The So Called "Decline"

A

Anonymous

Hey, im new here, but and altho as good as this site is, i cant help but notice the person is obsessed with the "Golden era" stuff....(whoever did the commentary)

Now im a huge maiden fan as im sure u all are [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ....and i notice on top of the 'No Paryer' and 'Fear of the dark' albums it says "Decline"....what a load of bollocks to put it bluntly.

Yes ok, Adrian had left....Maiden changed, but i dont see why ppl complain(ed) cos if Janick had copied Adrian you would have moaned about him not being origional. Bruces voice had changed, but he didnt abandon the old style of singing, hence 'Wasting Love' and 'Fear Of The Dark' and 'Bring Youre Daughter..' They were the same band, that adapted a little to a line up change, and i like Bruces more growled vocals as well as the older style, it worked on the songs they had written at the time.

This annoys me when people say that Maiden went downhill after 'Seventh son' cos its just obviously not true. Look at the album chart positions....i mean..Maidens "Worst" album (with bruce) got them to number 1 in the Uk singles charts and No.2 in the album charts. Fear of the dark got them to No.1 in the album charts, and it has to be said, No Parayer and Fear Of The Dark are damn good albums, but you cant expect someone like Adrian to leave and expect janick to have come in and instantly have made the next "Number Of The Beast", it was a good debut album for him, and Fear of the dark proved he was more than capeable of writing good songs. And I read that "there are some unusually short songs on the album" er....Maiden do write short songs! [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Basically, if any fan was that devoted they wud except Adrian aint on the albums and realise how good they are! cos if u dont like 'No Prayer' and 'Fear Of The Dark' then u cant be THAT much of a fan, cos those albums are just as good as the so called "Golden era" albums...

(just for the record......The Bayley albums are class albums as well!...ALL the maiden albums rule!)

Bottom Line:

IT WASNT A DECLINE!!!!!

I kno that was an aggressive first post, but i just had to get that off my chest [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Although I don't agree with you, I see your point: it's a matter of taste! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

In any case, during the "Decline" period, Bruce was getting more and more pissed off with Maiden and you can feel it in the way he sings. It's even more apparent on the live albums and videos. This raspy voice he uses on No Prayer... and Fear... is quite horrible to me, although some people may like it better. There again it's personal taste that guides you.

There are still a few really good songs on the aforementioned albums, but the overall feel is not as good as on the previous releases. Basically, it was time for Bruce to leave...

Welcome aboard, WeekendWarrior! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, I agree to both of you somehow - on the one hand I really like most of the songs on both NPFTD and on FOTD. But on the other hand Bruce's voice was a bit weird really - and live he was horrible at that time. There's bootlegs out there where Bruce is simply awful! There was no passion in it anymore. Still the albums were quite good (talking about the songwriting) IMO. And well, I am quite happy that Bruce left back then anyway, cause I love the Blaze albums [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

btw, do you think WeekendWarrior will only post such "aggressive posts" on weekends? [!--emo&:dork:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dorky[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dorky[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I should also think, Mr. Warrior, that you should read the Commentary before commenting on its comments. Maverick is a very fair reviewer of Iron Maiden albums, and his Commentary is incredibly intelligent and intriguing. Although yes, he does place No Prayer and Fear of the Dark at a slightly lower scale than some of the other albums, he has never said they weren't good.

"cos if u dont like 'No Prayer' and 'Fear Of The Dark' then u cant be THAT much of a fan"

This I disagree with. I agree that Fear of the Dark is a fantastic album (my favourite!) and No Prayer had some fantastic onnovations (namely Run Silent, Run Deep, Mother Russia and Holy Smoke) but to say that you're less of a fan just because you don't like them is untrue. Sound arguments though.

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

tastes and opinions ... Weekend we all have preferences

and IMO i thing the period between 90 - 95 was kinda poor

I think it's very fair to state that NPFTD and FotD were a decline for Maiden. But let's remember the standard they were declining from: five consecutive no-question classic albums, with the greatest metal live album ever recorded thrown in as a bonus. (I know there are some who don't rank SiT as good as the other records, but I've always liked it a lot.) In other words, they had to decline sooner or later. Eventually, everyone falls short of that high standard; we're all human. But because they started the decline from such a height, the two "decline" albums were still pretty damn good. Yes, it's a decline; that's a different thing than calling them bad albums.

Like others have stated before: just because someone doesn't like the exact same Maiden albums or songs as you doesn't mean they're not a fan. Even if someone thinks a particular album or song is no good at all, that still doesn't mean they're not a fan. Being a fan doesn't mean blindly worshipping all that a band does and the ground they walk on. That's a fanatic, which is different. I'm just a fan; while I like almost everything Maiden has ever done, there are songs (like "Hooks In You") that I don't think are very good.

I also think that Bruce's "raspy" voice fits some songs well, such as "Be Quick Or Be Dead".

Quoting LooseCannon:
"Maverick is a very fair reviewer of Iron Maiden albums..."
I'd agree, but I have a question for Mav:
Is there anything left in the Commentary (aside from the rants) written by Baeleron? I know you were planning to rewrite the whole thing, did you finish?

