1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpopular Maiden Opinions

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by THESEVENTHMARINER, Aug 31, 2014.

1. THESEVENTHMARINER

THESEVENTHMARINER Ancient Mariner

I don't think there's a thread like this, I did have a look but I couldn't see anything. So, what's an opinion you have about Maiden that may be unpopular with other people...

Mine is that I don't think Somewhere In Time is that good of an album. I've tried to listen to it, multiple times, but it's never clicked. Although, Alexander The Great, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait are great tracks.

:)

2. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Rime isn't best Maiden song and it's very overrated (still awesome though :p).

3. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

The X-Factor is a top three (more like top one) Maiden album.

Wally Swift and JudasMyGuide like this.
  4. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

'Wildest Dreams' is a fantastic song.

Chartwell likes this.
  5. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Love threads like these.

• No Prayer For the Dying is a really good album. Not their best, but far from their worst. As far as 90s albums go I'd probably rate it 2nd only to X Factor.
    • Quest For Fire and Sun and Steel are awesome. Especially the latter. There is so much cool stuff happening there, it blows my mind that it isn't as popular as other songs from the album.
    • Drifter is a great song and a fun way to close an otherwise dark album.
    • Fear Of the Dark (the song) is massively overrated. It's the audience that makes that song cool live, not the band. On its own, its just as bad as every other song on the album (excluding ATSS). I wish they'd fill that concert time with something else.
    • New Frontier isn't that bad.
    • Killers is way better than the debut. Like, lightyears better. It's a near perfect album. Don't get me wrong, the debut is great too, but Killers is just on another level.
    That should be enough for now. :p

6. Unknown One

Unknown One This is fine.

Songs that I feel are overrated - Hallowed (there I said it), Number of the Beast, Flight of Icarus, Fear of the Dark, Brighter than a Thousand Suns
    Songs that I feel are underrated - Strange World, Die With Your Boots On, Stranger in a Strange Land, Mother Russia, The Unbeliever, Virus.

I don't rate the album of Matter and Life or Death that highly either.

Mosher Zone likes this.
  7. Night Prowler

• I agree with this.

8. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Most of the "filler" on Dance of Dance is pretty good, especially Age of Innocence.

9. Black Wizard

Oooo good one. I love 'Drifter'!

10. RTC

RTC Libera et impera!

Out Of The Silent Planet is one of the greatest Maiden songs, and the best on BNW.
    Piece Of Mind is rather overrated. It's better than Killers, and that's about it from the 80's albums.
    Run To The Hills and Number Of The Beast are so "overrated", that they're underrated.
    Judas Be My Guide and similar songs are so "underrated", that they're overrated.

Chartwell and Crimson Idol like this.
  11. Collin

Collin MARK IT ZERO!

- Heaven Can Wait is top 10 material.
    - Aces High is overrated
    - Drifter is Amazing
    - The Wicker Man is overrated
    - I don't like the studio version of Phantom of the Opera
    - Judgement of Heaven is awful
    - Can I Play with Madness is awesome.
    - Dave is better than H
    - The Fugitive is better than everything else on Fear of the Dark.

12. harrisdevot

harrisdevot Ancient Mariner

Unpopular opinion ??

Here is my list :

I find Revelations and 2 minutes boring.
    Killers is a fantastic record (couldn't say it better than Mosh)
    X Factor is masterpiece.
    Paschendale never did it for me, except for the fantastic opening theme (so I LOVE the first ten seconds)
    I just can't look at Janick onstage
    I don't appreciate Starblind and tend to skip it most of the time, because I think this is played too fast
    Quest for Fire is one of my faves on Piece of Mind
    I'm much more into Burr's drumming than into Nicko's
    I admire Rod Smallwood very much (I don't know if it's unpopular, but some fans seem to have rather mixed feelings in that respect).

13. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

- That act where all guitarists and 'Arry get together during Trooper is annoying.
    - Quest for Fire is a really good song.
    - No Prayer is on par with Killers as an album.
    - Fear of the Dark's studio version is awkward sounding.
    - Fear of the Dark is a horrible album, would give it 1 out of 5 at most.
    - To Tame a Land is up there with any Maiden song there is.
    - Aces High is far from being Maiden's best opener.
    - Flash of the Blade is one of Maiden's best songs.
    - Sanctuary is a horrible song.
    - A lot of Maiden songs suffer from length problems.
    - Maiden is really bad at writing choruses (with exceptions, ofc).

14. Night Prowler

I can understand everything, but what exactly can be annoying about this?

15. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Recent live versions sound awkward. So slow, that I wonder if they're slower than the studio version.

16. Black Wizard

Potentially controversial Maiden opinion: it's perfectly acceptable to like Iron Maiden songs are are frequently played live. It's even ok to prefer them to songs which are have rarely (or never) been played live.

17. Mosh

Agreed. A lot of songs seem to get overlooked by fans and called "overrated" because they get played a lot. Those songs are popular for a reason, they're awesome. I still love The Trooper and Number of the Beast.

Do I want to see them live every time though? Probably not. It was refreshing getting a break from those songs in 2010. But I don't like them any less.

18. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

It's OK for newbies (people who have seen Maiden one or a few times).
    .... and for people who really do not mind about setlists at all (in general).

19. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Haven't heard them so cannot say anything about the matter.

Don't know, Maiden is such a "Go out and play" band that a little "act" like that looks weird. When they do do acts, they're mostly well prepared and cinematic. (Bruce's Dance of Death intro, for example)

Sure it is. I think people get concerned about that thing simply because they don't like "n00bz" to be put in the same company (true and true fans) as them.

20. Mosh

It's okay for anyone. Maybe people like the overplayed songs the most, despite hearing everything else Maiden has done. Nothing wrong with that.