The Yearly Metal Project (With a Twist - See inside): 1982

April Wine had some great songs. That "Harder ... Faster" album (technically it came out in 1979, but close enough) was one of their best; it also had a cover of King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man" and my favorite of theirs, "I Like To Rock" -- which wasn't the most clever lyrically, but had a great riff and guitar lead work, and a pretty clever outro, overlaying the riffs of "Day Tripper" and "Satisfaction" with the song's bass line.

That video looks like Le Studio in Morin Heights where Rush did Permanent Waves.

1978 is an interesting year for Priest. I didn't pay attention to the years on the albums until now, where I've found that Stained Class and Killing Machine were released the same year. They are such a stark contrast from each other. One showcases the band at their darkest while the other has, well, United. The band was pretty swift to embrace a more commercial sound, almost totally abandoning the sounds found in songs like Beyond the Realms of Death and Excited. Even the label ordered single Better By You, Better Than Me had a dark undertone to it. With Killing Machine, it's more about catchy riffs and singalong choruses. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I like both albums, but they simultaneously lost and gained something making Killing Machine the birth of Priest as we know them today. This was also a major stepping stone in Metal as a mainstream force, especially in America.
One thing both albums do have in common is a pretty large amount of underrated gems. Burnin' Up, Evening Star, Stained Class, and Saints In Hell are all pretty great song that don't really get recognized enough from Priest's 70s catalog. Stained Class also has a really cool sinister vibe. It is an album that doesn't get discussed much, but it is one of their more atmospheric albums. You can also add Beyond the Realms of Death to the list of early Metal classics. Easily the best song between the two albums.

Killing Machine is also the first Priest album to feature tapping. Eddie's influence is already being felt.

Would also like to briefly mention the Kiss solo albums. It is well documented that they are all bombs, but Ace's album is definitely the best and went on to earn a sort of cult status. Of the four members he's certainly had the most interesting solo career but never quite topped that first album. It was the right time for him having just recently finding the confidence to sing his own material. It actually made sense for him to do a solo album at that time, not so much for the other members. Anyway, Ace Frehley was one of the big influences for a lot of the guitarists to come later and this album is a pretty good reference for that. Lots of great playing. There's also a blend of riffs and catchy guitar based hooks that were certainly an influence on the glam metal movement later on.

I also like Gene's album, as weird as it can be.

So when talking about famous live albums from this year, I totally forgot the greatest one of them all: Cheap Trick At Budokan. :facepalm: One of my top 5 all time favorite live albums.

Edit: OK the reason I forgot is because it wasn't released in American until 1979. Still a classic album and I'll listen to it as part of 1978.

I think of Stained Class as Sin After Sin part 2, kind of like Defenders is Screaming for Vengeance part 2.

Priest rarely repeated themselves and when they did it was usually because they had just done something special.

The two 1978 albums are so different from each other, but form a nice bridge to the superior efforts that came just before and immediately after.

I think of Stained Class as Sin After Sin part 2, kind of like Defenders is Screaming for Vengeance part 2.
Or Ram It Down and Turbo. They definitely seem to do things in pairs. Come to think of it, the only time that has been broken is starting with Demolition, every album has been a pretty drastic change from the last. But they also make albums far less frequently now.

I never saw these pairs that strongly apart from SFV and Defenders, which are the albums that sound the most a like, but that's still relatively speaking.

Stained Class
has already some of the elements we can hear on the next album. E.g. Better By You, Better Than Me could have been on the next rather than on the previous. Also in atmosphere, sound (and for me also drums!) I find Sin After Sin and Stained Class different. Alright, on Stained Class there are songs in the same style as on earlier albums (not just Sin After Sin), but (for me at least) not enough to call it Sin After Sin part 2.

Well for me it's more that the album builds on the one that came before it. British Steel is going further in the commercial direction established on Killing Machine.

I don't think it goes further. Yeah, Living After Midnight, Breaking the Law and United ("Take On the World"-style!) are commercial sounding, but the remainder is harder and more aggressive than most Killing Machine songs.

