USA Politics

Well he's about to get nuked by China, I guess that pokes some interest in the topic....

I think Travis is legitimately concerned for the security of his nation, that's all. And to be fair. US blowhard vs NK blowhard is pretty big right now.

The security of his nation can only be compromised if conflict gets hot and China gets in. There's only one way that could happen, USA attacks NK first. NK won't attack first because they lose their biggest advantage, the Chinese back. So in his shoes I'd be more worried what kind of idiot is running my country than following a nuclear warning forums. IMHO

Travis, what's with the special interest? And DEFCON warnings?
Even though nothing has come from all the threats and missile launches, the whole situation with NK is a very intense one for me, the most since 9-11 and I really like to follow and keep up on it. And I like the way Trump is handling the situation. It's about fucking time we had a president who won't put up with their shit.

Neither were actually existing African nations.

DKGDXAKVwAA1dAd.jpg

Trump's UN speech was unacceptable.

For a position of POTUS. This is not 1990. There are three superpowers on the planet. He is living inside his own bubble where he can buy off or purchase to the goal. Again neither is the year 1990 and neither are politics real estate business.

I'll say this ... the sanctions he announced yesterday were pretty strong, he got buy in from Japan and South Korea .. and even China thew down banking sanctions against them. Kim has backed himself into a corner and it is good to see pattern of saber rattling resulting in aid seems to be done.

Credit where it is due on this one ... but yeah, he is still generally a jackass.

You really think economic sanctions work against them? I'd think that extremely low consumption economy of 20 million people can be barely sustained with rice smuggled from China, and that's what they're doing all the time. Their budget is also based on money laundering and drug production so unless China changes it's attitude towards NK you can't hurt them. I mean, winds gonna do shit if the whole house has got only two walls left, that's analogy for their economy. Non-strict border control with China is their window to make budget in illicit way, because they are so distanced from worlds trade mechanisms, and its chief actors that hate them (and vice versa), for decades. I don't think you can hurt them like Russia, a country integrated in worlds financial world.

No, the added sanctions change nothing, it's a charade. The primary play here is China vs U.S. on the Pacific and NK is China's bulldog on a short leash. It's simply not Chinese to not control what the rocketman is doing. To have a small rogue state like that in the long term Chinese planning is simply inconceivable. Therefore it is not.

The way the Chinese have traditionally viewed the world is a helpful lens to understand their ambitions in North Korea, as well. Simply put, the Chinese believe very strongly in their sphere of influence, and they object strenuously to anyone else interfering in that sphere. In the modern world, the sphere is quite tightly limited - Russia became antagonistic towards them following the Sino-Soviet split, India, Bangladesh and such also oppose them; Taiwan is literally their oldest enemy. Vietnam and other areas in Indochina have a deep-seated distrust of China due to the ambitions of the Imperial state, and they fought an on-again, off again war until 1990. This leaves pretty much one country in which China can exercise a legitimate sphere of influence - North Korea.

In Imperial days, China controlled several smaller nations via a series of methods, but the most instructional one is their meddlings in Mongolia during the pre-Genghis Khan years. Basically, China ensured nobody could gain dominance there, both out of a desire to defend themselves from the potential power in a Mongolian unified nation, but also to ensure there was no others influencing the region. It remained just dangerous enough that nobody else wanted to fuck with it, even though it was a clear and present danger in some circumstances. That's similar to the line China walks right now. China plans a long game, and there's no way they're going to let anyone else gain influence in North Korea - even if that means some proverbial egg on their face.

Back