1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Random Song Review Thread

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Forostar, Dec 29, 2011.

1. THESEVENTHMARINER

THESEVENTHMARINER Ancient Mariner

I expected something from The Book of Souls to be my favourite track of the year. Empire of the Clouds was when I first heard it. But then David Gilmour's new album was released and I heard In Any Tongue, and I was absolutely blown away by it. Not only are the lyrics the best from any of his other solo albums (granted he didn't write them, his wife did), the imagery of war is harrowing and emotional and Gilmour plays probably one of the best solo's in his recent career - It's probably in the same league as Comfortably Numb's final solo.

I would try and post a link to the song, but there's nothing on YouTube, but I advise everybody to go and listen to it on Spotify.

2. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

2015 has been a good year for music this far... but also one where high expectations have let me down, one after one. My favourite album and by far my favourite track this year happens to be from a band I have listened to a lot in the past, but who I had all but counted out for their new release: The Darkness - and their new album, titled Last of our Kind. I have to say that it struck me out of my peripheral vision - I was of course aware that they were releasing an album, but I wasn't convinced at all by their last one and it didn't feel like they had another one like their debut in them, it's after all 12 years since they were released on the world. As it is, I'm glad I was wrong. The title track of said album is one of those tracks that clicked with me right away. One of the best bittersweet rock n roll tracks I have heard in my whole life. From the acoustic guitars in the intro, to the verse melody, the solo, the lyrical matter - and the chorus! The goddamn chorus... A perfect song, if there ever was one. The song that has to define this year in music for me.

Children, we are the last of our kind

The Darkness is back.

TheTalisman and Zare like this.
  3. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Don't know much about them. Great song!

4. Jamie Laszlo

Jamie Laszlo Invader

I'm calling it the best song of 2015. And it has had tough competition.

THESEVENTHMARINER likes this.
  5. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Like both of the above tracks. Could love the Wilson track on repeated listens.

6. Shadow

Shadow Deluxe Edition Staff Member

Do go see him live if he ever plays near you. I've seen him once with Porcupine Tree and twice solo, always a great experience.

7. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Electric Eye

Like this, which gets my vote. Great music video, too, I should have nominated it for the best videos thread -- nothing fancy, like Axl's dolphins, just good musicians in a studio working their asses off. Every time I hear this song I like it even more. Full album can't come soon enough.

mckindog likes this.
  8. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

hadn't heard that they had a new one coming.
    Outstanding track.
    These guys are the masters of mixing the raw and the delicate.

Cornfed Hick likes this.
  9. Jamie Laszlo

Jamie Laszlo Invader

Yes. I have high hopes for the new Baroness. Sometime around December 8th it come out.

10. FTB

FTB Stranger in a Strange Board

Stumbled across this on Youtube, haven't heard from this Guy in ages.

So good

11. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

John Zorn has a new organ trio album out. I expected Jazz and I got some really good Metal instead. Awesome stuff.

12. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Heavy/Doom. One of the catchiest songs this year IMO:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  13. Jamie Laszlo

Jamie Laszlo Invader

I just got tickets to see them on the first show of their tour in Columbus, Ohio.

Cornfed Hick likes this.
  14. Jamie Laszlo

Jamie Laszlo Invader

Think mid-1990s Black Crowes:

SixesAlltheway likes this.
  15. Cornfed Hick

No West Coast dates yet, all announced shows are East of the Rockies. Hoping they come out here soon. The venues they are playing are pretty small, I remember the Beat Kitchen in Chicago, that would be a great place to see them.

Should Baroness have their own thread? Maybe I'll create one this weekend if no one beats me to it.

Jamie Laszlo likes this.
  16. Jamie Laszlo

Jamie Laszlo Invader

This song is pretty amazing. I was worried the band broke up after their last album, but thank "god" they're back.

17. Cornfed Hick

A blast from the past, but this is a "random" thread, not just a new music thread, so...

I'm really digging this old Deep Purple track, "Rat Bat Blue." It's got a funky groove and a slinky riff. Who Do We Think We Are is sort of the forgotten Mark II album, but I really like it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  18. Cosmiceddie

Cosmiceddie Back From The Edge

I haven't heard and seen anything more exciting in years.

Ghost are the real thing!

19. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

Come join the album discussions in the Purple thread @Cornfed Hick :)

http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/deep-purple.25754/

20. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

Stryper - "Yahweh"

Holy shit... Joke aside, I had never heard of Michael Sweet or the Christian glam metal-band he fronts (yup! it's a thing!) until he teamed up with ex-Dokken and Lynch Mob guitar virtuoso George Lynch for the acclaimed Sweet & Lynch-record Only to Rise, released early this year. And now here I am, listening to Christian glam metal - which turns out to be awesome (at least in this case, can't vouch for the subgenre as a whole). Great vocals, cool riffs & solos and rather impactful use of choirs makes this song a winner.

(To be honest, I don't really think there's a difference between satanic lyrics in metal and this. It just amazes me that this exist and that it's a thing.)

TheTalisman likes this.