World Cup of Maidenfans 2.0: Opening Round 17

Which is the better artist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
Catching up here after missing a day.
Led Zeppelin defeats Alter Bridge to move on. Bearfan breaks the tie between Anthrax and Dire Straits, so Dire Straits moves on.

As usual, vote for your favourite. The winner advances, the loser goes home.

In the red corner, from Middletown New Jersey, weighing in with 8 albums of progressive metal that remains heavy while adding symphonic touches

symphony_x.jpg

In the blue corner, from Liverpool, England, weighing in with 13 albums of some of the most popular music ever recorded

Beatles.jpg

Well that's just fucked up.

Even though I prefer The Beatles, I'm gonna vote Symphony X just because I know there are only a few fans on the board. I'd like them to have at least some votes.

I'd vote for Avenged Sevenfold if they were up against The Beatles.

I don't adore the Beatles that much but I clearly hear more music (and originality therein) in one of their songs than in the whole discography of one of these progmetal-outfits with overrated singer.

I find the "cause metal" argument an incredibly ignorant one.

I don't adore the Beatles that much but I clearly hear more music (and originality therein) in one of their songs than in the whole discography of one of these progmetal-outfits with overrated singer.
:down: Russell Allen is awesome.

I find the "cause metal" argument an incredibly ignorant one.
:ok:

Going to have to go with The Beatles, they had such an impact on the world of music. I don't mind Symphony X, though.

Not a massive fan of either, always found the Beatles to feel a bit 'samey' and overly simplistic (simple isn't a problem, but there comes a limit :P). But in a rare moment of agreement with Foro, I do find that many of these other bands sound extremely similar both from song to song and to each other, despite what I consider to be far more actual musicianship/talent at the instruments. Neither particularly grabs my attention, but from the songs I have heard of each.. If I was forced, I'd prefer to listen to the Beatles

This is so weird. Classic pop/rock vs. a power metal band. Like wut?

Anyway, The Beatles because power metal sucks.

I mean, Symphony X is absolutely better in my mind. They are one of my favorite bands. But pairing them (or anyone) against The Beatles means instant death. Lame.

Beatles easily, they were my Mom's favorite band, I remember listening to the albums with her. Really good songs and a huge influence over tons and tons of musicians to come.

Yeah, cause this is a fair matchup...

Symphony X, because they're the better band.

I've never understood what was so great about The Beatles. Did they change how rock was done? Sure. But as for the songs themselves, I just don't get it.

Back