UEFA EURO 2016

Which country will you root for?

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
World Cup had its own thread, I think the Euro should have one too.

I'll slowly update this post with squads and schedules as I collect them all:

Cj3DylnWsAAA9wb.png
Cj3aUGYWgAA9Ltv.png
Cj0bBzaUUAALHAP.png
Cj2wq83WUAA-ZeE.png
Cj3nkpUXAAEUpDt.png
Cjye8XsXAAAolWU.png
Cjyt-J4W0AAC6Go.png
CjyAgqWVAAEsm3l.png
CjykbhnWgAEGtLp.png
CiQ1NqEXEAQqM0M.png
Cj0TrvjUYAA2K83.png
Cji1DzBXAAA1ZWW.png
CjyMYIMUkAAgNd2.png
Ciuqz6vXEAAgfpD.png
Cj2zT9oWEAEpUdk.png
Cj4STmNWUAARlcR.png
CjycD3QWkAA6Lma.png
CjyXeowUUAAbxc-.png
Cj0GMnBUoAA0h7c.jpg
Cj28ajwW0AAZigW.png

Which teams will you root for and who do you think will win?

Last edited:
I'd like to see the following countries do well:

I expect more from Poland these days, compared to what they did in relatively recent other tournaments. I doubt if they can reach the level of the seventies, but it's looking good. Iceland is really good. Very strong team. Hard to break.

Other countries which never came far, but I like them for different reasons: Switzerland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Belgium.

Which I think will win? Hard to say. I have always had trouble with mentioning a country being different than the ones I am rooting for. And it still hurts that the Netherlands are not present.

We'll be in a major competition for the first time since 2008, where we made the Semi Finals. I don't know about success, but I do know one thing: We'll bring in some excitement. Never has been a competition where Turkey was a boring team.

Aside from my own team, I'll be cheering for the hosts, France.

Think Germany will win.

Last edited:
We really needed such a thread, so thanks NP! :okok:

I'm really looking forward to the games, and I usually prefer Euro Cups to World Cups. I'll be cheering for England, Italy and Germany. I would also be glad to see Iceland do well.
I would not root for Spain and Albania at all.

Never has been a competition where Turkey was a boring team.

Well, they did play in the dullest match of all time, against Sweden in Euro 2000. A highlight reel might have included particularly exciting throw-ins and the occasional offside situation.

Let me rephrase then,

Never has been a competition that I watched live where Turkey was a boring team.

:p

This is the first time I'm completely underwhelmed about any footbal cup (world or european). I was even planning to go to France but deceided to stay home after what happened in Bruxelles.
I was just watching the groups and completely forgot who was in whose group and who made it to EURO and who stayed home. Really hard to predict who is going to pass the group, let alone go to semi/finals.
That said, I always root for the underdogs (no love for France, Spain, Italy and/or simmilar teams).

Spain's preliminary squad (I'll only put final squads in the opening post):

CipqvSTXEAAbIWU.jpg:large

Bartra and Vázquez being included is just baffling. Del Bosque really loves including as many Real and Barca players as possible no matter how they play. Baffling how Vázquez got even in the preliminary squad ahead of Mata and Diego Costa. It's also gonna be the biggest farce ever if he still starts Casillas ahead of De Gea. Also Torres is in great form and is a big game player, should've been included over Nolito IMO.

EDIT: Just noticed there's no Javi Martinez or Cazorla. Latter I can understand, he was injured for a long time, but former had to be called ahead of Bartra and San Jose.

EDIT: Just noticed there's no Javi Martinez or Cazorla. Latter I can understand, he was injured for a long time, but former had to be called ahead of Bartra and San Jose.

Also, no Juan Mata and Diego Costa. Haven't heard anything about them lately but I expected they would go to EURO. Whatsoever, they will pass the group (I predict that 3 teams from that group will pass to round of 16).

Marco Verratti out for the tournament. There goes my favorite player in the world :( Italy is gonna miss him, they have next to none creativity without him.

Marco Verratti out for the tournament. There goes my favorite player in the world :( Italy is gonna miss him, they have next to none creativity without him.
Marchisio too. I don't expect them to do well.

Injuries have fucked them over, Verratti and Marchisio won't play and they don't have any good box-to-box midfielders, just a lot of CDM's like Montolivo, Motta and De Rossi. Maybe Jorginho and Parolo can play there but I wouldn't expect too much.

And also Conte is a horrible fit for a national team coach. I think the best way to success is finding the right formation at the beginning of a qualification cycle and not changing the core of the team. That's what Hodgson did with England. Conte on the other hand changes the formation and invites lots of debutants every time and just flat out ignores some players who are in great form but don't fit into his tactics.

IMO their best team would be:
Buffon
Darmian Barzagli Bonucci Antonelli
Jorginho Motta/De Rossi
Candreva Insigne El Shaarawy
Balotelli​

but Conte is probably gonna go with something like:
Buffon
Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Candreva Montolivo De Rossi Motta Darmian
Zaza Pellé​

Honestly, if I'm Italy I go with full on catenaccio. Their squad is nowhere near good enough offensively to play a balanced game, certainly not for an offensive one. Turn games into grindouts and take your chances with it. So I think your proposed Conte lineup is the better option. A midfield trio of De Rossi-Jorginho-Insigne is begging to be exposed by a quality midfield.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't like watching them and cheer against them. Especially when the team is offensively capable of playing great football.

Atlético Madrid under Simeone is the only defensive team I enjoy watching and it's because they apply constant pressure and player movement, which makes for an enjoyable display.

Last edited:
Back