Tyranny Of Souls

Strangely, the new album was available in hungary almost a week before the offical release. So, I bought it, and so, I liked it. Not as good as Accident of birth or Chemical wedding though, it still rocks. Say, it is 8/10. Kill Devil Hill is a masterpiece and Power of the Sun is another favourite of mine (especially before my exams). I even kind of like devil on a hog. Well, kind of. Believil on the other hand is a piece of crap.
All in all, this is a great album, and a must-have for all those, who love Bruce`s works. By the way, does anyone know, what are the last words of kill Devil hill? After the chorus i hear something like "secrets" and "dreams", but I couldn`t figure it out what exactly it might be...

[!--QuoteBegin-DOD=WEAK+Jun 1 2005, 09:44 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DOD=WEAK @ Jun 1 2005, 09:44 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] Why do you make me do this?!?
[snapback]106786[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Why do you want to make me kill you! [!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I repeat: don't feed the troll... [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It looks like you didn't quite get it, Pineapple Hunter.... never mind.

Troll is someone who starts arguments on a message board, PH. Obviously not you.

[!--QuoteBegin-DOD=WEAK+Jun 1 2005, 01:55 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DOD=WEAK @ Jun 1 2005, 01:55 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Why do you stalk me?
[snapback]106607[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I read all posts because amazingly, I moniter the forum... [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My first thoughts on the album after listening to it twice: It's very good, if perhaps not as consistant as TCW. Highlights appear to be Navigate The Seas Of The Sun, River Of No Return and A Tyranny Of Souls; Kill Devil Hill and Devil On A Hog also stand out for me. In general, though, the album still has to sink in.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jun 1 2005, 10:42 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jun 1 2005, 10:42 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Troll is someone who starts arguments on a message board, PH.  Obviously not you.
[snapback]106811[/snapback]​
[/quote]

well i havent argued for about 3 days! i maybe able to beat the habit! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

my fave album of this year so far.... [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jun 3 2005, 07:16 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jun 3 2005, 07:16 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]lol, that gives me an idea.  Special board?  TA - Trollers Anonymous?
[snapback]107089[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Deffo [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Alright now, after listening to the album again and again, I'm ready to write a small review.

This album lacks both the continuity and intensity of The Chemical Wedding. While there is a general lyrical theme present (the destiny of mankind, as Bruce commented) that do create some sort of relation between the songs, they do not add anything to each other as in TCW.
That having said, in contrary to most opinions I've read from Maidenfans regulars (which, although interesting to read, have been worth a wet fart to mine), I think the album is fucking great.
It begins with a haunting intro, which however fails to reflect the mood of the album, as the listener will learn later. Abduction is a fairly standard opener, not bad, but not particularly great, if you know what I mean; it's a good, nice heavy metal song.
Soul Intruders is a fun piece, but also not particularly noteworthy in comparrison with the rest of the albums material. However, I have to say the chorus is great.
Then comes the real treat- the holy trinity of Kill Devil Hill, Navigate The Seas Of The Sun and River Of No Return.
Kill Devil Hill is one of the most dramatic pieces of music I've heard in a while. You can really hear the mans passion for flight on this song.
The next song, Navigate The Seas Of The Sun is my favourite of the album, and the one I play the most. It has been in my head for nearly a week now, almost consistantly, and i just can't get enough of it.
River Of No Return is almost as good, more on the heavy side, but to me, it still goes together with Navigate...
The Power Of The Sun is a fairly standard rocker, much like Abduction and Soul Intruders- good, but not particularly great.
Devil On A Hog is also a nice song, very catchy, but not as great as some others on this album.
Now, BeliEvil is what you could call the albums let-down track, if only because it is the least memorable of the albums songs. This is really nothing special, and it is also a bit boring.
A Tyranny Of Souls is a return to the path of glory left after River Of No Return, a great song with great lyrics that is a worthwhile close to this indeed worthwhile album.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Jun 7 2005, 07:31 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Jun 7 2005, 07:31 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Then comes the real treat- the holy trinity of Kill Devil Hill, Navigate The Seas Of The Sun and River Of No Return.
Kill Devil Hill is one of the most dramatic pieces of music I've heard in a while. You can really hear the mans passion for flight on this song.
The next song, Navigate The Seas Of The Sun is my favourite of the album, and the one I play the most. It has been in my head for nearly a week now, almost consistantly, and i just can't get enough of it.
River Of No Return is almost as good, more on the heavy side, but to me, it still goes together with Navigate...
[/quote]

I'm in agreement with you.Those three tracks are my favs as well! [!--emo&:chug:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/beerchug.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'beerchug.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I think the two songs I listen to most are Navigate the Seas of the Sun and A Tyranny of Souls. Those are easily my favourite songs from the album.

Has anyone else noticed a creepy similarity between the themes (if not the music) of Navigate the Seas of the Sun and [span style=\'color:red\']B L A Z E[/span]'s Stare at the Sun?

Well, 'Tyranny of Souls' is without a shadow of doubt one of my fav Metal albums ever.However, it cannot keep up with 'Chemical Wedding' and I still don't know if it's better or worse than 'Accident of Birth'.Anyway, I know for a certain that I like it better than many Maiden albums.

I'd rate the songs like this:

Kill Devil Hill 10/10
Navigate the Seas of the Sun 10/10

River of no Return 9.5/10

Soul Intruders 9/10
Mars Within/Abduction 9/10
Power of the Sun 9/10

Tyranny of Souls 7/10

As for 'Believil' and 'Devil on a Hog', well I must admit that I consider them to be rather weak.'Devil on a Hog' is not only out of place here it must also be one of the worst things Bruce ever did.I never liked 'Tatooed Millionaire' and this song would perfectly suit there.

As I use to skip both 'Devil on a Hog' and 'Believil' I cannot rate them, yet they'd be rather low in the scale.

Nevertheless, all other songs manage to make up for this and as I've stated before, both 'Kill Devil Hill' and 'Navigate the Seas of the Sun' must clearly become classic Bruce songs, I bet!

welll i love the album , i give it 9/10, i love abduction and the river of no return and kill devil hill, i think its a great album, bes tone hes done so far [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back