The Nomad

How good is The Nomad on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'The Nomad'

vicious said:
The instrumental part blow me away evertime i hear it.

I find it excellent, especially for driving on the highway....Probably Nomad is my all time car classic

Every time I hear this song and the variations of the riff, I think of a woman doing a dance of a thousand veils of something...  :)

The Nomad is a great 'atmosphere' song with fantastic solos and just overall great music. I love it because it's different somehow from Maiden's other work, and I find that The Pilgrim echoes this uniqueness a little. I've never bothered too much with the lyrics, just like I've never really bothered with the lyrics of Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Both songs have great music and thats enough for me. If I want deep lyrics I'll go to Brighter Than a Thousand Suns or Blood Brothers.

Actually, To Tame a Land is a predecessor to this great song (The Nomad).  But I think that The Nomad is more atmospheric that its predecessor.  I do like the lyrics; I don't know why the general consensus on the lyrics is that they're not as good, etc.  I think they're better than To Tame a Land.

Genghis Khan said:
Every time I hear this song and the variations of the riff, I think of a woman doing a dance of a thousand veils of something...  :)

The sa'sara*? :innocent:

*Wheel of Time reference

The term "Dance of a 1,000 veils" I took from a computer game called Age of Wonders.  That game borrows heavily from ancient myths and novels so I would not be surprized if the authors got the idea from Robert Jordan.

In my head, while listening to the song, I imagine a nomad woman dancing seductively on top of a dinner table.  One tribe of nomads is hosting another.  While she dances, she brings men to heights of passion and madness and one nomad side starts killing the other as the dance goes on.  Pretty nasty.  I'm must have picked it up somewhere.  I understand that sa'sara brings men to perform crazy acts.

As soon as that amazing instrumental section enters, it will take me on a journey right through the solar system...it's just so huuuuuuge! I keep imaging how great this song would have sounded live in concert accompanied by an appropriate light show...no question, it was a missed opportunity and this is for real!

Reactions: jcv

Yes, the instrumental section is gigantic! Everytime I hear it I feel like I'm in a sort of virtual reality thing, racing through the cosmos and landscapes of the Earth at lightning speed, a little bit like in Space Odyssey 2001 towards the end. It's just epic.

I agree with you that the song is very atmospheric, sounds like you're in the desert.

Though I don't mind song length, putting the solos directly in the early parts of the instrumental section kinda kills the climax for me.

But generally I love this song a lot.

Quite a few of you obviously havent read the Commentary...

The instrumental part of 'The Nomad' has been borrowed from Beckett's 'Life's Shadow', a song featured on their one and only self-titled 1974 album. Obviously, it has been re-arranged to fit Iron Maiden's style and sound, but the similarity is absolutely unmistakable. Incidentally, 'Life's Shadow' also contains lyrics that Steve Harris used for 'Hallowed Be Thy Name'. Some may consider this plagiarism, but I doubt that Maiden would have used this material without prior consent of the original artists. Besides, there's nothing wrong with a little inspiration from another band when you write such a great piece of music. In any case, Beckett may have released only one album, but they sure influenced Steve a lot!

And the bottom line is: this brilliant instrumental section that we all love wasn't written by Harris.
There! :smartarse:

Are you trying to tell us we're not supposed to like the instrumental section because it originally appeared on this Beckett song? Nobody claimed it was written by Harris. As for me, I'd prefer 'The Nomad' over 'Lifes Shadow' anytime.

I was merely stating a fact that seemed overlooked by the others. I also tend to prefer the instrumental section as played by Maiden, although for the general feel of the song, I'd choose Beckett. Moreover, Maiden's lyrics are quite cheesy and do not compare with Beckett's.

It's yet again a matter of taste, I suppose.  :smartarse:

Maverick said:
I was merely stating a fact that seemed overlooked by the others. I also tend to prefer the instrumental section as played by Maiden, although for the general feel of the song, I'd choose Beckett. Moreover, Maiden's lyrics are quite cheesy and do not compare with Beckett's.

It's yet again a matter of taste, I suppose.  :smartarse:

Knowing where the instrumental section originates from doesn't mean I enjoy the song less, it still evokes the same feelings for me. As for the lyrics of "The Nomad", I admit that it's one of the few poor Maiden lyrics... still, I think "Life's Shadow" is a decent track, but not really going anywhere for me. As you said, a matter of taste. ;)

I know many people said it before, but yeah, the middle section is amazing, especially when i found the tabs to play it on guitar!!! Oh, it sounds so amazing, you know, I really love that song, so playing it is like moving onto the next level.

Lovro said:
I know many people said it before, but yeah, the middle section is amazing, especially when i found the tabs to play it on guitar!!! Oh, it sounds so amazing, you know, I really love that song, so playing it is like moving onto the next level.

Yeah, the middle section is good and I like playing along with it. I have one problem with it, though. I think it loses some of its greatness when, instead of some kind of climax in the end - a dramatic guitar solo, a bridge or a verse different from the other ones - it just jumps right back into the familiar verse. To illiustrate what I mean, in Alexander the Great the verse is different when the guitar solos end. Different rythm, chord progression, style. In The Nomad, the atmosphere in the middle section builds up drama, just for it to jump back into the same old verse that we've already heard.

I like the song, but for me it's not top half of Brave New World. I enjoy the first four and Dream of Mirrors more. (Which doesn't say much, I love these songs)

But of course, variation in how the songs are built up is one strength of great bands. Like Maiden. Here, they chose to fly, where ... eh, they chose to place the guitar solo early and not have any solos in the end of the middle instrumental. Which I respect.

Nomad

Nomad is one of my favorites on BNW but there is something i dont get: the lyrics, they're probly the reason this song has never been played live. First of all, it is a dry subject imo to sing about one who comes and goes and secondly Steve writes these lyrics in a way that would give someone the wrong idea about what a nomad is, infact, at the "no ones talked to you and lived to tell the tale" part i nearly fellover laughing its so... I don't get it, perhaps someone could explain this to me?

A bit too long, IMO, and the lyrics aren't that great. But it's cool anyway. I really like the middle eastern vibe and the "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" part that starts at 0:47.

Daily Song: The Nomad

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Nomad

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

From the beginning to end, a forgotten masterpiece. Grand lyrics. Davey steals the show here, and the sound is this perfect blend of desert mystery and heavy riffage. The little guitar work after the intro riff, the higher-pitched little warble, sounds amazing, and really makes me think of being in Cairo, or Beirut, or Baghdad in years gone by. The instrumental is simply beautiful.

10/10.

Back