1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpopular Maiden Opinions

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by THESEVENTHMARINER, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

TCW isn't very Maidenish. Maybe he thought Bruce was travelling in a different musical direction.

Mosh likes this.
  2. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

I doubt Steve gave it more than one listen to be honest.

3. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

:lol:

The Chemical Wedding is an absolute masterpiece, but some of the material was miles away what Steve would have considered playing back in 1998.

Funnily enough, some of the recent heavier tracks with Dickinson, Smith and Harris getting sonwriting credits are not miles away from The Chemical Wedding...

4. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Agreed. But Zare is right with

5. Seventh_One

Seventh_One Slave to the Power of Death

I agree on how good No Prayer is....also I think Fear of the Dark is their second WORST album only to VXI . I like about half of those albums.

6. bornless1

bornless1 Messiah Supreme. True Leader of Men.

Fully agree with the respect for sun and steel and quest for fire: it is my opinion that they suffer from being the ... least special... two songs on an outstanding album.

Every other song on the disc is phenomenal, and are for the most part fan favorites.

New frontier is soooo incredibley under rated too. Catchy as heck. I almost always hit repeat for a second and third listen when it comes up in rotation. Of course DOD itself is the most under respected album of all time. IMO...

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Deus_Adrian and Whooten like this.
  7. Donner

Donner Ancient Mariner

I definitely agree with this. I understand the lyrics may not be everyone's cup of tea but the music itself friggen rules. The highlight being Bruce's sustained "war of god and maaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAn towards the end. Always thought it was an awesome song.

bornless1 likes this.
  8. TheTalisman

TheTalisman Fågel

By reading this I came to think of an old article with Bruce from 1996 in which he was asked about the album, and I managed to find it again.
    http://www.ram.org/music/articles/dickinterview.html

Seventh_One likes this.
  9. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Invader

TBH, Quest For Fire and To Tame A Land don't jell so well with me. However, Sun and Steel I fricking love. There's something about the chorus that makes me love it (and "Life is like a wheel" sounds stupid when you hear it but something about that line makes me enjoy it even more). And of course the rest of the song is good too, enough to rival even The Trooper IMO.

Honestly, Piece of Mind as an album doesn't do much for me, but the individual songs (excluding the two I mentioned above) are great.

10. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

I LOVE Sun&Steel!
    POM probably has the best individual songs, but somehow suffers from the lack of energy, between TNOTB and Powerslave (and especially Killers)

11. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

They probably have a lot of revenue - but revenue is not profit they can just pocket. We simply do not know how much they make on a tour. Only that there's a lot of money involved.

I think that is true about most of the business. No one makes as much you think they do.

12. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

And it can be justified by listening to 95% of Maiden's catalogue! Yes, "Quest for Fire", "The Duellists", "The Prophecy", "BOTWH"... I'm talking to you! :)

13. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

And don't forget Hallowed! I mean, those lyrics are pretty difficult for the singer. What was Steve thinking when he penned those...

14. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

Greatest vocal lines ever.

15. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Except Steve didn't write half of 'em.

16. bornless1

:funnypost:

They are great lyrics, resurrected and refined into a great song. At least Steves' end product did the song justice. Nowadays, especially in the pop and :puke:rap genre, too many great original songs are ripped off and butchered. Then passed off as their own to neive fan bases.
    Besides, the lyrics and melodies simply 'seeped into the song from his memory' as I recall reading:bigsmile:...now the turds get some backpay for their support roles in writing Hallowed and a bit of Nomad. Everyone wins.

17. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

Steve obviously did "accidentally borrow" some lyrics from the said song. At the time, Maiden were just another unknown band, borrowing some lyrics from even more unknown band, who were evidently not going to score any success with it (as it was already 10 years old). Steve probably didn't expect to have problems with it 35 years down the road, due to something called the Internet.
    But anyway, Steve & company actually did something out of that song, and had (a lot of) success, unlike Beckett, so evidently those lyrics alone were not crucial for Hallowed's success.
    Same thing with all those blues songs, which nobody would ever have heard about were it not for Led Zeppelin's first album. They just made it theirs, and that's that

soundwave and bornless1 like this.
  18. Welsh Phantom

Welsh Phantom Educated Fool

Morally .... maybe.

Legally definitely not, in this day and age. I have a feeling years back loads of songs could have got into similar trouble if they were still popular and selling now.

19. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

Sadly, yes :rolleyes:

20. bornless1

Does it bother anyone else that hallowed is constantly described as "the 'most popular,', or ' centerpiece', etc. song in the Iron Maiden catalog?"
    Whilst it is among the favorite songs by the band, this sort of exaggeration is often used to diminish the songwriting by Steve/ Iron Maiden, IMO. One article and I paraphrase, referred to HBTN as crucial to the bands popularly, is the 'most beloved song' and has been the one that catapulted them to fame.
    And yes it is popular and has been beloved . However these are tactics are intended to puff up the article and dramatize the importance of these 'victims' in the bands historical success. Money grab/click bait.
    Iron Maiden, as we all know, would have been just fine without HBTN. Number of the Beast was a huge success. And thrust them to the top of the metal world more on the backs of Run to the hills and the title track . Of course they sustained with POS and the rest is history. Here in the states anyway.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    soundwave likes this.