Van Halen (Roth era) vs Van Halen (Hagar era)

Which era do you prefer?

• Roth era

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Hagar era

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Neither. Cherone era smoked both.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not that familiar with Van Halen, but Roth sang Jump and Panama, so I vote Roth

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I'm not that familiar with Van Halen, but Hagar is a bad ass singer who outsings Roth in his sleep.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Halen? Isnt that a soda pop brand?

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
Forgot about that one, cool little song. It's a shame that another album never came out of that because Balance was an awful send off for the Hagar era.

That album did have its moments though. When it was good. it was up there with VH's very best. Check out the opening song, perhaps their heaviest number:

And this tasty instrumental:

It's a shame, the album had a really cool dark vibe and I liked the direction they were taking, the songwriting was really starting to mature. Unfortunately there are so many throwaway songs that it's easily their worst album. A major disappointment.

Seventh Seal is another good one I haven't listened to in ages.
And why was Eruption the only VH song in the instrumentals games?

It's really too bad what's happened to Eddie. Guy really was a rare talent.
Substance abuse is a sad thing.

I'm definitely voting Hagar-era. There really is no competition, I just like the whole musical style and vocals better. Songs like "Right Now", "Dreams" and "When It's Love" are definitely the flavour of Van Halen I like the most. "Jump" is a cool song, and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" is without a doubt my favourite Van Halen-riff, but David Lee Roth was never much of a vocalist in my taste.

The only Hagar era album I really like is 5150, which is admittedly fantastic. However, the rest are overall pretty boring and missing the edge the band once had. The Roth era is classic, with the only weak entry being Diver Down. I also love A Different Kind of Truth.

That's a tough one. Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone are better singers but David Lee Roth was the best singer for Van Halen. I tend to think the same about Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne's involvement by the way (the least gifted singer technically but the one that fits the band better than any other).

Roth era. But I liked the "Neither. Cherone era smoked both." option:D I just gavc some of the other replacement singers another go. Corabi, Cherone, Ripper. Corabi and Cherone had the material, but Ripper had the live albums

Roth had/has "it" that transcends his vocal abilities and is one of the better front men ever live. ... add to that, just fantastic songs on those early albums that had a real nice edge to them. I think they captured a lot of that on A Different Kind of Truth, I really like the single guitar playing over the bass ... they really went away from that from 1984 on .. until ADKOT came out.

I like Sammy, but not so much in VH ... same with Cherone.

Back