Long Live Rock 'n' Roll starts to show hints of Rainbow's more commercial direction, which ultimately led to Dio leaving the band. Of the three Dio fronted Rainbow albums, it is easily the weakest. Side 1 is really good, but still doesn't reach the highs of anything on Rising. Gates of Babylon is awesome though and I'm very happy to see it placed so highly in the Dio survivor.

Not a bad album, but it's clear that Dio's vocal and lyrical talents need to be put to better use. And they would very soon.

When it comes to music, they say that a big part of making it is just being at the right place at the right time. For Dio that happened twice. His departure from Rainbow could not have been timed more perfectly.

Time to bring this back. Open to suggestions on the format/anything else before I post 1979.

At some point, especially when things branch out into different subgenres, I'd be interested to get contributions for the opening posts and suggestions of essential albums from members who are particularly well versed in certain bands/styles/eras. Probably should've done that originally, but I wasn't sure what direction the thread would take. @Forostar , @mckindog , @Dityn DJ James , @Night Prowler , @Perun

Last edited:
1979 suggestions

Aerosmith - night in the ruts
Eagles - Live
Saga - Images at twilight
Motorhead - overkill & bomber
Whitesnake - Lovehunter
Pink floyd - the wall

1st 2 are the ones i am most familiar with

Guess I'm the only one here who prefers Pyromania and Hysteria Def Leppard over NWOBHM Def Leppard then.

Oh wow, this was one of my favourites.
Just another fun thing I will have to struggle to find the time for :(

Essentials/Mosh's picks in italics

Heavy Metal

Accept - Accept
Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather (US)/Unleashed In the East
Legend - From The Fjords
Motorhead - Overkill/Bomber
Mythra - Death and Destiny
Nazareth - No Mean City
Nokemono - From the Black World
Rainbow - Down To Earth
Riot - Narita
Scorpions - Lovedrive
Trust - Trust
UFO - Strangers In the Night
Van Halen - II

New Wave Of British Heavy Metal
Def Leppard - The Def Leppard E.P.
Iron Maiden - The Soundhouse Tapes
Praying Mantis - The Soundhouse Tapes Part 2

Samson - Survivors
Saxon - Saxon

Hard Rock
AC/DC - Highway To Hell
Aerosmith - Night In the Ruts
April Wine - Harder... Faster
Blackfoot - Strikes
Blue Oyster Cult - Mirrors
Cheap Trick - At Budokan (US)/Dream Police
Foreigner - Head Games
Gamma - Gamma 1
Gillan - Mr. Universe
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Legs Diamond - Fire Power
Pat Travers - Live! Go For What You Know
Queen - Live Killers
Rory Gallagher - Top Priority
Sammy Hagar - Street Machine
Status Quo - Whatever You Want
Ted Nugent - State Of Shock
Thin Lizzy - Black Rose: A Rock Legend
Triumph - Just A Game

Whitesnake - Lovehunter

Glam Rock/Disco
Kiss - Dynasty

Prog Rock
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti/Joe's Garage
Magnum - Magnum II
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Saga - Images At Twilight

Punk Rock
The Clash - London Calling

Southern Rock
38 Special - Rockin' Into the Night
The Allman Brothers Band - Enlightened Rogues
Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster

As we close one of the most exciting and innovative decades in music history, we find a changing of the guard occurring in Heavy Metal. The former leaders of the pack either aren't present (Black Sabbath) or are currently exploring other avenues (Led Zeppelin, Kiss). Dio departed Rainbow and was replaced with Graham Bonnet, a singer with more of an R&B background. Blackmore also brought former Purple bandmate Roger Glover back in the fold as both bassist and to take over production duties from Martin Birch. The result is the more straightforward and commercial sounding Down To Earth. The only classic Metal band that seems to have maintained their credibility is Judas Priest, who are also beginning to flirt with more commercial songwriting, but without losing their edge.

Motorhead come into their own this year with two monster albums. Overkill is frequently praised for its influence on speed Metal. Motorhead are one of those bands that distanced themselves from the Metal label, but this is still heavier and faster than pretty much anything else released this year. AC/DC break the Billboard Top 100 at #17 with the classic Highway To Hell. Unfortunately this would become Bon Scott's swan song with the band before his untimely death due to alcohol poisoning.

