Topical Playlists Topic

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
Here's a thread for you to suggest me what to put into my playlist. I'm rather fond of making lists that revolve around certain topics for whatever reason, and this is your chance to help me out!

Playlist Topic #1: GOOD VS EVIL

That's right, the age-old struggle of good vs evil shall be my first topic. I'm a bit lazy at the moment, so the only playlist components I can think of right now are:

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Iron Maiden - Moonchild (+most of the Seventh Son album)

Any suggestions welcome! Suggestions I deem worthy will be included above.

Helloween, Keeper Of The Seven Keys.

How about some James Bond themes? You Know My Name, Live And Let Die?

Hmm, mostly good suggestions, but don't you guys have something that is straight-out God vs Devil or something?
I found a great one while doing a search for "hell" (436 hits, but that also includes stuff like "Hello, I Love You" and "Michelle"... where is that brick wall smiley?): Gamma Ray - Heaven or Hell.
Ooh, here's another one: Judas Priest - Saints in Hell

Perun said:
Hmm, mostly good suggestions, but don't you guys have something that is straight-out God vs Devil or something?

Genesis, "Supper's Ready". An apocalyptic battle of good and evil, partially inspired by the book of Revelations. And as you know, the inspiration for some Sign Of The Cross lyrics.

The song has been highly regarded by fans for its epic nature and cathartic climax, with Gabriel in particular delivering an emotionally charged vocal performance at the close of the song. Referring in part to the song's lyrical depiction of a struggle between good and evil, Gabriel has been quoted as saying he felt he was "literally singing for his life" in the recording studio.

Not metal, of course. It is rather the epitome of 70's progressive rock, and it's over 20 minutes long. But well worth it.

The main keyboard solo is called "Apocalypse in 9/8". The band plays in the odd time signature while Tony Banks solos in 8/8 - so the solo goes in and out of phase with the rhythm every 8 bars.

Perun said:

Wasted said Keeper of the Seven Keys... that's as Good v. Evil as a song gets...

I'd Suggest Tierra Santa's El Baston Del Diable, Juana de Arco and Azote de Dios

The Virgin Steele albums The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part I (1994) & The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part II (1995).

Not really about a battle between good and evil, but these albums contain some awesome songs, especially Part II.

Virgin Steele - Crown of Glory
Virgin Steele - Twilight of the Gods
Virgin Steele - Rising Unchained
Virgin Steele - Victory Is Mine

Also I recommend the Invictus album which is the third part of The Marriage of Heaven and Hell saga, exploring the relationships and conflicts between humanity and divinity.

Virgin Steele - Through Blood and Fire
Virgin Steele - Veni, Vidi, Vici

To everyone who's never heard about this band, this is a well kept gem from the United States. Intelligent songwriting, strong melodies, guitars and of course the excellent vocals by David DeFeis. Check it out!

Resurrection! I suggest another topic, if it's ok with Perun :S

Playlist Topic #2: END OF THE WORLD

Primal Fear - Armageddon
Gamma Ray - Armageddon
Iron Maiden - When The Wild Wind Blows
Iced Earth - Travel In Stygian

R.E.M.-It's The End Of The World As We Know It
Megadeth-Rust In Peace...Polaris

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Thor - Ragnarok
Running Wild - Apocalyptic Horsemen
Dio - The End of the World