The Ultimate Overplayed Iron Maiden Songs List

Late to this thread, but I agree with all of the comments on Sanctuary. It could (and should) be replaced by any of: Prowler, Killers, Purgatory

Otherwise, the simple fact that Heaven Can Wait and Bring Your Daughter were played even once beyond their respective album tours pains me to no end. There are 7 better songs than HCW on SiT to choose from and Bring Your Daughter could give way to Be Quick or Be Dead or an extra post-2000 song that has never gotten its proper due such as Rainmaker.

This is not rocket science, Mr. Harris!

Late to this thread, but I agree with all of the comments on Sanctuary. It could (and should) be replaced by any of: Prowler, Killers, Purgatory

Otherwise, the simple fact that Heaven Can Wait and Bring Your Daughter were played even once beyond their respective album tours pains me to no end. There are 7 better songs than HCW on SiT to choose from and Bring Your Daughter could give way to Be Quick or Be Dead or an extra post-2000 song that has never gotten its proper due such as Rainmaker.

This is not rocket science, Mr. Harris!

This is my biggest gripe with maiden. I just don't get it? Id love to be a fly on the wall when they discuss set lists.

So many over played songs. So many great songs not being played.

Overplayed top 3
Wrathchild
Fear of the Dark
Trooper

Closely followed by
NOTB
Iron Maiden
Running Free
Sanctuary
Evil that men do
Run to the Hills

If the band don't like to spend huge amounts of time rehearsing I'd be happy for any of these to be set fillers

Holy smoke
Futerreal
Prowler
From here to eternity
Man on the edge
Rainmaker
Brave new world

My most overplayed set list based on gigs I've been too since my first in 1993

1.Aces High
2.Wrathchild
3.Afraid to Shoot Strangers
4.2 Minutes to Midnight
5.The Evil that Men Do
666.Number of the Beast
7.The Trooper
8.Wasted Years
9.Blood Brothers
10.The Clairevoyent
11.Fear of the Dark
12.Iron Maiden
13.Hallowed Be Thy Name
14.Running Free
15.Sanctuary

Mmm I'd still pay to hear them AGAIN!

It's all about opinions but yeah they've played sign of the cross more. Probably influenced by the number of times I've watched live after death on VHS. And my disappointment they didn't open with caught somewhere in time on the somewhere back in time tour and played aces again on the maiden England tour instead of infinite dreams, still life, killers or die with your boots on.

I agree that the trooper, fear of the dark and Iron Maiden are probably the most over played songs in the bands history but they are staples of the live shows and I don't think they will ever be dropped.

I just wish that from time to time when they dipped into classics to complete a latest album tour set list they wouldn't always go back to the tried and tested safe songs like wrathchild, number of the beast etc. They must know that the vast majority of fans at shows are hardcore and have seen them live numerous times so I wish they'd through us a bone and pick a couple of obscure tracks.

One track I am getting sick of live is blood brothers. Never really liked the track to begin with to be honest. I never hated it but never felt it was this awesome track that needs to be played live all the time. Plus it's groan worthy when it's trotted out with Bruce talking about how we are all metal brothers and we are united as blood brothers.....bore off.

Iron Maiden
TNotB
The Trooper
Run to the Hills

but especially Iron Maiden and TNotB. Both are completely rudimentary, both don't hold the candle to any other Maiden song in pretty much any aspect (yep, including The Apparition and Wildest Dreams), yet both are absurdly over-played. "Woe to you, oh Earth and sea, for the Devil sends the Beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short" indeed.

FotD is also seriously overplayed, but I have a soft spot for that one, so I don't mind it as much.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they decide setlists. Hey Steve what about where eagles dare? . No way Dave we'll need to rehearse that one. Being serious now. Do fans think they are lazy? They played the full amold in full (albeit in album order lol) so they could throw the fans something new. Why not rotate set lists a bit? I saw metallica at rock am ring on 2014 when maiden also played. And metallica had fans voting for songs for them to play during the show!

I don't think Maiden are lazy when picking set lists. I think for quite a while now the set lists have been built around Bruce's voice. The vocalist in a band is always the one that age catches up to first and considering the style and range Bruce sang with in his younger days it's only natural with age that he will lose a step or two. Especially since the cancer scare and treatment his voice has become even more of a concern and they need to be even more precious to protect and conserve it.

Whilst I think Bruce still has an incredible voice and sounded fantastic on the recent London show I was at I do think their are certain songs that would strain his voice too much that will now never get played. Plus they have to pick the set list carefully to give him adequate rest during and between songs.

I saw Maiden at Cardif last month and I concur Bruce's voice was awesome (although spoilt by some microphone interference).

In terms of set list choices to protect his voice that's what I assumed. However whilst I don't presume to be a vocalist expert some of the songs on the new album and since the 99 reunion, seem no less demanding than earlier material.

Also I'd have no issue if the band down tuned to help Bruce or even gave different interpretations of the songs. I seem to think it is generally not wanting to spend more time rehearsing and possibly to avoided disagreements on choices.

Not playing infinite dreams, killers and still life on the maiden England tour was I'm sorry to say a shocker.

This is my biggest gripe with maiden. I just don't get it? Id love to be a fly on the wall when they discuss set lists.

So many over played songs. So many great songs not being played.

Overplayed top 3
Wrathchild
Fear of the Dark
Trooper

Closely followed by
NOTB
Iron Maiden
Running Free
Sanctuary
Evil that men do
Run to the Hills

If the band don't like to spend huge amounts of time rehearsing I'd be happy for any of these to be set fillers

Holy smoke
Futerreal
Prowler
From here to eternity
Man on the edge
Rainmaker
Brave new world

Band discussion:

(Bruce) - Hey, why don't we play Flight of Icarus? I played it on my solo tour and it really worked!

(H) - Yeah Bruce is right. it went down really well

(Jan) - Good idea guys. I have never played it live before ... I'd love to do it!

(Nicko) - The fans would be really surprised. We should definitely do it.

(Dave) - And it's a good short number too. It would be a breather in the set after all the long songs. Let's play Icarus one more time!

(Steve) - I have never really considered that one actually. But now I come to think of it .... you've made some really good points there! Yeah ....Hhmm
So it's decided ...... Wrathchild it is!

(Band) - Yeah, let's do Wrathchild

Back