The Legacy

How good is The Legacy on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'The Legacy'

Susie said:
Well, maybe "played with their minds" doesn't mean the enemies' mind.

Read the commentary.  That line refers to the soldiers, themselves.  I believe so too.

I always took it as being "semi-referential" to Bush/Blair. I saw the death-bed as being a metaphor of the declining popularity of them both, and not a literal interpretation. I also agree that the "promises of peace"-line makes it unlikely to be a conventional dictator. ie. Saddam etc. The line "We live in an uncertain world" also suggest that it's meant to be taken as contemporary. And the line "Your prophecies will send us all to hell as well" to me echoes the London bombings.

To me there's a lot more that points to it being a contemporary criticism of the war in Iraq than anything historical. The "yellow gas" is probably taken from WW1 mustard gas or Agent Orange, but as with most of the lyrics, I think that might be simply because it's a great image. Whenever people come home from war, be it Vietnam, Iraq or WW1, there's trauma, and the use of the gas that has "played with their minds" as opposed to simply saying "the horrors" or whatever, just proves more effective.

But as Janick points out in the interview, while it may have originally been meant to be directed at a single individual (my guess is Bush/Blair), Steve altered the lyrics it to make it a much more general statement, thus blurring the line between any "black and white" interpretation.

I found Janick's comment about them not being political is quite telling as well. They've always had a very heavy theme about War, and while some could be taken as being heroic/patriotic (Aces High in particular), most of them have been about the futility of war. They've definitely made a statement throughout their career. The only reason to "unpoliticise" any lyrics would be if it was too obvious a jeer at any one politician/party.

Genghis Khan said:
:okok:

It could also be about Saddam Hussein, especially the allegation about using chemical warfare.  He presumably fought to make peace, now that he's gone... Oops, this is not the route I intended to go.  Hussein is an evil bastard, but as far as a politician is concerned -- he made a good run at it.  It took a while to dethrone him.  On the other hand, I know more about Bush, so when the lyrics point to "peace" in the song, it is easier to relate it to Bush, specifically.  The part of the "golden sons", for example, could very well refer to the needlessly dying soldiers who could have been "given a chance... at least."

I sort of think that, the lyrics seem to refer to the Iraq War, but then seem to vary in places to other, more general, anti-war messages

OK two points:

1 - OK, I'm new here. So an answer for this question MIGHT have been answered somewhere else on the forum: are you working on an ''Matter Of Life And Dath Tour'' and ''A Matter Of The Beast'' tour guide?

2 - The intro for the tour is ''Mars, the Bringer of War''. That fits pretty good, since the whole album is about war, religion and basicly man's self destruction.

Daily Song: The Legacy

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Legacy

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I wish this was about something more particular. There is a lot to like here, but I just can't give it a 10. It is a fantastic track, however. 9.

Re: Daily Song: The Legacy

My least favorite song from AMOL&D. It takes too much time to begin, and beginning itself is kinda repetitive, but the rest of the song makes up for it. Still, it's only 8/10.

NightProwler666 said:
My least favorite song from AMOL&D. It takes too much time to begin, and beginning itself is kinda repetitive, but the rest of the song makes up for it. