Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still don't see the big deal about the Duellists solo, the other 3 solos are all way better and more exciting. And I've heard all the solos for this game like 20 times each while cutting them for the video.

I for one had expected some more votes for Stratton's Transylvania solo. Not that it would stand much chance to win this group, but six is not much really.
The solo is a great match with the menacing riffs underneath: I like how it follows the pattern of the riffs a couple of times. It has a nice build-up, it has aggression and a good combination of slower and faster notes.

TFF and Duellists. I love Children of the Damned, but the solo by itself doesn't stand out. The Duellists is a truly underrated Maiden song, and the solos are a major reason for me liking it.

Exactly. Children of The Damned is probably the best song up there...but that solo is nothing special. Just repeats the same thing.

The Duelists solo is amazing! :yes:

Last edited:
It's a showdown between those two other guys that play guitar in Maiden! ;)

That's Dave Murray & Janick Gers, for those of you who thought Adrian Smith did all the guitar work on all of Maiden's albums...

I want to argue that the "Gates of Tomorrow" solo is cut short in the video. It continues beyond that little harmony, that is also as much part of the solo as for example the harmony Adrian puts into his solo in "When the Wild Wind Blows". I'm pretty sure he does that harmony by overdub himself too.

But man, did you just put two awesome Janick-solos in one? "Gates of Tomorrow" (098) and "Ghost of the Navigator" (080) gets my votes. Miles ahead of the TNOBT and QFF solos.

I want to argue that the "Gates of Tomorrow" solo is cut short in the video. It continues beyond that little harmony, that is also as much part of the solo as for example the harmony Adrian puts into his solo in "When the Wild Wind Blows". I'm pretty sure he does that harmony by overdub himself too.
You could see this as one awesome Janick ramble. However, I have considered it but in the end I did exclude it because I see the part after the harmony as a second (thus separate, different) solo.
But man, did you just put two awesome Janick-solos in one? "Gates of Tomorrow" (098) and "Ghost of the Navigator" (080) gets my votes. Miles ahead of the TNOBT and QFF solos.
Personally, I do not like the Gates of Tomorrow solo much. Messy, and not that memorable. Ghost of the Navigator however, is one of the Gers greats.

I find Adrian's Quest for Fire solo very cool. It's a short and not too complicated solo.
What I like is that it is catchy and raw at the same time. Rock and roll! You can feel that vibration in his sound and hear the aggression in his playing. Check how he rams that first chord in the 2nd quarter and you know what I mean.

Quest for Fire and Ghost of the Navigator.

I know we're not supposed to rate the solos based on how well we enjoy the song, and I'm not, but I can't help but take into consideration how well the solo fits in with the rest of the song, and when Janick's solos on the songs he's written, well it's peanut butter and jelly. It's something that both him and Dave are really good at. Adrian not so much, but he makes up for it with some of the best sounding solos in Maiden.

Now if only Janick could make his solos fit into songs that aren't his own.

Number of the Beast and Ghost of the Navigator... though the Gates of Tomorrow solo is quite impressive when separated from the song.

Don't usually care for his solos, but Ghost of the Navigator is one of the best guitar solos on a Maiden song. He knocked it out of the park with that one.

QFF and GOTN, easily. That Gates of Tomorrow solo is typical Janick mush and wailing, and TNOTB is just alright.

That Ghost solo, though, holy crap is it good.

Back