1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpopular Maiden Opinions

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by THESEVENTHMARINER, Aug 31, 2014.

1. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

I respectfully disagree; pile of poo, if you ask me.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. GhostofCain

Blimey, that is a godawful song if there ever was one. Not as bad as The Angel and the Gambler, but quite close.

MrKnickerbocker likes this.
  3. Ruflux

Ruflux Nomad

Any album with the Angle on the Gambler on it is automatically disqualified from being up for consideration for better than literally any other album. Add Steve's majestic drums debut and VXI totally loses out on the performance front too.

soundwave likes this.
  4. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Gosh, I hope that's sarcasm.

Good thing this song isn't on Virtual XI then.

TheTalisman and Forostar like this.
  5. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Some newbies will learn there are people out here who like more Blaze-era songs than just the ones performed with Bruce. Disagreement expect they can.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    TheTalisman and Ariana like this.
  6. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Have you heard live versions of Lightning Strikes Twice?

7. Ruflux

Ruflux Nomad

I'm absolutely fine with people liking Blaze era tunes, but my point ultimately is that The Angel and the Gambler is a bad enough tune to drag down the album a lot by itself. This combined with the bad production and the strangely basic drumming kind of kills any momentum achieved with Futureal and I don't think the album ever really picks up after that. It just feels lifeless. All the tracks are vastly improved live (well, except for TAatG) where none of these issues come into play, but that doesn't fix the album for me.

8. GhostofCain

Unfortunately I have.

9. GhostofCain

Thanks. As I will turn 41 next week it is quite refreshing to be called a newbie. It makes me feel young again.

That being said, I am one of those who likes more Blaze-era songs than those performed with Bruce. I think that Fortunes of War, for example, is better than Futureal.

Black Bart likes this.
  10. bornless1

bornless1 Messiah Supreme. True Leader of Men.

I agree BNW, writing wise has a similar feel to the Blaze era. But is a polished version with outstanding production.
    As for DAnce of Death? Not even close. DOD is a perfect Maiden album, and I think Represents a 2nd peak for the band.
    From first listen I recall thinking " they're back baby!" It is a throwback to the classic era and IMO right there with Piece of mind and Powerslave as best albums ever put out by Maiden.
    Unfortunately, they kept up close to that level with AMOLAD then have slipped a bit backwards with FF and BOS. Still all five upgrades to the Blaze era though..especially virtual...

11. Hi All

Long time viewer, first time posting

Just wondering, if the four BNW songs and No More Lies (although I understand NML is more rumour) were completed/available at the time of recording VX1 what would you say would be the best tracklisting? Based on 8 songs

Black Bart likes this.
  12. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

I really can't understand why this song made the album, let alone be included in the live setlist and promoted as a single. A bad self-parody in my opinion.

13. Black Bart

Not a "from best to worst" (or the reverse) list but an 8-song album along your criteria... or rather two: one would have too many long ones for the album to have good balance.

Version 1
    TAATG (trimmed version, sans-keyboards)
    Lightning Strikes Twice
    Blood Brothers
    Dream of Mirrors
    The Mercenary
    The Clansman
    The Nomad
    Como Estais Amigos

Version 2
    Dream of Mirrors (had it been a bit shorter, it would have functioned well as an opener I think)
    The Mercenary
    When Two Worlds Collide
    The Clansman
    Blood Brothers
    The Educated Fool
    Como Estais Amigos
    TAATG

14. srfc

srfc Nomad

I'm leaving out No More Lies because that theory is just fantasy

For me the best 8 songs would have all those BNW songs plus Futureal, The Angel and the Gambler, The Clansman and Como Estais Amigos.

It would be a pretty unbalanced album.

IMO The 4 I left out from Virtual XI are among the very worst Maiden have ever written even if there are some sections of the songs that I like. Lightning Strikes Twice maybe my least favourite Maiden song.

EDIT:
    The Virtual XI leftover songs are unquestionably the ones I think hold back BNW from being as strong as the rest of the reunion albums. Blood Brothers is the only one that's great.
    Dream of Mirrors is too long and the intro is terrible as is the fast chorus that doesn't really fit the metre of the song.
    Mercenary is a harmless enough throw away song.
    Nomad has really silly lyrics and I used to like the instrumental section until I found out it was stolen from Beckett.

Those 3 songs are as weak as Maiden have delivered in the reunion.

Black Bart and GhostofCain like this.
  15. GhostofCain

Agreed.

16. TheTalisman

TheTalisman F├ągel

Futureal
    The Mercenary
    Lightning Strikes Twice
    The Clansman
    Dream of Mirrors
    Blood Brothers
    The Nomad
    Como Estais Amigos

runsilentrundeep likes this.
  17. This would probably be my album choice as well!

Although I do like all the songs on VXI there are a couple of tracks that could have done with some heavy editing. I think we all know which songs they are!

18. Black Bart

I do too. I have never liked "Futureal" very much, a rather run-of-the-mill opener in my opinion ("Different World" is the only one I dislike more among openers). I like "Fortunes of War" a lot, the bonus is that it includes a "signature" Dave Murray solo.

19. GhostofCain

To be honest, I quite like Different World with its Thin Lizzy flavour.

20. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

:nuts2:

soundwave likes this.