THE WORST SONG EVER - WOT WE DO WINS!

Satisfied?

• Total voters

Mosh

PM me your Nightwish album rankings!
Staff member
Welcome to the Worst Song Ever survivor! This game will be structured like Foro's instrumentals game where 2 groups of songs face off at a time. The rules are the same, with one song from each pair moving on. A couple things to remember:
  • Listen to each song before voting!
  • Remember, this is bad songs from good bands. Try to remove biases for against certain bands; i.e. if you don't like Iron Maiden, don't vote for them just because it's Iron Maiden. Remember, all these songs are supposed to suck. :D
The songs:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure why the Symphony X song is even in this game. It's forgettable and generic, hardly the stuff "worst is made of.
And subtleties of Manowar have forever been lost on me, but that song sounded pretty much like everything else they've done.

The other two songs are important bands delivering pap.
Those were two very easy choices for me.

I'm not sure why the Symphony X song is even in this game. It's forgettable and generic, hardly the stuff "worst is made of.
And subtleties of Manowar have forever been lost on me, but that song sounded pretty much like everything else they've done.

The other two songs are important bands delivering pap.
Those were two very easy choices for me.
Yep.

Light Up the Night was fine, not sure why it's here. There's much worse from them that could go here, this just sounds like their standard fare as far as what they're doing now goes. In fact I think it's better than most of that album.

Parental Guidance: Now this is perfect for the game. Laughably bad lyrics, cliche guitar riff and 80s production, and Priest trying way too hard to be trendy. Thank H they don't do that anymore, right? A potential champion.

Hail And Kill - like most of Manowar - is so bad that it's almost good. Almost. It's almost genius how this song manages to cram so many metal cliches in such a short time.

This Is England: What the fuck is this? This is one of those songs that I listen to and wonder how the band listened to this after recording and decided it'd be a good idea to release. Especially a band that recorded something as powerful as London Calling. At least Manowar's awfulness is fun, listening to this was just painful.

Easy choices for me too.

Very easy choices. As far as Symphony X goes, Light Up the Night is absolutely terrible. Iconoclast in general is not good, but that song and Lords of Chaos are just the worst. That Priest song, however, is truly, truly horrendous.

A case can be made for all Manowar as "bad", so this is no exception. That Clash song is cringe-worthy.

2 and 4

I questioned my sanity after listening to #4. It was just that bad.

My initial reaction to #4

I've read the posts in this thread already so it better live up to it's awfulness *vocals start* OH GOD THE VOCALS.

#2 and #4 easily. I love Hail and Kill and Symphony X is mediocre, but not really terrible.

Dunno what's Hail & Kill doing here... Sure I get people who hate Manowar, hell, I'm not a big fan either, but they have so many worse songs... It's like saying "I hate Iron Maiden", then picking Run To The Hills... when there's Apparition, Weekend Warrior and other crap.

Before posting edit: Mosh, you made a mistake. No one actually suggested Hail & Kill. I suggested Hail, Kill & Die. That's the sequel to Hail & Kill. Seriously.

Well shit. Tell you what, I'll throw in Hail Kill & Die some other round as consolation.

I don't mind Parental Guidance at all. The production and arrangement do smack of 80s hair metal cheese, but the song itself isn't bad. Plus, remember the context: this was in the era of Tipper Gore, ratings based on content (which still exist) and the very real fear of more insidious censorship. On top of all that, the band had earlier found itself in serious legal trouble over their song lyrics. In some ways the lyrics were socially important at the time. I'll vote against Symphony X.

How is Manowar here, given the rule that these are supposed to be bad songs by GOOD bands?? :D Obviously voting down This is England, which was an inexcusable offense to good taste and musical integrity. But, to Unknown One, who criticized the vocals: that is what Joe Strummer sounded like. And it usually worked. But not here.

Plus, remember the context: this was in the era of Tipper Gore, ratings based on content (which still exist) and the very real fear of more insidious censorship. On top of all that, the band had earlier found itself in serious legal trouble over their song lyrics. In some ways the lyrics were socially important at the time.
This is a good point. I don't have a problem with the message, in fact this song is doomed before the lyrics are even factored in. And this is coming from someone who actually enjoy a lot of 80s glam metal. Judas Priest doing that just doesn't work for me. I just have a hard time taking the song -and therefore its message- very seriously. Could be a fine song, but it was executed very poorly IMO. For a song in the same vein (at least musically) on the same album, I think Private Property is much more enjoyable.

By the way, not to be nitpicky but assuming you're referring to the subliminal message trial over the kids killing themselves: that trial happened in 1990, I don't think the band knew about what had happened when this song was written.

Obviously voting down This is England, which was an inexcusable offense to good taste and musical integrity. But, to Unknown One, who criticized the vocals: that is what Joe Strummer sounded like. And it usually worked. But not here.

I do know he sounds like that, but from what I can gather (about half a dozen Clash songs I know), his voice is 10x better on other songs (which seem to be faster as well). The vocals are definitely bad, but the lyrics are even worse.

I understand those of you who take Symphony X's song over Parental Guidance but the former is too technical for my taste and Parental Guidance, while full of 80s cheese, offers some nice moments. I especially like the short part after the guitar solo (2:20 - 2:24).

I don't know many Manowar songs but Hail and Kill is the best I've heard. Despite being laden with cliches, this song kicks some major ass. It is catchy as hell, the clean part in the intro is beautiful and the guitar delivers some pretty sweet melodies (in addition to cliche whammy bar squealies).

The worst songs are 1 and 3.

Last edited:
Symphony X - This sounds like what I think many people think Dream Theater sounds like. Technical garbage.
Judas Priest - Complete 80s cheese. But at least it's not an ear rape like the first one.

Vote goes to: #1

Manowar - Manowar are awful so they don't deserve a place here. This one is less awful than most of their stuff.
The Clash - I think this song took a significant portion of my lifetime away.

Vote goes to: #4

2 and 4.
1 is a bit meh but not shocking.
2 was a very poor idea that they didn't get away with.
3 is Manowar and therefore typical leather-clad cheese. Wrong survivor :p
4 could form the basis of the next BNP party political broadcast, just add fascism and penguins.

4 was the only truly AWFUL song there. I voted 2 also as I expect much more from Priest.

Winners:
Parental Guidance
This Is England

New Songs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, to speed up the game and give people more time to listen, I'll now leave rounds open for a week and run several rounds at a time, similar to what NP Is doing with his short song survivor.

Back