1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Random Song Review Thread

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Forostar, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

Second single and album details from Hardcore Superstar. Their tenth album, titled HCSS, will be released April 22. Odd to name an album after the commonly used abbrevation of the band, considering they already have a self-titled album... Hardcore Superstar, the band with not one, but two self-titled albums.

"Don't Mean Shit" is the single accompanying the announcement, and it is more of a typical Hardcore Superstar-song. Driving bass, good melodies and instantly memorable hooks without losing any of the attitude they're known for. This is going to be great live. The production differs from previous in that the bass is very audible, which is a good thing. Coming from the almost too polished sound of their last record, this time they've kept it raw. It sounds like a slightly more worked through version of their 2010 release Split Your Lip.

Interesting facts about the album is that it contains at least one song confirmed to have been written and demoed in 1994 and that it will be played in its entirety on the tour before the release. Add the choice of title, their first shows in the US in a decade this January, the choice of Joe Barresi for mixing the album and there's no doubt about this is intended as more than just another album.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Quite like that one, although I've never thought much of any of their other music I've heard.

3. Shadow

Shadow Deluxe Edition Staff Member

For me, Hardcore Superstar will always be associated with this song, which did a lot to push ten-year-old me towards heavy music, shortly before I discovered this British metal band...

I still have that single somewhere.

4. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

"Have You Been Around" has always been one of my favourite songs from the early days of the band. Been lucky enough to have seen them play it twice live. I have personally been a fan of them since around 2001 when I heard "Shame" on TV. It was Dreamin' in a Casket (2007) that made me pick up the guitar and get into music for real though.

5. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Recommended to people who like Sabbath (especially in the Tony Martin era), with a strong touch of Candlemass: Sorcerer.
    Outstanding vocals.
    [​IMG]

Their new album In The Shadow Of The Inverted Cross ("Epic doom metal monument") has strong reviews. Here the beautiful Lake of the Lost Souls:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Perun likes this.
  6. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

That is great stuff.

Forostar likes this.
  7. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Very Sign of the Southern Cross. Not bad at all.

8. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

That's really great, Foro! Good dynamics, really good vocalist, good melodies, good guitar solo...

Like most doom, however, I just keep waiting for a change of pace that never comes. Don't think I could listen to a whole album of that, but it's pretty cool.

EDIT: Found this song:

On second thought, I really might have to pick up this album! This is great stuff.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Forostar likes this.
  9. Night Prowler

There's doom with fast paced parts too:

(This album rules btw.)
    Also that video of yours ain't working for me.

10. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Electric Eye

Zeppelin haters gonna hate, but this newly released track is completely awesome:

11. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

I don't hate Zeppelin, I don't get Zeppelin. There's a difference. But I will check out yon song.

12. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Electric Eye

Not sure what there is to "get" -- it's blues-based hard rock by great musicians that kick ass.

Or, as Robert Plant put it, it's a "cosmic energy, everybody goes 'yeah!' ... BASH!"

13. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Same here.

14. Night Prowler

Fun song. It sounds kinda retro in a good way. Some Maidenish harmonies too.

Mosh likes this.
  15. Brigantium

The harmonies and solo are sweet. Has a bit of a folky thing going on to me.

16. harrisdevot

harrisdevot Ancient Mariner

That's actually great 'till the singer gets involved. I don't know why, but the singing reminds me of Sabaton. But the intro is great.

17. Brigantium

Made me think of a slow Alestorm!

18. Perun

Perun At the Heart of Winter Staff Member

I can't wrap my head around how much amazing music is being released this year. This is already the best year for metal since 2009.

19. Perun

Seriously...

20. Perun

Then again, there's also a lot of shit.