The North Korean missile threat

I don't think it's gonna happen, at least not in the near future. If they did launch a missile the USA's missile defense would likely catch it. That's why they're sending systems to Guam. But right now they're just posturing and making hollow threats. Another war with NK would be short and bloody for both sides and one that NK won't win. And my guess is that they know this and that's why nothing has happened despite years of threats. Kim Jong Un went to school in Switzerland, he has exposure to the West and probably has a good idea of how NK stacks up with the rest of the world.

The real question is how much has Kim's opinions changed since he got back to North Korea. I don't think he's foolish enough to launch an attack on South Korea, Japan, or the USA. And if they do, it'll probably fail. Just look at North Korea's missile launch attempts...but if it does succeed, they better make it count, because the USA will peel North Korea like a fucking orange. It'll make the immobilization of Libya look like child's play.

And that's assuming that North Korea doesn't get a nuclear response. I don't think Obama would allow a high-yield nuclear warhead to be released, but I could see bunker busters being dropped on North Korea's nuclear facilities.

Yeah, I can easily say I'm not too worried about this either and I'm the type of person who gets really freaked out by these sort of things. Like Mosh said, I feel they're just making hollow threats. They're starting to sound like a broken record and frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it. I know news about it isn't going to go away anytime soon so this is why I've been ignoring it. Now, I haven't been really following fully into this whole thing as I'm not into politics or anything like that. This is just how it's coming across to me.

The real question is how much has Kim's opinions changed since he got back to North Korea. I don't think he's foolish enough to launch an attack on South Korea, Japan, or the USA. And if they do, it'll probably fail. Just look at North Korea's missile launch attempts...but if it does succeed, they better make it count, because the USA will peel North Korea like a fucking orange. It'll make the immobilization of Libya look like child's play.

And that's assuming that North Korea doesn't get a nuclear response. I don't think Obama would allow a high-yield nuclear warhead to be released, but I could see bunker busters being dropped on North Korea's nuclear facilities.

Agreed. I can't imagine that his opinions have changed too much though; otherwise I suppose there would be an attack. But yea, in the event of NK successfully firing a nuke, that'll be it for the.

The USA has to take it seriously, of course...and I think one of the reasons they are not saying...exactly what we are saying here in public is because they want to ensure North Korea can save face.

Yea. I've tried to be careful with how I word my posts about this. A lot of people seem to have this attitude of wanting NK to start a war so America can swoop in and wipe them off the face of the earth, when it's not that simple. It's still a delicate situation with innocent lives involved and should be taken seriously.

The real question is how much has Kim's opinions changed since he got back to North Korea. I don't think he's foolish enough to launch an attack on South Korea, Japan, or the USA. And if they do, it'll probably fail.
I am not sure if an attack on Seoul would fail. A huge city, with 25 million citizens living in it. So large, difficult to defend.

Let's just hope it won't happen.

Picture I found on the BBC website:

_59119706_north_korea_ranges_2.jpg

These videos are so directed, that it is comical. And it looks so... so old fashioned.
And these people are so brainwashed (or afraid to act otherwise). Look at that girl at 1:16.
And this next one calls for a ridiculed version. The way he taps on the shoulder of that soldier. He look, it should go like this!

I think China are the key players in preventing another war. They've held North's Korea's hand in the past and I imagine that it's likely that the Chinese government will pull the plug if this situation goes too far. Even the Russian government has condemned the North Koreans in the last few days, so it's only a matter of time before they run out of friends.

There's no way China will stand behind a war against two of their biggest trade partners.

I am not sure if an attack on Seoul would fail. A huge city, with 25 million citizens living in it. So large, difficult to defend.

Seoul is one of the most heavily defended cities on the planet. Pretty much the entire South Korean army, plus 60,000 US soldiers, are between North Korea and Seoul. On top of that, it has at least one US carrier group within range, plus the massive forces the US has available at Yokohama and Guam, all within a day's journey. If you're talking about a nuclear strike, my biggest thought there is that the North Koreans nuclear weapons likely will not detonate properly.

Yes, I talked about such a strike. It's hard to miss a city of such size. And the distance is short enough to not intercept it on time.

You have to assume that Kim doesn't want to nuke his own soil. Seoul is so close to the border that the radiation would hit his own cities.

I'm assuming that we're dealing with a madman (certainly if he would do this) who doesn't care much about his own folk.

But this young Kim is very unknown. We don't know what he will do. The previous leaders were a bit less unpredictable in their behaviour.

Back