Tourist question to all American people in here, help appreciated

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
For my sons 18th birthday & school graduation next year in March I am still plannig a trip with him to the USA.
A while ago I asked you American friends in here if Chicago was worth doing a trip for a week (compared to New York City), and I thank you all for your kind help and input on my question. But now I'll have to come up asking you again, cause the situation had changed the following way: My son already went to New York two weeks ago with his mother, so now the decision has changed into whether going to Chicago or San Francisco instead.
What is the cooler city to go to for a week, Chicago or San Francisco? To me both seem equally exciting in different ways.
Relevant aspects are: cultural life, museums, spirit of the city, art & history, food & restaurants
Irrelevant aspects: sports, partying/drinking

Thank you!! :)
(I'll post a photo of me and my son in the end - wherever the trip will lead us at last B) )

:):):)

Last edited:
For my sons 18th birthday & school graduation next year in March I am still plannig a trip with him to the USA.
A while ago I asked you American friends in here if Chicago was worth doing a trip for a week (compared to New York City), and I thank you all for your kind help and input on my question. But now I'll have to come up asking you again, cause the situation had changed the following way: My son already went to New York two weeks ago with his mother, so now the decision has changed into whether going to Chicago or San Francisco instead.
What is the cooler city to go to for a week, Chicago or San Francisco? To me both seem equally exciting in different ways.
Relevant aspects are: cultural life, museums, spirit of the city, art & history, food & restaurants

Thank you!! :)
(I'll post a photo of me and my son in the end - wherever the trip will lead us at last B) )

:):):)
Let me express my preference please. I am not a North American citizen but I always I wanted to go to San Francisco. I would choose One week in San Francisco and around there.
You could do & visit:
  • Golden Gate Bridge and Golden Gate Park
  • The legendary Lombard Street
  • The Cable Car
  • Alcatrazz
  • Chinatown Japan Town, Little Italy, Sausalito
  • The Palace of Fine Arts
  • Haight Ashbury (the flower power borned there) and Jimmy Hendrix Museum
  • Mission District (the origin of the city of San Francisco)
  • Martime Museums with some submarines from the II World War
  • The Aquarium with Sea Lions…
  • The Financial District
  • Twin Peaks mirador (It's not the village of David Lynch tv series LOL)
  • The weather, the food, the earthquakes…(I'm kidding)
  • The famous Fillmore
  • Rent a Ford Mustang like the one of Steve Mcqueen used in the movie 'Bullit'
(Maybe you spend 3 days visiting these places)

and if you want to drive and go to Los Angeles to:
  • Visit Hollywood and the several Cinema studios
  • Yosemite and Sequoia Parks.
  • Long Beach Arena, the Forum…maybe some interesting gig there

I was in San Francisco for a week back in 1995 when I was ten, and I think it's safet to say that it was a very memorable trip. I still remember Fisherman's Wharf, cable car rides, Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Ghirardelli, Alcatraz and mostly Napa Valley and the redwoods - that alone is worth the trip, IMHO.

As a native Chicagolandian, I would always recommend the city for tourists. However...
...this pretty much makes the choice for you. Go to San Francisco.

There's amazing culture, art, history, and definitely food in Chicago, but it is a very sports and drinking-oriented town.

Back