Tournament of Champions 2013: Results Thread - Stargazer wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters

Mosh

PM me your Nightwish album rankings!
Staff member
VOTE FOR THE BEST SONG IN EACH PAIR! THIS IS NOT A SURVIVOR

Welcome to a very special game, something SMX tried in the past that was a lot of fun. I've taken the top 4 from most (if not all) of the 2012/2013 survivors and placed them against each other in random seeding. Some match ups are slanted, but this forum tends to yield interesting results anyway, so this should be interesting!

Once we've narrowed it down to ten songs, they will face the top 5s from the Dave Murray and Adrian Smith Maiden survivors. Among other things, this means no Hallowed Be Thy Name dominating the game.

This should be fun.
Most of round one was very easy: Love, Tone, Barchetta, Circle, Wait.

Wasn't too familiar with the Gamma Ray and Dream Theatre songs but I definitely did not have the patience for DT, at least today.

Among the Living, Octavarium, Red Barchetta, Bleak

I've only voted for four songs as I don't know any songs from the other pairs.

Rocket Queen
Among the Living
Octavarium
Red Barchetta
Tortured Tone (flipped a coin to vote, too close to decide otherwise)
I Don't Believe in Love

Winners:
Rocket Queen
Among The Living
Octavarium
Red Barchetta
Tortured Tone
I Don't Believe In Love

Harder round this time I think. Really sad to see some of my favorite Foo tracks up against those behemoths. Decided to at least throw Monkey Wrench a bone, since I listen to that more anyway. Couldn't bring myself to vote against DOA however.

Ouch, this round hurts a bunch.

#2 Van Halen vs #2 Anthrax, Top 5 Dio vs a song I love (even though I don't listen to Foo Fighters that much overall) and 2 awesome songs in Villa and Stranger.

So Indians, Time, Monkey Wrench, Stranger, Darkside, Land of the Free

Rough matchups.
I love all the songs in 3,4,5
Don't care about any of the songs in 1,2,6

Winners:
Panama
Time
Falling Off the Edge Of the World
Eyes Of A Stranger
Darkside Of Aquarius
Land Of The Free

Xanadu
Didn't vote
Tears
Unchained
Revolution Calling
The Sentinel
I haven't heard A Change of Seasons yet, as I'm saving it for a rainy day.

Xanadu, Puuuuuuuuuuuuuure Evil, Stygian (Actually surprised at the results of this pairing), Unchained, Rebellion, Sentinel

Surprising easy overall. Tears is great (top 5 Bruce for me), but Stygian is in my top 10 songs of all time. Also sad to see the best Power Metal song of all time losing.

I'll make a case for Rebellion in Dreamland: Lots of Maidenish ingredients: Changes. brilliant melodies, slashing riffs. Last but not least: Bombastic and epic! If you don't know this song and haven't voted yet, don't go blindly for the Queensryche song. First take a listen to this (unfortunately no studio version on YouTube, so I went for this live version recorded in Berlin):

(If you think the vocals suffer a bit just try to imagine Geoff Tate doing Revolution Calling these days, and realize that Kai Hansen plays the axe as well. ;-)

Back