Three in a row.

What is Maidens best run of three consecutive studio albums?

• Iron Maiden - Killers - Number of the Beast

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Killers - Number of the Beast - Piece of Mind

• Number of the Beast - Piece of Mind - Powerslave

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Piece of Mind - Powerslave - Somewhere in Time

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Powerslave - Somewhere in Time - Seventh Son

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Somewhere in Time - Seventh Son - No Prayer for the Dying

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Seventh Son - No Prayer for the Dying - Fear of the Dark

• No Prayer for the Dying - Fear of the Dark - The X Factor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fear of the Dark - The X Factor - Virtual XI

• The X Factor - Virtual XI - Brave New World

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Virtual XI - Brave New World - Dance of Death

• Brave New World - Dance of Death - A Matter of Life And Death

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
First three. I'm only a moderate fan of their stuff since NotB.

I voted for Brave New World- Dance of Death- A Matter of Life and Death. I honestly think these are the three most consistent consecutive albums Maiden has produced, although I must admit that I'm a sucker for their newer, more progressive, music. I guess it's the sound that does it for me, and also that the music not only sounds more refined but also more (how shall I put it?) mature. Put it this way: Maiden have only benefited from experience.

SD93 said:
There hasn't been a single vote for three that have No prayer for the dying in.

Should this be a surprise?

Great topic Albie.  This one really makes you think because compromise is involved.  I have two choices: 1) Beast to Powerslave; 2) BNW to AMOLAD.

While my four favourite albums would all be found in these two groups, the weakest of all six (Dance of Death) disqualifies choice #2.  Number of the Beast through Powerslave it is. 

This is no nostalgia for me since I would not have been listening to metal during the 80s anyway.  The golden years albums have some of the best lyrics (Hallowed Be Thy Name, Revelations), best riffs (Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Number of the Beast) and even the so-called fillers are often great (The Duellists, 22 Acacia Avenue).  My other favourites like Die with Your Boots on and Powerslave are also found here.

Yeah, really tough to choose, but being myself Blaze Bayley fan, I have no other choice than TXF-VXI-BNW :) (because I like BNW more than FOTD) But along with TXF, my other top albums are Killers, Powerslave and AMOLAD, maybe start another poll offering all the possible combinations? :) hehe

Raven said:
This is a tough one, because the ultimate three-in-a-row, for me, would have to take place somewhere from 'The Number of the Beast' to 'Seventh Son'.  Choosing which 3 is very hard, as I would rate 'Powerslave' the lowest out of all of those albums (NotB -> SSOASS), and 'Somewhere in Time' the highest.  As much as I love 'Number...' and '7th Son', I'm going to go with Piece of Mind - Powerslave - Somewhere in Time.  The sheer awesomeness of Still Life, To Tame A Land, Where Eagles Dare, Aces High, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Deja Vu and Caught Somewhere in Time is just too much to handle.

If I had to choose post-1990, I would go for BNW - DOD - AMOLAD...not that I don't love TXF and VXI, but the three reunion albums just seem so fresh and full...as with Piece of Mind, you get a sense of completion from listening to them.

Completely Agree, seriously couldn't have said it better myself, though I do find DOD to be the weakest of the "reunion" albums with lack of heart and craptacular material like new frontier and gates of tomorrow

I really can't say it any better than Genghis Khan.  Dance of Death costs the "reunion" albums my vote (despite the fact that it probably has the best individual song of this decade).  I'm going with Beast through Powerslave.  Powerslave through Seventh Son is a close third.  Excellent topic for a poll. 

What's with these resurrected old threads?

Powerslave - Somewhere In Time - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Piece-SiT or BNW-AMOLAD... that's a damn tough call. I think I'm gonna have to go with the reunion material though, even if just due to overall being higher in my rankings individually.

Crimson Idol said:
Piece-SiT or BNW-AMOLAD... that's a damn tough call. I think I'm gonna have to go with the reunion material though, even if just due to overall being higher in my rankings individually.

That's what's so cool! All of 'em are awesome. (well, ok, not so much the X era, but still...)

I had to go with the mighty 'Powerslave' / 'Somewhere In Time' / 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' trilogy.
Seventh Son is STILL new and fresh after all these years!!! That's awesome.

Powerslave - Somewhere in Time - Seventh Son

Hands Down - these are their BEST studio albums.. (IMO)

The sound and musical quality was significantly different from the previous works (thank you Adrian!) and Dave really Pulled of some AMAZING Legato / Whammy effects on these works...

Back