Total Eclipse

How good is Total Eclipse on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Total Eclipse' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

Likewise, as tastes are pretty subjective and personal, I prefer to leave the appreciation of the song to a democratic vote and you can rate the song here. It would also be nice if you could let us know why you like/dislike it.

Cheers! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

'total Eclipse'

One of the heaviest songs they ever did, I'll never understand why they made it only a b-side in the first place. Thanks to CD it's now included on the album, and it fits very well in there.

'total Eclipse'

is it just me or does that song have a "Black Sabbath" feel to it. You know, that heavy, hauling rhythm sure sounds like early Sab to me - but that's not a bad thing, is it? Great track, it should have been on the album instead of Gangland.
4 stars

'total Eclipse'

'Gone are the days when man looked down.
They've taken away his sacred crown.
To be set free, it took so long.
It's not journeys' end. it's just begun.'

This part of the song, to me, simply proves that Bruce never sounded better before or after.

'total Eclipse'

[!--QuoteBegin-Cosmiceddie+Feb 27 2005, 10:22 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Cosmiceddie @ Feb 27 2005, 10:22 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This part of the song, to me, simply proves that Bruce never sounded better before or after.
[snapback]98691[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah, it's a great part. But I think he's smashing on Moonchild too, just as an example.

'total Eclipse'

[!--QuoteBegin-welma+Jan 8 2006, 12:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(welma @ Jan 8 2006, 12:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I know a lot how people have said this already, but why just a b-side? It´s way too good.
[snapback]126596[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think it didn't fit on the original LP. From what I've heard, they had to decide between cutting Total Ecplise and Gangland from the original list. I think both tracks are good but not excellent so I could see the decision going either way. On the other hand, the solos on Gangland are fucking awesome and it'd have been a shame to cut them out of the album.

'total Eclipse'

This is my least favorite song on the album. It's a good song, but I never liked it much myself. I tried, but just couldn't do it for some reason. 3.5/5.

Daily Song: Total Eclipse

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Total Eclipse

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I like this song better than Gangland, but I never felt it was special. It's not not special, though. I do like the intro, but the song just doesn't feel like it goes anywhere. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Total Eclipse

Yup, better than Gangland, but still, nothing special. I really like the bridge.

7/10.

A step up from Gangland (and it should have been chosen over it on the album), I like it, but it's not up with the best. It's a 6 or 7. Since I'm in a good mood, I'll round up and say 7.

8/10. Very good song. I used to play this quite a lot way back then - obviously, it was not on the original release of The Beast, but I had Run to the Hills on picture vinyl. And how I almost wore it out.

It really should have been on the album as oppose to Gangland.

This song remains a B side for me. It would fit right in on NPFTD though. It’s OK, but kinda meh, like Fates, Public Enema and that stuff. Five

Like I said with Gangland, this should have been chosen on the album instead.  It's a pretty good song, but it's not catchy, energetic, or epic enough to go against the likes of The Prisoner, Invaders, or Children of the Damned.  7.

This one gets 6 from me.

As many said and I agree, it's better than Gangland however that's not saying much. It will never be at the level of the likes such as Number of the Beast, Children of the Damned, etc. Ok song tho, nothing special.

Yeah, another 6. I enjoy it when it comes on, but I don't think I've ever deliberately put it on.

I gave it a 7, decent song, better than Gangland for sure.

Like what has been stated, this should have been on The Number of the Beast instead of Gangland even if it is one of the weaker tracks on the album. Not a bad song, it's just not up to the caliber of the best songs. 7/10.

9. This a cracker Sabbath like intro and some amazing vivid lyrics (which doesn't seem to have been penned by Steve. It sounds like Bruce, although he's not credited). The gear shift to the solos part then to the outro with arpeggios and Bruce's dramatic vocalizations are stunning.

All has been said. Better than Gangland, nice, catchy tune, good lyrics. 7/10.

Back