1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Discussion in 'A Matter Of Life And Death' started by Anonymous, Aug 30, 2006.

?

How good is The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

1. 10

40.0%
  2. 9

13.3%
  3. 8

30.0%
  4. 7

10.0%
  5. 6

6.7%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Really wish I could make head or tail of the lyrics but it's a great song nonetheless. I love the crunchy guitars and soaring vocals. Lovely haunting intro too. Somehow needs another layer to score higher though. The heaviness is relentless as it is on A Thousand Suns but that had an extra gear which made it great

2. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

Dave's contribution to the other songs was quite uneven, but he makes up for it with this song. An absolute masterpiece, and the best song Dave ever wrote. The intro is haunting, and filled with emotion. I can imagine it was a great moment in concert. They should bring this one back for next years tour, it would fit well in with the dark theme of TBOS and the whole soul-thing.

The main riff is also one of Maiden's heaviest, and I fancy Nicko's drumming on this song. I'm no drum expert, but I love what he does. Quite straightforward, but lots of nice details. Dave delivers probably his best solo on the album.

10/10

3. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

10/10

The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg is a hulking slab of moodiness from Camp Davey about a mysterious fictitious character rumored to be everyone from the long lost Seventh Son to the original human incarnation of Eddie. This was actually the first single released from the album and is certainly an odd choice, but I suppose it proved the direction Maiden were headed with the record. It is another track dominated by Murray’s guitar and the intro is, as always with Dave songs, a mournful solo. The main riff kicks in with a heavy chord stomp reminiscent of Stranger in a Strange Land (maybe Breeg is the frozen man in the arctic?). The way Nicko pulls the rhythm and adds fills on the offbeats really enhances the song. A reverb-drenched solo by Dave caps off another stellar bridge. Should’ve called this album A Matter of Bloody Good Bridges.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft likes this.