Wasting Love

How good is Wasting Love on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Wasting Love

It's a good song. Unique for Maiden, more of a power ballad kinda thing.
The only thing I don't really like is using the phrygian mode in the first part of the chorus, I think it's doesn't fit the mood.

Anyway, it's good, but not great, so I'll give it a 7.

Good song, Bruce really nailed it live and it is different for them.

I give it a 6 (wish 6.5 was an option)

This song is (much) worse than it tries to be.  The melodies aren't that great, the lyrics are only sort of good, Bruce's voice again isn't as good as it could be, and even the chorus tries too hard to be emotional and powerful, while it is neither.  I give it 6 for at least trying more than many other songs on Fear of the Dark.

Good song. Pretty powerful. As pointed out by Mega, Maiden ventures into 90s power ballad mode here..

The lyrics are pretty good and you can tell they are Bruce pent by the way he also performs this song, he sings it very well, especially on the live versions. 6 out of 10 from me too.

Maiden have written some fantastic ballads during their Early Days and Reunion eras.  However, this anaemic effort is lifeless and weak in my humble opinion.  Wasting Love, wasting time.

10. One of my fave ballads! And it's Maiden first ballad (Strange World, Prodigal Son, Children Of The Damned aren't ballads); the song was written during Tattooed Millionaire sessions (as was Man Of Sorrows, too) and was shelved. I think it's great that they brought it up for the FOTD album 'cos it's a very sincere ballad which Maiden didn't even used as a lead single and didn't cashed easily with it, and also, never played it again after the 92/93 tours. Janick solo is pretty memorable and well written, the mood of the tune is very emotional, very sincere and I can't see what's so wrong with it. Another different avenue the band took and made it successfully. Hope to see it live for the last time, in some of the coming celebratory tours.

8 out of 10... I've always liked this tune, even though "power ballad" is usually right up there with "fingernails on a chalkboard" for me. Great vocal by Bruce...

SixesAlltheway said:
Interesting information Jeffmetal  :ok: I did not know that Wasting Love was originally a Bruce solo song. Wonder why it did not make his first album. It also makes more sense now why Bruce introduced and sang this song very passionately live..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzK4MnbCaC8

Man, I knew from the moment I posted it that you'd pop in this thread and make some comment. :D The footage from your link is from Monsters Of Rock, in Reggio Emilia, Italy on September 12th, 1992 (one day before my birthday). OFFTOPIC: This is a fantastic festival and Black Sabbath performance from this festival, opening for Maiden, is one of the best live performance one can ever see. Check it out if you're into Sabbath.

What makes Wasting Love even better is that it wasn't overplayed.

I love this song! One of my faves from the album! A solid 9/10 and one of the best Maiden ballads, second only to children of the damned (but tied with OOTS for me :) )

I was surprised to learn many years after the fact the band had released this one as a single. I get why some would consider it soulful. It’s a solid hard rock composition and Bruce offers up one of his better performances of this era. But it’s just not, well, Maidenesque enough. It’s fine, but it has never really grabbed me. The definition of a six.

Jeffmetal said:
the song was written during Tattooed Millionaire sessions (as was Man Of Sorrows, too) and was shelved.

Source?

Not that I don't believe you immediately, but I like to know where the info is coming from.

Thanks in advance.

This is the only song I can think of where I prefer the studio version to the live one. I particularly think that the guitar harmonies translate horribly live. I just cringe every time I hear them on Live at Donington or A Real Live One. It sounds OK in the studio, and the song isn't half bad. Although I think Bruce is a bit of a hit and miss when it comes to ballad writing, and this is one of his lesser ones. 6/10.

Enjoyable enough, but nothing special about it. I think when it comes to ballad-like Maiden songs, Out Of The Shadows blows this one out of the water. There's nothing wrong with this one, though. 7/10.

8/10

an under rated classic. Bruce sings the lyrics with such passion and janick delivers possibly his best solo ever. One of the first tracks i noticed on fear of the dark

A quick observation on FotD:
Not that repeating itself has ever been a huge problem for Maiden, but we're six songs in, and no two are remotely alike.
And none of them follow the template of any song that came from the albums before.
As mixed as most rankings have been, you have to give the band major points for attempting to spread its wings a little.

Interesting indeed. And this is also the album of which were played the least songs live, relatively speaking:
"Just" 5 out of 12 songs.

Foro, I swear to you I read that, but can't present the source as the definitive evidence. One quick story: some people are saying that Wasting Love is 'unmaiden'...well, it was 2 years since my turntable had fucked up, back in 1992, so I didn't buy FOTD for obvious reasons; on September 1st, 1992, I was at home, in the afternoon, going to take a shower and I always take a sound system 'cos I love listening to music while in the bathroom, my mom was picking the towel for me on my request and as I turned on the radio, the radio station jingle and slogan came on and that doubled guitar intro started and as it hit my ears, I screamed to my mom "It's a new Iron Maiden song!!!" We listened to it all the way through and when it was finished, the announcer just said "this is a new Maiden song - Wasting Love".

Maybe it's just me, but, it was since the first notes unmistakeable Iron 'kin Maiden. Great memories! :edmetal:

Back