Tour de France

Yep, there's more that meets the eye. And a cool bonus imo: the scenery: (helicopter) views of towns, landscapes.

That was the reason I became hooked to Tour de France, actually. Turkish version of Eurosport had a walking encyclopedia like announcer that handled the tour and he'd have some great conversations with his guests about the cities that the tour went through, the landscapes and the sorts.

The Norwegian TV channel which xovers the TdF has one of those as well - plus a former TdF participant who will share stories from his time as a pro athlete. Makes the coverage pretty interesting.

Both my brother and father are huge fans (way bigger than I am). They do not only watch this, but also the classics in the rest of the season. While my brother enjoys the duo presentation on Dutch public television, two guys who sometimes have different opinions on matters (which makes for interesting discussion), my father prefers the Belgian commentators who according to him are much more knowledgeable.

That was the reason I became hooked to Tour de France, actually. Turkish version of Eurosport had a walking encyclopedia like announcer that handled the tour and he'd have some great conversations with his guests about the cities that the tour went through, the landscapes and the sorts.

Saw an article published today by that walking encyclopedia like announcer explaining that he had to get his leg amputated, because of his inability to walk as a result of the osteid cancer he had 15 years ago. I'm a big fan of the guy, very saddening news. He's only 35 years old.

For the first time in history, an African wears a classification jersey at the Tour de France.
480059306-daniel-teklehaimanot-of-eritrea-and-mtn-gettyimages.jpg

Daniel Teklehaimanot from Eritrea has the honour!

For the first time in history, an African wears a classification jersey at the Tour de France.
480059306-daniel-teklehaimanot-of-eritrea-and-mtn-gettyimages.jpg

Daniel Teklehaimanot from Eritrea has the honour!

That's racist :p

No, I'm joking, but to nit-pick; two others have had jerseys, but they were both white, from South Africa. And strictly speaking, they're Africans too.

Is that true about these South Africans? Well, I certainly agree with you. Then all the media where I saw this, handle this wrong. :down:

The Norwegian TV channel who covers this, rightfully told that he was the third competitor from Africa to hold a jersey. The other two were Robert Hunter and another I can't remember right now.

I think the other guy held the points (green) jersey, i'm quite sure it wasn't the mountain jersey. Ergo:

It is a first, but if your source said Teklehaimanot was the first African to hold a classification jersey, the source is wrong. He's the first black African to do so, but the third African. Write an angry letter to the media outlet who told you this :D

Today the Tour cycles along the Tarn river. Through the beautiful Gorges du Tarn (canyon formed by the river). Brings back nostalgic memories from a holiday.
We stayed one night at Le Mas Rouch, owned by a lady with a heavy stubly beard. We called her Mrs Lubbers, since our prime Minister Lubbers also had such a beard.

600px-Gorges_du_Tarn_Point_Sublime.jpg

I missed that.

I had a lot of fun seeing how that Brit Cummings beat those two Frenchmen, who defintiely thought one of them would be the winner.

From the bus:

Back