The growing New Wave Of British Heavy Metal makes its first significant marks here. Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Praying Mantis, Saxon, and Samson bring new life to the genre with an impressive grass roots audience. The DIY aesthetic of Punk Rock is brought to Metal with these bands releasing demo tapes, EP's, and small label debuts. The idea of an underground Metal movement seems to take shape for the first time with NWOBHM, an aspect of Metal that continues to this day. Obviously everyone here is familiar with The Soundhouse Tapes, but taken in context with some of the other music coming out this year and the previous year, this EP is a breath of fresh air. Praying Mantis and Def Leppard also deliver the goods with their EPs. We'll get to Metal For Muthas next year, but I always liked Captured City and consider it the best non-Maiden track on there. Def Leppard were unstoppable when they were heavy and it's not too hard to see how they broke in America so quickly, especially when you listen to some of the music that was popular there at the time such as Van Halen, Kiss, and AC/DC.

Metal's renaissance isn't just taking shape in England. In Germany, we get the first Accept album, an increasingly heavy and focused Scorpions with Lovedrive, and the seminal live UFO album (of extra importance to Maiden fans). In France, the first Trust album is released. Riot, not really making any dents in America, continue to appeal to a Japanese audience. However, America isn't completely devoid of heavy music. Van Halen continue to grow with their second album. While it isn't quite as heavy (the lead single, Dance The Night Away, is the first taste of their pop sensibilities), they still maintain the raw aggressive style of the debut. Check out Somebody Get Me a Doctor and D.O.A. for some heavy tunes.

1979 is yet another big year for live albums. Live Killers helps solidify Queen's arena rock reputation and shows a surprisingly smooth transition from studio experimenters to a live tour de force. Of course Judas Priest have Unleashed In the East, which is infamous for not really being a live album.
My favorite of the bunch is At Budokan by Cheap Trick, which was released in the US this year. I think I already praised it during the previous year, but I'll say again that it's in my top 5 favorite live albums. Cheap Trick also released Dream Police later that year, which is arguably their crowning achievement in terms of studio albums. There are also some genuinely heavy moments, most notably on Gonna Raise Hell.

Prog Rock has been pretty much pulverized at this point. Yes are currently experiencing inner turmoil and a change in personnel, Genesis have mostly abandoned their prog roots after their first huge single (Follow You Follow Me), and many of the other classic groups have either disbanded or are submitting failed attempts at "updating" their sound. The bands that remain take note of the changing musical tides, but mostly double down in the pomp that others ran from. The Wall is an ambitious 2 disc rock opera, although it's not without it's heavy and even commercial moments. Magnum (especially) and Saga both have their heavier moments but overall continue the complicated, pompous prog rock style.

I'm not a big fan of Southern Rock, but I've read a lot of these bands did well in Europe. Some of these bands could get pretty heavy. Lots of guitar driven stuff with twin guitar harmonies that must have influenced Maiden and other 80s Metal bands. Worth looking into for context.

We haven't talked much about Punk, even though it really shook things up in the 70s, but I decided to include London Calling this year for historic context. By 1979, post punk was beginning to take shape and London Calling is a landmark album that hints at the direction the Punk rockers would take in the 80s. Things were getting less heavy there, so there was an opening for a new spin on aggressive music. Enter, Iron Maiden.

Also included: The last dying gasp of Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy continue to build on their momentum, no Rush but Canada exports two other heavy hitters from April Wine and Triumph.

Last edited:
We haven't talked much about Punk, even though it really shook things up in the 70s, but I decided to include London Calling this year for historic context.
London Calling is probably my favorite album of this whole bunch. Speaking of Punk, 1979 was also the release year of The Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady, which is one of the best punk albums, and one of the best compilation albums of any genre, ever. Here is arguably their most famous song:

Last edited:
Nice to see this going again, Mosh!

Images at Twilight
by Saga contains Mouse in a Maze, a fantastic song. I love that pre-chorus to death: riff, simple but effective drum pattern (Saga were masters of rhythm!) and keyboard. Chorus is awesome as well of course. Some of the melody lines are very Maidenish.

live 2012:

Judas Priest - Killing Machine is from 1978.

Not sure what to add yet. Will give it some thoughts.

Last edited:
Back