Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

Janick really impressed me in the Dance of Death album. So for that I let the little fuck ups during concerts slide I still like the guy regardless.
Only annoying thing about Maiden is their lack of variety when it comes to a set list. I am not asking them to play to tame a land, sea of madness, back in the village, mother russia etc on every set list but throw us a bone and give us one of those songs at least for a first leg of a tour. I am not even asking for the entire tour

They had a lot of variety on the US leg of The Final Frontier tour, with songs like Paschendale, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Ghost of the Navigator and Wrathchild. But after that they just went back to playing the usual setlist, which was a shame.

:)

Sorry to revive the thread…but.

- The drum sound on FOTD, and the 1992-1993 tour. It sounded like he was hitting high school text books. Seemed to improve once he changed to the 'Signia' drums.
- Derek not doing the artwork for the last handful of album covers, with such an obvious decline in theme and quality
- May have already been covered, but PICTURE DISCS. I would happily buy a 180g reissue of any of the albums in BLACK vinyl.

Sorry to revive the thread…but.

- The drum sound on FOTD, and the 1992-1993 tour. It sounded like he was hitting high school text books. Seemed to improve once he changed to the 'Signia' drums.
- Derek not doing the artwork for the last handful of album covers, with such an obvious decline in theme and quality
- May have already been covered, but PICTURE DISCS. I would happily buy a 180g reissue of any of the albums in BLACK vinyl.

Agreed on all fronts. Regarding the FOTD studio drum sound, as per a '93 interview with Nicko in Modern Drummer magazine, he reverted back to his old single-headed Sonor Phonic kit from the Powerslave tour, but tuned all the drums down, and used his new Sonor bronze 6.5x14 snare tuned down as well (he usually tunes the snare drum very tight)... and then drenched them all in reverb. I think the snare and kick drum sound particularly abysmal as a result. I guess this was an attempt at "modernizing" the Maiden drum sound.

What annoys me with Maiden...

- The vast ignorance towards albums such as NPFTD (Bring your daughter, Tailgunner are good songs IMO), FOTD (I'd love them to dig up From Here to Eternity or Be Quick or Be dead) and the Blaze era.
- I think they release too much live albums to hide the lack of originality of their last pieces of work (TFF for example, good album, but not THAT great...)
- Somehow, I thought they would have used the three-guitar formula a little better that simply 2 rhythms + 1 lead. Difficult to explain but I always thought the additional guitar could have brought more colors to the painting if you know what I mean.

That's just nitpicking

- I think they release too much live albums to hide the lack of originality of their last pieces of work (TFF for example, good album, but not THAT great...)

I agree that they release too many live albums, but I don't think that's the reason. Most of those live albums feature a large amount of songs from their newest album. Wouldn't putting those new songs back to back with their greatest hits just make any "lack of originality" that much more obvious? If anything, releasing those live albums is a show of confidence in the new material.

And a chance to commission new art work that will sell very well on T-shirts

Even though Maiden is the favorite band of most people on this forum, there are certainly things they do/did that annoy(ed) you.

Even though I really like the setlist of last 2 years, I don't like the fact that they are playing the same 17 songs for two years already. I know it's nothing new, but it's still kinda annoying. At least they'll change it for this year.

I'm still kinda bitter because they didn't release the Download 2007 show on DVD, or some show from the Early Days tour.

Discuss!

Before I start, let me first say that the first time I ever saw Maiden Live was 1988 in New Orleans for the 7th Son tour. So I was excited beyond belief to finally see them again 24 years later for the second time in Houston, Tx for the Maiden England tour.
I have to say I thought the setlist was epic and enjoyed it... I was disappointed without HBTN in it, and in Houston, they used a tapestry of the prophet instead of the prop with the torch candles. I too, was disappointed that we haven't seen the download fest on DVD in its entirety Without Steve Harris editing! I guess we'll just have to settle for the rock in rio 2013 show which was epic in its own right! I was thrilled to make a dvd of that one!
As far as them playing the same songs, they are at a point in their career that they have to play the songs the casual fan want to hear without disappointing us diehards. KISS is in the same boat, playing the same setlist since 1996!

I have a feeling they will release the download dvd in full or possibly a compilation of different festivals to make an entire show (flight 666 style) shortly after this short summer tour to tide us fans over until the new album comes out!

So I was excited beyond belief to finally see them again 24 years later for the second time in Houston, Tx for the Maiden England tour. I have to say I thought the setlist was epic and enjoyed it... I was disappointed without HBTN in it...
OMG!!! Are you telling me they dropped Hallowed Be Thy Name for the Maiden England tour!!!? :eek:

Last edited:
I forgot about one: Martin Birch out of the self-titled album. Ah!

Now i wonder if that meant to Maiden losing another number 1 album.

297.gif

^ Yup! :D

I'm just saying, if The Untouchables was formed in 1993, then he wasn't doing much for three years. But I think we'll all knew this already...

Hi Cried, The Untouchables were officially formed in early 1992. Adrian announced a 13-date tour over UK starting on March 5 at the Glasgow Cathouse.

Hi Cried, The Untouchables were officially formed in early 1992. Adrian announced a 13-date tour over UK starting on March 5 at the Glasgow Cathouse.
You're quoting me from a while back there! :D

I was kind of kidding, as I know squat about Adrian's non-Maiden work; but thanks for the detail. So, did he still basically have a few years off from doing anything musical (that we know of)? Interesting to hear that tour started at The Cathouse...

You're quoting me from a while back there! :D

I was kind of kidding, as I know squat about Adrian's non-Maiden work; but thanks for the detail. So, did he still basically have a few years off from doing anything musical (that we know of)? Interesting to hear that tour started at The Cathouse...

Oh sorry, i didn't see that. :)

I think he was composing Untouchables songs since he left Maiden as i don't know for sure if he had returned to the ASAP thing. What i know is that after some point, he left the group but the group still went on with the name Ran.

In 1991, Adrian wasn't so much inactive as he played at Full Metal Rackets Tour - with Pat Cash, Andy Barnett and even Dave Murray. A few people know that.

FullMetalRacketsTour91_7.png

Sometimes I am annoyed that I can't listen to any other Metal and think, "This is pretty damn good, but it's not Maiden". Even really excellent stuff......

:scared:

Yeah ... Instead, they played Still Life, Infinite Dreams, and 22 Acacia Ave.... You can imagine my disappointment!
Lol! :scared:

they dropped it on the history tour these past two years but they played Hallowed on the original at dozens of shows back in 88.... Only difference is this go around, we did not get any of the mentioned songs, we got "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" instead o_O

It annoys me that Steve stopped caring about interesting bass lines after 1990. It was such a key feature for me in Maiden's music, I really miss them.

Back