USA Politics

I think Trevor Noah said it best. Whenever there is any other type of crises the problem is actually addressed. A bridge falls? Infrastructure is addressed. A plane crashes, plane safety is addressed. But every time there is a mass shooting or shooting of any sort guns are never honestly talk and throw around the usual talking points and that's it.

It's a truly a sad event. Country or Metal, redneck or hippie, no one deserves this.

Jimmy Kimmel rules. And agrees with me by not beating around the bush. It IS good to be direct and clear about this. It is good to talk about the real problem. I, however, chose to be cynical and have gotten to a point where I do not want to waste emotion anymore about American mass shootings and gun culture. I chose to make it ridiculous. But deep down the emotion is still there and Jimmy Kimmel worded it well. Not afraid to address the real issue either. Respect for him and others who speak out like this.

He also repeats my thoughts by saying that long barrels are legal for anyone basically and that's not a defensive weapon.

Here's why nothing will change.

1. NRA as a representative of gun enthusiasts and gun manufacturers invests $250 million each year in advocating gun rights to politicians. Many US politicians have their careers dependent on the funding NRA provides. The association is so powerful it can make or break politicians. Nobody wants them as enemies. They make sure that any movement towards ever so slightly stricter gun regulations will be portrayed as "dem gub'ment is tryin' to take yer guns!"
2. Massacres such as those of Las Vegas and Orlando are actually good for the gun industry. There's a mechanism in place that is highly favourable for weapons manufacturers and distributors: Massacre happens -> Public debate about gun control begins -> People fear the government is trying to ban gun sales -> People run out and buy guns as long as they still can -> Vendors profit -> Manufacturers profit -> Stock prices for manufacturers and vendors rise -> A lot of people get filthy rich -> More money can be invested in ensuring the government isn't going to take anyone's guns. Why would anyone involved in this cycle want to prevent this from happening?
3. Most people who own guns don't go on shooting sprees. They don't want their guns taken away because there are psychopaths around. To them, a lunatic going on a shooting craze is to guns what a fatal car crash is to cars. It's impossible to rationalise that this is not the case, because they won't listen. I know people like that outside of the US. I tried to argue with them. It's not possible. They don't want anyone telling them they can't have a gun.

You can get all worked up and as emotional on the subject, you can make as dramatic as an appeal as you want, it's not going to change. Ever. Invest your energy in something else.

The main argument of the pro-gun crowd is that most attackers obtain their weapons illegally anyway, so taking away the guns will simply leave the normal folk helpless against them. The problem with that is that when so many guns go into the market, as there's a strong demand for them, it becomes way easier for criminals to illegally obtain them. Just saying "But it's illegal" doesn't address the root of the problem.

While I agree with Per's take above, I do think changes can be made. Not an outright ban or anything, but just having a harsher policy on non-defensive weapons would be a start. Everyone is well aware that many Americans collect assault rifles and the like as a means to show off, and that's utterly ridiculous. The glorification of guns in the U.S. is utterly ridiculous.

Not an outright ban or anything, but just having a harsher policy on non-defensive weapons would be a start.

Won't happen. Obama tried to introduce an assault weapon ban after Sandy Hook in 2013. It got shot down 60-40 despite a Democratic senate majority.

Yeah, I've long since come to the conclusion that shootings like this are simply part of the USA's culture. They accept them and refuse to do anything about it.

It's them and their mentality. You can do jack shit about it. Gun culture yeehaw. Look at this, sentence after sentence

In Croatia, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law

The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in Croatia is 950,000 to 969,160
The number of registered guns in Croatia is reported to be 371,702 to 376,000

The defence forces of Croatia are reported to have 260,689 to 619,200 firearms
Police in Croatia are reported to have 14,000 to 38,700 firearms

We have more dakka dakka than all the King's men. 2/3 which is illegal. There's also a standing law that allows you to surrender weapons without any consequences. I also try to restrain myself from criticizing, Americans should try to restrain themselves from thinking other peoples are alien to the issue.

t3_746sww

No, they were banned specifically in the 90s, and the provision ran out in the Bush years.

So what have Trump and his team been up to lately?

- Attending an NFL game with the sole purpose of leaving it early (VP Pence)
- Arguing with another Republican senator
- Attending international talks about North Korea (Tillerson)
- Saying said talks are a waste of time (his boss)
- Denying the NBC article claiming Tillerson called Trump a moron
- Suggesting an IQ test to prove that he is, in fact, not a moron

Adult day care center indeed.

Good thing they're not wasting their time with important things, like helping Puerto Rico or other hurricane-hit areas.

Good thing they're not wasting their time with important things, like helping Puerto Rico or other hurricane-hit areas.
Well, since you mention it...

President Trump served notice Thursday that he may pull back federal relief workers from Puerto Rico, effectively threatening to abandon the U.S. territory amid a staggering humanitarian crisis in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.

Declaring the U.S. territory's electrical grid and infrastructure to have been a “disaster before hurricanes,” Trump wrote Thursday that it will be up to Congress how much federal money to appropriate to the island for its recovery efforts and that recovery workers will not stay “forever.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rid_collaborative_1_na&utm_term=.72ce491e9098

Wonder how long it will take the Puerto Ricans to come up with the idea that they'd be better off if they were their own country. I wouldn't blame them, honestly.

Back