1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total Eclipse

Discussion in 'The Number Of The Beast' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Total Eclipse on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

14.6%
  2. 9

14.6%
  3. 8

9.8%
  4. 7

29.3%
  5. 6

19.5%
  6. 5

9.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

2.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sth2112

Sth2112 Nomad

Also not a very good song, bit slightly better than Gangland. 7/10

2. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

6/10

Total Eclipse, though not great, is far superior to Gangland (and Invaders). It is a mid-tempo, crunchy tune with a sinister vibe that would have made for a perfect transition between the upbeat Run to the Hills and the dark Hallowed Be Thy Name. The guitars are menacing and Bruce’s voice is surprisingly gritty (a tone he would revisit on the much maligned early 90s albums). The bridge is a bit muddled, with cluttered lyrics and a seemingly random solo followed by a strange wailing refrain. Total Eclipse is an atypical Maiden song, sounding more like classic heavy metal or hard rock, but Bruce’s range is impressive and it’s certainly a better song than the waste that is Gangland.

3. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

Definitely high on my wish list of deep tracks I would love to see brought back to the set one day.

4. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Quite an underrated song this.

I like the subtle changes in tempo and Bruce is brilliant on this. But otherwise nothing much stands out. Just makes a 7

5. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

A good song. As stated before Bruce shines on this one. I also like the tempo changes.

7/10

terrell39 likes this.
  6. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

Taken from the Official Rankings thread:

"Three general comments - one, this could have fit in on No Prayer For the Dying. Two - a Black Sabbath vibe. Three - should have been on the original release of the album rather than Gangland."

I disagree with all three statement actually. Firstly, this could not have fit on No Prayer For The Dying. Try The Number of the Beast and you'd be a little more accurate. Secondly, I hear no Sabbath vibe. I only hear Maiden. Thirdly, I think that while it should've been on the album, Gangland deserves its place as well. The 1998 remaster got it right.

Oh, and I also have a problem with its ranking. #111 is too goddamn low. Try somewhere in the Top 20 and you'd be a little more accurate. I love this song. One of the finest Maiden has ever made. 10/10.

soundwave and terrell39 like this.
  7. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

The interest thing about Total Eclipse is that the main riff is a fairly stock glam metal riff of the era, yet in Maiden hands, they make it sound sinister and adventurous (the lyrics also really help).

Love the breakdown for the solos. And yeah, I completely agree that Gangland deserves to be there. Not sure why Gangland gets hate. It's not world class like some of the others, but it serves it's purpose and helps with pacing.

There is zero chance this would fit on No Prayer.

Diesel 11 likes this.