1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Brigantium, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

I call you a speculator.

2. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

:lol:

Now that I think of it, I think I can speculate why Steve used the same song again in The Nomad. Perhaps the melody was in his subconscious or perhaps he was considering auditioning Terry Slesser, Beckett's singer, again, this time to replace Blaze Bayley and that refreshed his memories... :lol: :lol:

3. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Buttwipper beer :D.

4. Welsh Phantom

Welsh Phantom Educated Fool

Personally, I think the Nomad melody is way too close for comfort to be 'subconscious'. Nope, I don't believe that for a second. Even the way it builds is the same, not just the part you can whistle or hum.

Maybe they had already thought they had bought the rights to the song at that stage? Who knows how accurate an undisclosed timeline is. Maybe Maiden genuinely thought this was settled way before that , around 1999-2000, and thought they may as well use other parts also?

jazz from hell likes this.
  5. Collin

Collin Jambi

According to that link, Quinn lives in a mobile home. My statement I made a page ago is correct, someone is looking for an upgrade.

bornless1 likes this.
  6. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

So, supposing Maiden settled (with cash) with the other Beckett guy, on the understanding the song was all his own work, doesn't that potentially mean there could be a new legal case against him?

7. Welsh Phantom

Yes, I would say the wrong people are getting sued at this stage.

8. matic22

It seems that Quinn's promotor would rather swim in a tank with a shark in it than a small piranha, because of possible bigger prize. Greed.

So TNOTB has become a crediting nightmare. At least 4 songs on it aren't credited to all of the writers.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Welsh Phantom and Collin like this.
  9. Ruflux

Ruflux Nomad

At least Bruce isn't demanding anything! Although considering the legal situation with Samson that prevented his proper credit in the first place, I do wonder if legally speaking he even could make a claim on any of the songs he contributed lyrics to.

terrell39 likes this.
  10. Welsh Phantom

Maybe Steve 'bought Bruce a few pints' to compensate back in the 80s, if you know what I mean ;)

11. Ruflux

Ruflux Nomad

Yeah if by "bought a few pints" you mean gave him full credit for Powerslave and Revelations then sure!

Just kiddin'. Always thought that little theory was a little out there even for a conspiracy, even if you could argue it'd sort of make sense.

12. GhostofCain

:lol:

Here we go again... Bruce wrote those songs by himself - last week I even posted an interview from 1984 in which he explained the ideas behind Powerslave.

13. matic22

We know for a fact that drum intro and lyrics of Prisoner are Bruce's. Also the melody of chorus of RTTH.

14. GhostofCain

Even Rod Smallwood mentions on 12 Wasted Years Bruce as a co-writer of The Prisoner!

15. Ruflux

Ruflux Nomad

This is why the second part of my post is very relevant! Honestly I'd like to know who first even came up with it, was it someone who really didn't want to believe Bruce could write a song by himself or what?

16. AlexS

AlexS Trooper

According to the Telegraph article, the dispute is with one of the co-songwriters, who claims to own his co-writer's share now but hasn't produced evidence of his ownership yet. Maiden's management acknowledges Steve's lyrical inspiration, and suggests that Steve worked something out with the other co-writer years ago. This could end up being one of those situations where people really wish they'd gotten an oral agreement in writing.

17. matic22

COTD from Newcastle.
    Love how happy Nicko is when he starts the song.

18. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Hot damn, I'd say any worries of Bruce losing his top range can be assuaged by that vid. He's fucking flying high there. Sometimes too high for the melody, but it's there.

19. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

That snare sound though.....terrible

20. srfc

srfc Nomad

I remember bruce mentioning that he made a "moral contribution" (his jokey phrase) to 4 tracks on the album, and he has definitely made illusions to Children of the Damned being one of them.

Not sure what the other one is, gangland maybe?