USA Politics

Something good happened in American politics. Without decrete, a quick defeat.
There goes Trump's biggest election goal. Straight down the toilet.
Well done, also to the Republicans who planned to vote no vs Trump's alternative for Obamacare. If that would have come through, that would be low.

@LooseCannon on that terrible pipeline through Indian territory, how do Canadian politics look at this? The damn thing starts in your country. Do they protest against the way money will be made at the costs of threatened people and nature? Do they raise alternatives or consequences? Or is this purely a (convenient) business matter?

Last edited:
There goes Trump's biggest election goal. Straight down the toilet.
Not just Trump, virtually every Republican elected since 2010. What happens in 2018 when reps who ran on "repeal and replace" are up for reelection?

Well done, also to the Republicans who planned to vote no vs Trump's alternative for Obamacare. If that would have come through, that would be low.
Right for the wrong reasons. We'll see if Trump keeps to his word of "coming after" the Freedom Caucus Republicans (I suspect he will). The ones in deep red districts are probably safe, but you may see a purging of one of the more extreme factions of the GOP.

@LooseCannon on that terrible pipeline through Indian territory, how do Canadian politics look at this? The damn thing starts in your country. Do they protest against the way money will be made at the costs of threatened people and nature? Do they raise alternatives or consequences? Or is this purely a (convenient) business matter?

Foro - we have no pipelines going through India. I'm not sure what you are referring to, unless you're using a rather outdated term for North American First Peoples.

So, when it comes to pipelines, I'm not sure if you're talking about Dakota Access or Keystone XL. I assume it's the latter - Keystone XL starts in Canada - so I'll talk about that. There has definitely been some concern, but enviroidiots are primarily working on opposing a major Alberta-BC pipeline that is now under construction rather than worrying about Keystone XL. Definitely some of the Natives in the Canadian route have worked with US Natives on opposition, but who knows what will happen there.

If you're asking for my personal opinion, the simple fact of the matter is that pipelines are statistically the safest way for humans to move large volumes of oil. I certainly think that First Nations need to be respected and I certainly believe that pipelines need a huge amount more regulation and law enforcement than they receive. But while pipeline spills are really bad, you're more likely to spill when shipping by truck or by train. Pipelines are far less likely to detonate in areas people live (like the Lac-Megantic massacre in 2011).

All that being said, I really think we need to increase the regulation of the pipeline industry, and to work on anti-spill technologies and defenses, but I would rather see a pipeline that spills oil that can be cleaned up than a train that blows up inside a town and vaporizes 40 people again.

I guess I better skip this North American/English politically correctness discussion (go protest at Iron Maiden ;--)- but indians is still the term where I live and it is broadly in use. Just like eskimos. And for the record: We call people from India differently, so we never had problems separating these folks.

Technology aside, United Nations condemned the dumb route of this pipeline. Are you defending the route? Your government should make a plea, in case they haven't done anything.

Last edited:
My government approved the route in Canada; what say do they have in this time over the route in another country, especially a country run by a moron?

The route was picked many years ago ... then it took longer than World War II lasted to approve or deny it .. it was denied, then that denial was overturned .. but the route still needs to be approved by Nebraska

Land use/imminent domain/other issues aside .. which are a much larger issue beyond this ... pipelines in general are a good thing .. as LC said, the best way to move oil and many of the people opposing this are doing so for "corporations bad/oil bad" reasons and would be protesting not matter where this route was. Which is somewhat idiotic, because it is the safest way to move oil and like it or not, oil is not going away anytime soon ... and more of it/the lowest possible cost of it is a good thing for so many reason.

The longer than WWII was a discussion on a particular route going though (mostly) the middle of nowhere. But, I would imagine someone would have an issue with any proposed route.

I guess I better skip this North American/English politically correctness discussion (go protest at Iron Maiden ;--)- but indians is still the term where I live and it is broadly in use. Just like eskimos. And for the record: We call people from India differently, so we never had problems separating these folks.

I don't want to stir this too much, since it's just a side note, but these people you call Indians and Eskimos have repeatedly asked to stop being called that because it's offensive to them. It's not a case of someone with too much time on their hands thinking up a new politically correct way of saying things, but of people who feel discriminated against by the use of these terms.

How do you know that some of our North American members (or potential future members) don't identify with that nationality?
... and that they care ... some of the locals of that "nationality" that I know roll with native america, indian, american indian, just america, or their tribe name.

I've found it depends on the tribe. Lots of natives in CO and they all have different preferences.

That's very scary. Trump has betrayed a huge amount of people who voted him, and may have casted an unnecessary stone here.

Back