Veddertown's Top 40

veddertown

Invader
Since I'm going to turn 40 next week it seemed like a good number to limit my list to and I've had so much interest in reading all the other lists and countdowns I thought I'd give it a go. I have given all the albums a listen recently including particular attention to the Blaze albums which are new to me. I'm 40 next Thursday so the final instalment will be then. Here goes....

40. WRATHCHILD

I love this Dianno era track as much now as I did when I first heard it 30 years ago. Uncomplicated with a great bass intro and quite deep and searching lyrics it must be one of the most played songs in the Maiden catalogue. This always brings a good response live and for all the intricate songs they've written this is a really enjoyable addition to any setlist.

39. MOONCHILD

Seven deadly sins..... I still get chills from this intro and it was as great a way to begin a gig as it was the Seventh Son album. The entire intro from the acoustic part right up to the point where the vocals begin was an amazing way to get the crowd into a frenzy. The lyrics set the tone for the story of the album so it had to be strong and each verse does the concept justice. Bruce sounds really menacing in the middle section and I don't think Maiden have started an album as strongly since then although The Wicker Man pushes it close for me.

38. TO TAME A LAND

The Eastern themed guitars in this song are the main reason I love it and the intro solo is very atmospheric too. Good Nicko performance and although I read Dune in my teens it didn't really influence how I view the song. I read once that the first tension that appeared between Bruce and Steve came because of the lyrics, "He is the Kwizatz Haderach, he is born of Caladan and will take the Gom Jabar." I think there were arguments on many occasions between the two and I remember Bruce making some comment about Steve's lyrics for Alexander The Great too and how he made his life as vocalist really difficult. Either way he pulled this one off perfectly and the driving guitars and bass make it a great ending to Piece Of Mind. I wish they would play it live again but they have too many epics for it to have a chance.

37. PASCHENDALE

A very different intro which doesn't scream out typical Maiden but quickly this segues into another historic tale told very well in a style that only Maiden can do. This is another one of those songs that captures the imagination and puts you in the driving seat. If there was a song to throw an orchestra at in the Royal Albert Hall I'd have this one. One of the best songs since Bruce and Adrian returned.

36. THE REINCARNATION OF BENJAMIN BREEG

The intro is very reminiscent of The Evil That Men Do and when the vocals come in they draw you straight in. Excellent guitar sound and Bruce hits the high notes very strongly. It doesn't go into that extra gear for me that could have pushed it higher, maybe top 20 but still it is another great song just missing a bite in the middle. Like Paschendale I could talk about this song a lot more but there is so much good writing in the commentary section about these songs that I'm keeping it brief.

Well as you will have seen the first three you posted have just come off the press with my countdown... sitting around the high 60s so no big disagreements from me, all great songs with some real love for the Wrathchild basswork that kicks my ass. The last two however ill tip for coming pretty high up ;) with me at least. oh and psst,  :ninja: PFD (paschen(Fukin')dale) is held almost holy around here, a bit low placed for me but a nice desciption although i could batter on about it till i was blue in the face.

35. ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG

One of SSOASS's greatest moments this one. Lyrically this song is fun as it comes with questions and questions of course need answers. When this came out I wasn't a huge fan of it for some reason but it has some superb guitar work and Bruce's vocals soar as they did all through the album. The verse, "Is death another birthday, a way to kiss your dreams goodbye, do the undead live within us and look through our eyes " is one of my favourite Maiden lyrics. The commentary on this forum for this song and the album is worth checking for those who haven't already. I love how the acoustic part which precedes Moonchild has a reprise after this too.

34. THE PRISONER

There's absolutely nothing in this song that really stands out to make it a logical choice to be higher than anything in this list or even be in it at all. The spoken intro bores me now after all the times I've heard it but Clive Burr's drumming on the intro, the vocal harmonies on the chorus and the solos make this song an 80's classic and it was a fun live song on the SSOASS tour.

33. CHILDHOOD'S END

I'm really not the biggest fan of the FOTD album and never have been but recently I've been giving it another chance so it doesn't get consigned to the dark recess of my hard drive. This song I can't even comment that much on as it has only crept into my playlist in the last few weeks but it builds nicely, the lyrics are good and it is probably the strongest song vocally on the album. This is a really poignant,  meaningful song and I can't understand how it passed me by for so long as it overshadows much of the album.

32. MOTHER OF MERCY

2010, a new album and yet another war song to digest and compare to the many others and like many of those it is again very strong. I was hoping this would make the setlist this year but it wasn't to be. The verses in this song get stronger right to the last and it juggernauts to a close. Great guitar sound and it would have been really heavy live. Bruce pushes his notes to the higher scale that would be borderline annoying but he just keeps it together. This grows on me the more I hear it.

31. TRANSYLVANIA

The only instrumental to make my list and considering it was the first ever one it surprises me they've never produced a sharper one. This a terrific gallup and it changes pace back and forth fluently with swashbuckling guitars. Classic NWOBM sound and it compares musically to Phantom Of The Opera. This should still get played live to give Bruce a break and give more recent fans a good blast of vintage Maiden.

I'm thinking there should be a section just for these topics. Seriously, it feels like there is a new one every week.

Yeah i waited patiently for the end of Jupz's countdown then all of a sudden there were... Many
I think a limit could be better... mines still scheduled to outlive the rest going right now but the fewer at a time means everyones gets decent attention  :)

Mosh said:
I'm thinking there should be a section just for these topics. Seriously, it feels like there is a new one every week.