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Apr 13 2004, 04:01 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Apr 13 2004, 04:01 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Is there anything left in the Commentary (aside from the rants) written by Baeleron? I know you were planning to rewrite the whole thing, did you finish? [/quote]
The "short" commentaries are Baeleron's. You know that I tend to comment more (must be LooseCannon's bad influence! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ).

Still working on it [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Neither No Prayer... and Fear of the Dark are particularly great IMO. There are some great songs on both but it's clear Bruce's heart was somewhere else. It was really time for some fresh blood in Maiden at that time. Most of my least favourite Maiden songs are from those albums.

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Apr 13 2004, 08:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Apr 13 2004, 08:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The "short" commentaries are Baeleron's. You know that I tend to comment more (must be LooseCannon's bad influence!  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ).

Still working on it  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
I'd like to point out that the BNW commentaries were written before I met Maverick. The first time I communicated with that old fart was when I emailed him a few weeks after RiR came out to bother him about getting comments up about it.

Like i said before in a different post.No Prayer was one of the weaker albums simply because it followed on the heels of 7th Son...plus the band was on a 2 plus year hiatus so the anticipation was really ripe at the time for the new album.I myself can remember the day it was released.I was at the Graff Wadman record store waited for the store to open....I plunked down my $10..(which was kinda hard to come by because i was 16 and money was a bit scarce at the time).On the bus back home i ripped the shrink wrap off of the casette and popped it into my walman.I was looking at the jacket and said to myself who's the new guy?I knew Adrain was out but i saw Janick and was like Whoa! it's realy true.So Tailgunner came on and i was digging it.All the tracks played by the time i got home but i felt really disappointed.I mean No Maiden for 2 years and this is the crap album they turned out?So I listened to the older stuff instead.And alot of fans I knewpretty much felt the same way. [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, maybe i should give you a load of crap, that is called my opinion, eh?
Fear of the dark is a great album (i finally bothered to buy it! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] ), with couple of not so good songs in it. Actually just Fear is the Key. I enjoy all the others.
Now NPFTD is not so good, and some of the songs are pretty bad, but hey, i tought the same things of the x-factor before i forced myself to listen to it. Maybe something like that will happen to me with NPFTD. I do hope so, because in the end other people can say whatever they want. It's only a good thing if you like the albums. Holy smoke rules, tailgunner is good, No prayer for the dying is good, run silent run deep is pretty good also and public enemy #1 starys to sound good.
Somwhere in time is a great record, with every song on it good, but for some reason it doesn't work as a whole. And Killers has great uptempo songs and power in it. These are underrated in my poinion. [!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Only couple more days and its my birthday! Woohoo! Ok, that was unnecessary...
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-IndianaJones+Apr 30 2004, 08:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IndianaJones @ Apr 30 2004, 08:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Well, maybe i should give you a load of crap, that is called my opinion, eh?
Fear of the dark is a great album (i finally bothered to buy it! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] ), with couple of not so good songs in it. Actually just Fear is the Key. I enjoy all the others.
Now NPFTD is not so good, and some of the songs are pretty bad, but hey, i tought the same things of the x-factor before i forced myself to listen to it. Maybe something like that will happen to me with NPFTD. I do hope so, because in the end other people can say whatever they want. It's only a good thing if you like the albums. Holy smoke rules, tailgunner is good, No prayer for the dying is good, run silent run deep is pretty good also and public enemy #1 starys to sound good.
Somwhere in time is a great record, with every song on it good, but for some reason it doesn't work as a whole. And Killers has great uptempo songs and power in it. These are underrated in my poinion.  [!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Only couple more days and its my birthday! Woohoo! Ok, that was unnecessary...
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
what day is it?? [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

i was ranting about this to my maidenfan-trainee pal the other day, he had asked what era was my favorite and i told him "Rising Force" and "Decline" (this is sorta off topic but) Rising force because Steve's vision was just molding and falling into place, and they were just having a good time putting out records (and Paul just rocks ass!), and Decline because to me, it's not a decline at all, it was a change of pace and stuff, they didnt do it unpurposely, i read in several spots that they had WANTED to go to the killers type thing, one of the reasons Adrian left (from what my long forgotten sources indicate, EXCUSE ME if i am wrong on that though) and it's not like they just started to suck, they played that all on purpose, and i love each and every song on FOTD (okay fear is the key is a LITTLE annoying) and NPFTD(i think thats right [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) is kinda like the first album, not too much of a theme just a song album, but the assassin(sp i think, my eyes are going down the hole right now) is a really good one to run around and curse out maiden chrouses..BETTER WATCH OUT! it's only a decline if you have a set standard for Maiden, which i don't, i judge all of their material on how much i like it, not if it's epic or classic or short or meaningless..i'm not really a fanatic but i'd follow Iron Maiden off a cliff or into a giant blender, because i like their musicianship and because ALL of the music they made completely rocks the roof off of my room (and ears when i listen to my walkman) so condemn me if you like but it was just a change, like when Ozzy left Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath didnt get any worse, in fact some of the Dio material is even better than things Ozzy did with them, some of the things Maiden did without Bruce or Adrian in the "decline" i hold think are much better than some of the Golden Era things.

[!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] woah the rock guy got a new hand didnt he? its been a while

Back