1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Unbeliever

Discussion in 'The X Factor' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is The Unbeliever on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

13.5%
  2. 9

16.2%
  3. 8

24.3%
  4. 7

18.9%
  5. 6

8.1%
  6. 5

5.4%
  7. 4

10.8%
  8. 3

2.7%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

For quite some time Cross used to be my #1 song on this album. But recently I realised #2 spot just don't do this masterpiece justice. I hereby proclaim The Unbeliever Maiden's best song off TXF, and - since Fear of the Dark works more as an album than having some particular highlights - probably their best song in the 90's. One of the few songs I can hear anytime, even when I'm not in the mood for Maiden. 10/10, of course.

2. eddienephwrack

eddienephwrack Invader

Anyone else notice the similarity between the chorus of this song and The Thin Line Between Love & Hate? The "all my life I've run astray, let my faith slip away" bit from The Unbeliever is nearly identical to the "I will hope my soul will fly" bit from Thin Line

3. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Well, we all know which came first.

4. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Super nice atmospheric instrumental section, but the rest of the song is a little too mixed up for my liking.

5. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I love this song for the reason most people seem to not be so fond of it. It's all over the place and jarring, but something about it just works for me. I like that it keeps you guessing and has a lot of very un-Maidenish parts. It's a great way to end a very strange album. Unfortunately Blaze struggles on this one. Especially during the verses, which suffer from the Steve Harris Wordiness Syndrome. The chorus is awesome, love the acoustic guitars there. You can really hear Steve's love for 70s prog on this track. Great interaction between the bass and guitars during the instrumental sections.

The song takes a total left turn halfway through with an atypical Maiden beat followed by an awesome buildup. Lots of tension there.

The song ends on a message that's perfect for an album like this. Definitely one of Maiden's most focused efforts.

Niall Kielt likes this.
  6. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Absolute belter, not far outside my Top 10 and a cert for top 5 in any 'deep cut/never played live' list i may chose to concoct

Forostar likes this.
  7. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Really can't understand the appreciation for this song.

Honestly think it's the worst vocal of any song in Maiden history. Blaze is flat and his voice breaks several times. The rather tame instrumental sections just add to the lack of quality. Worst track on the album

8. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

6/10. Never memorable.

9. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

8/10 Blazes making one last grasp at oxygen.

The Unbeliever brings this introspective album to a predictably introspective close. Steve writes of his own struggles with faith and delivers a mostly successful mini-epic. Experimentation is the name of the game here. The verses are cynical and syncopated with a jarring pre-chorus interspersed every few lines. Time changes occur often throughout the song and there’s even a strange section where bass, ride cymbal, and guitar harmonics sync up into a delicate note pattern. The chorus of The Unbeliever is literally the only moment on the entire album where Blaze truly pushes himself vocally. He’s singing at the far end of his range and it sounds awesome. I wish he had done more of this throughout the album, because it adds a depth of power that the emotionally complex songs here could have used. Unaccompanied solos drive the bridge of The Unbeliever and for once the lack of textured rhythm guitar actually enhances the song. It’s not a classic track, but it certainly closes the album on a bit of an upswing.

10. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

Interesting song and a nice vocal performance.

This. There's too many songs that are too low for him. It's not often you hear examples of rock songs that would have benefitted from higher vocal lines. I'd have no trouble seeing Blaze singing a few of the songs a full step to a full step and half higher.

MrKnickerbocker likes this.
  11. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

Not the most memorable thing ever, but it's nonetheless a good song. Were it any lesser of a song, people would be complaining about the constant repetition of the lyrics, yet here it seems to work. It feels like a contemplation of life. That first 'all my life' has backing guitars that wouldn't sound out of place on Operation: Mindcrime come to think of it. Still, strong song, wavering between 7 and 8. Going for 7/10 for now, but it's a strong 7 definitely. I'm starting to think that I haven't given The X Factor the credit it truly deserves. It's long, but it holds up.