The Man Who Would Be King

How good is The Man Who Would Be King on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
For the sake of archiving:

For this album, The Man Who Would Be King was the 8th song that was recorded, on January 20, 2010.

This song doesn't seem to be related to the movie. In it, one of the main characters actually becomes a king. I think it might not be really important to know who's the man who would be king. In fact, to me it sounds like a fairly pessimistic song. As in: you would have become a king, but you ruined it all by killing (presumably) a friend. You were too proud. So now all you can do is hide away and hope that someday the people you've hurt will be willing to forgive you. Seen this way, it stands nicely before WTWWB, which also ends in a bad way (in a much worse way, though) It might be just a story that presents a situation not relying on actual names.

I have no idea what this song is about. And believe me, I tried hard. I even seem to see some contradictions inside it. But whatever, the music is sublime.

Did you read the lyrics?

It is about a man who has commited the crime of murder. That's it in a nutshell, I can explain more but I'm really tired.

MaidenCanada said:
This song, along with the opening track, is the only one on The Final Frontier that I regularly skip.
You should give it a few chances. It took a the longest time to grow on me. And I skip the opener too.

Daily Song: The Man Who Would Be King

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Man Who Would Be King

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This song is good, but it's not great. It's not even very good. It seems to plod along, almost mindlessly, and I can't pretend that I enjoy it. Overall? My least favourite on the album. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Man Who Would Be King

One of my favorites off the album. It has a great middle section and I like the chorus. 8/10

This song grew the fastest for me. The intro and outro are beautiful, and the rest rocks as hell. Check how cool those rhythm guitars sound during the verses. I like it that Bruce's lines are short, so that we can really hear the guitars "breathing" in those pauses. One of the guys plays it a bit different as well, with higher notes.

The least part is the solo break which could have been better if we'd hear Dave better. I don't get why Dave's solo is so soft in the mix. Maybe to give Janick's soaring long tones more room.

The pre-chorus makes me sit on the edge of my seat. I love the way that repeating melody continues, holding the tension. It fits remarkably well to these different chords, and Bruce's vocals.

My second favourite from the album, Dave's solo is perfect but I can't hear it so well because of the mix like Foro said before me. It has a classic great Dave Murray intro, great melodies, ideas and a great performance from Bruce. 10/10.

10/10. Another favourite of mine from the album. O.K. Here's something I've wanted to know since the first time I heard this song. Starting at about 3:58, is that pedal steel guitar? It sure sounds like it to me, although synth is more likely. Love this tune...

Close, It's just a finger slide. By Janick I assume.

LooseCannon said:
This song is good, but it's not great. It's not even very good. It seems to plod along, almost mindlessly, and I can't pretend that I enjoy it. Overall? My least favourite on the album. 6/10.

Agreed. It's not even interesting like S15...TFF, a good rocker like Alchemist or El Dorado, interesting in its own way like Mother of Mercy or Coming Home, or an instant classic like Isle of Avalon, Starblind, WTWWB, or Talisman. If it weren't there, this could be the best run of songs Maiden ever had on an album.

10. Maiden most beautiful slow intro and the outro is just gripping. Master job. The lyrics are simple, but it makes me think a lot about my own life as losing everything is, sometimes, one step away. The melodies in this song are simply tear inducing, and Dave's backwards solo is too buried in the mix; Jan's make some interesting slides on the solos section, and then, comes the tempo change with a great duet. I love the guitar tones in this song. Bruce's singing on the outro is terrific and the song ends perfectly. I liked it at first listening. :edmetal:

'The Man Who Would Be Kind' could be a much better song if there wasn't that awkward middle part (3:58 until 5:00). Hence I can rate the song with 7/10 only.

LC summed this up well, it does just plod along. My least favourite from the album on an album that, in general, is pretty good. 6/10.

Forostar said:
This song grew the fastest for me. The intro and outro are beautiful, and the rest rocks as hell. Check how cool those rhythm guitars sound during the verses. I like it that Bruce's lines are short, so that we can really hear the guitars "breathing" in those pauses. One of the guys plays it a bit different as well, with higher notes.

The least part is the solo break which could have been better if we'd hear Dave better. I don't get why Dave's solo is so soft in the mix. Maybe to give Janick's soaring long tones more room.

The pre-chorus makes me sit on the edge of my seat. I love the way that repeating melody continues, holding the tension. It fits remarkably well to these different chords, and Bruce's vocals.

Pretty much this.

The intro and outro are top shelf Murray.  The verse riff, pre-chorus and chorus all sound remorseful in line with the lyrics.  It is a great song and rightfully sits amongst the epics at the back-half of the album. The reverse solo of Dave's doesn't really work in my opinion, I would like to hear his original version.

Amazing intro, but its not that good overall. 7/10.

Back