The Rolling Stones

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
I could not find a thread for one of the greatest rock bands of all time, so I had to open one to say RIP Charlie Watts. :(

The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Status Quo, and classic 50s rock were the soundtrack of my childhood thanks to my dad.

My first stadium gig was The Rolling Stones on the Bridges to Babylon tour and I will never forget having the band a couple of metres away when they played a few songs on a small stage in the middle of the stadium. The metronomic nature of Charlie Watts (akin to AC/DC’s Phil Rudd when it comes to precise rock and roll drumming) was a sight to behold.

Sad news. :(

Rolling Stones set a precedent for R'n'R bands to keep playing until the end; if Iron Maiden still play today it could be due to Stones never quitted. Every one of them was a role model for his discipline: Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts.
Watts' playing was highly influential for drummers to come as mentioned above and as @Zare has nicely put it recently.

Golden Earring is more an example like that, surely to Maiden. In the end the guitarist and main songwriter stops because of illness, and the band quits.

And I think they even continued longer than the Stones.

And the Stones may still continue, with another drummer which is not much in the Maiden vein either.

But RIP Charlie Watts... he was a cool dude with a weird technique (always that same hi-hat playing and leaving out a hit when the other stick hits the snare).

Bruce has compared Maiden’s longevity to the Stones. Has anyone in Maiden made the same explicit connection with Golden Earring?

The Stones could definitely continue, Maiden theoretically would also continue until either Bruce or Steve retire/quit/die.

Rest in peace Charlie.

The influence he left on the music world with his drumming is massive.

Bruce has compared Maiden’s longevity to the Stones. Has anyone in Maiden made the same explicit connection with Golden Earring?

The Stones could definitely continue, Maiden theoretically would also continue until either Bruce or Steve retire/quit/die.
O yes, Steve is a huge fan of and has lots of respect for the Earring, his favourite band. I'm sure the longetivity is part of that, even if not explictly expressed (I can look it up though, recently there was a big history/tribute magazine, and Steve is also in it). Anyway, they are his favourite band, a good example and since they were one of the longest going bands (1961-2021), the connection is very obvious to make. Bruce may not utter this connection because he is no Earring fan. The Stones being British and more known helps also.
But there are more bands who keep going (longer than Maiden) with Maiden more into them than the Stones (e.g. Genesis, Yes, VDGG, Tull, UFO and even Priest)

If I were a Stones fan I would probably not like it if they would continue with (yet another) hired hand. Maiden will not continue when someone leaves, I bet. Maybe, just maaaaybe if it is a guitarist.

Last edited:
O no. Watts is the favourite drummer of Cesar Zuiderwijk though (he just said that on the radio).

I might be mistaken but when Nicko rambles about drummers, it is usually about others. At least more often (e.g. Bonham, Morello, Ringo, Moon). But perhaps he did mention Charlie as well sometimes. He did so many interviews in the last years, it is hard to keep up.

Last edited:
Nicko has mentioned Charlie Watts being an influence many times. Here are just a couple of examples:

A real shame ... Watts was the perfect drummer for the Stones ... he fit those songs perfectly.

Back