1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 5 Iron Maiden Album Covers?

Discussion in 'Best of / Worst of Polls forum' started by Hallowed be thy Brain, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

I see potential in Dance of Death, but I'd like to have seen it finished, or with the dancers removed altogether.

2. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

Something was fishy about that avatar of yours.

3. Brigantium

I think it was meant to look like a Hieronymus Bosch painting, nude figures and grotesques cavorting, a chaotic scene of temptation or of Hell itself. I don't know why they decided to go with the unfinished version. Maybe they thought it gave it a modern touch if it still looked decidedly computer generated, rather than too closely resembling a 15th/16th Century painting.

4. Hallowed be thy Brain

Hallowed be thy Brain Infinite Dreamer

I love The X-Factor and I must admit the cover was a good idea but, it was executed poorly.

5. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

It was one of the biggest mistakes in the history of man.

Forostar likes this.
  6. Brigantium

Cheers, Saap :p

7. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

The figures are misshapen and in a different manner from the ones in Bosch paintings. More info here.

8. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

That would've been so cool if they had got it right. Even the version without the figures, as seen in the tour poster, would've been great. Although poorly executed, I liked the vibe they were going for.

Brigantium likes this.
  9. Moon Child

Moon Child Smithed

1. Somewhere in Time
    2. Live After Death
    3. Killers
    4. Fear of the Dark
    5. Number of the Beast

10. I would personally like to see Derek Riggs take the band to court over the rights to Eddie. Yes, they did have a 'head' onstage in the early days called Eddie, but the Eddie everyone knows was created and drawn by DR for the first album. The way they have treated him hasn't been the best after everything he did for them, rejecting his artwork etc.

11. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

They weren't obliged to take his artwork. That would be the stupidest lawsuit ever.

Moon Child and The Flash like this.
  12. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Why would you personally want this to happen?

13. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Not sure if serious...

14. Perun

I think he is. And that makes me sad.

15. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Lack of AMOL&D on these lists is disturbing.

16. The Flash

1. Powerslave : All time favorite of mine. I have a pretty big flag of it hanging on the wall next to my bed. Amazing usage of colours, a creative composition and is very much in your face, meeting the power of the album and the album title.
    2. Somewhere in Time : A very nice sci-fi work. I love the modelling of Eddie. The details obviously make this cover, always fun to find new things on there.
    3. The Final Frontier : I don't think Eddie of this cover is well liked around Maiden fans, but I love it. It looks fierce. And the colours are just fantastic.
    4. The Number of the Beast: I like the idea of the Devil controlling Eddie and Eddie controlling Devil. The modelling is again, top notch.
    5. A Matter of Life and Death : Very creative. Great shapes, pretty much the perfect colouring for a war themed album. Very obvious that it's a work of a comics artist.

I love the Live After Death and Brave New World covers as well. Killers Eddie is the best Eddie modelling out there but the rest of the cover isn't that good.

17. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

AMOLAD? Looks like a Megadeth artwork.

18. The Flash

And that's a bad thing? Only thing they have in common is that some objects are up ahead, much like Megadeth artworks. Nothing else. No Megadeth album cover has a composition like AMOLAD does. Maybe Peace Sells but that's about it. And they're much brighter in colour than AMOLAD.

19. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

They're supposed to automatically use his art no matter what? Some of those rejected Riggs covers are really not good.

20. Perun

Yeah, they started rejecting his artwork for a reason.