That's why I'm not gonna do mine until later, I've already got it typed out and everything

Tron said:
Yeah i waited patiently for the end of Jupz's countdown then all of a sudden there were... Many
I think a limit could be better... mines still scheduled to outlive the rest going right now but the fewer at a time means everyones gets decent attention  :)
To be completely honest, I think it's overkill. It was alright for the first few, but I'd rather not to see anymore.

Mosh said:
To be completely honest, I think it's overkill. It was alright for the first few, but I'd rather not to see anymore.

NP's and Tron's are the only ones I keep up with.

I was actually trying to create my list but I'm still yet to finish my Top 10. Because I seriously spend some time on the write-ups. And now I think noone's going to follow mine because of the overkill Mosh talked about.

I follow all of them, but its hard. I think there should only be 2 going on at a time. This way it lasts for longer as well.

Nice underrated picks of Childhoods End and Mother of Mercy! This could be my favourite list yet :)

I regularly follow Unknown One's and Night Prowler's list, and look at Tron's list every now and then. Best to probably wait for the current lists to end. Now that Unknown One's list is on hold though, and this is a pretty nicely written list, I could start following this one.

Not to offend anyone but this is a Maiden chat forum and yes I know forums can get congested with similar threads but it is what the title says. Look around at the thread titles and you'll sometimes see some pretty uninteresting topics so you know which ones to avoid. I don't expect an abundance of answers but people are obviously reading this so I'm fine either way. I enjoy discussing music and Maiden songs so will carry on regardless. If you don't want to know the results look away now.
30. HEAVEN CAN WAIT

This song musically is all over the place and the lyrics are cumbersomely squeezed in to fit around it but somehow it works really well. After Bruce sings the line "the path for you is decided," the real fun part of the song begins. After the initial whoa-whoa's the intrumental section blends in really nicely and it is probably one of the most textured pieces of music the band has written (certainly in the 80's). Then when the solos kick in all hell breaks loose again in the build up to the final verse and frantic ending. Not forgetting to mention what a fun live song this was with all the stage invaders. Nicko is a standout on this song as he is on various points of SIT.

29. STRANGE WORLD

This is one of the mellowest songs written during the NWOBHM. The bluesy solos from Dave and Dennis Stratton are gorgeous at times and Steve's bass lines add to the atmosphere. Definately one of my favourite Dianno songs and his voice does it great justice. I would love to hear Bruce have a stab at this live but don't think that is a realistic possibility.

28. NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING

I'm not sure if this song is regarded in much esteem around here but it always stood out for me in the same way Infinite Dreams did on SSOASS. I like how the verses are signed off with a warm sounding solo and the lyrics are really searching too. I'm sure there are many interpretations of the songs meaning but to me it feels like this is for anyone who has ever asked difficult questions. I heard this live before the recorded version and at the time it was a bit of a let down but I love it now. This should have been the centre piece of a much better album.

27. KILLERS

Another Dianno era song that was a staple of my teen listening. To me this song was always about Eddie and the imagery of the artwork during that era meant you didn't even need to paint a mental picture. I love how the intro builds although PD's Ooohhh, yeahs sound a little cringeworthy now and the false harmonics on the guitars make it sound really sharp. This is by no means a spectacular song and neither was the album but it captures the era well and Bruce relayed it well on the SSOASS tour.

26. SEA OF MADNESS

Adrians guitar riff and Nicko's drums make this song go from being a middle of the road rocker to something much better. This was such a good live song on the SIT tour and it's a shame it disappeared after that. The drums hit like gunfire and the bridge is almost poppy so why this works so well makes little sense to me. The almost danceable middle section has great vocals and then it charges ahead again at full steam. I would love another early years tour so songs like this could enjoy a resurrection. This song should have followed CSIT on the album I feel as Wasted Years seemed to knock the life out of the early momentum it created and was basically a road song which as good as it is didn't feel part of the album.

veddertown said:
Not to offend anyone but this is a Maiden chat forum and yes I know forums can get congested with similar threads but it is what the title says. Look around at the thread titles and you'll sometimes see some pretty uninteresting topics so you know which ones to avoid. I don't expect an abundance of answers but people are obviously reading this so I'm fine either way. I enjoy discussing music and Maiden songs so will carry on regardless. If you don't want to know the results look away now.
Well that's just the problem. When there are so many of these going on at once they are hard to ignore.

if everyone got put in a running order, one starting as another finished off there could be just one topic and everyones countdown would get full attention. plus i lose track of whos put what nowerdays mixing up unknowns list with prowlers etc.

A running order would be good, they have that on the Dream Theater forums and it works out alright, but people are always so slow to update over there. But here that isn't a problem.

3 overrated songs, but No Prayer and Strange World are great picks! :ok:

I see that everyone likes to do these lists of favorite songs. This is my first post so by way of introduction. My name is Whooten Anit. I have been listening to Maiden since 2000. My top 20 songs are:
1. Hallowed By Thy Name
2. Wasted Years
3. Still Life
4 The Trooper
5. Phantom of the Opera
6. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
7. Revelations
8. Powerslave
9. To Tame a Land
10. Brave New World
11. The Wicker Man
12. Children of the Damned
13 The Evil That Men Do
14. El Dorado
14. Caught Somewhere in Time
15. Fear of the Dark
16. Killers
17. Murders in the Rue Morgue
18. 2 Minutes to Midnight
19. The Duellists
20. The Final Frontier

Nice list! Interesting to see El Dorado so high. Great to see love for Duellists and TFF :)

Back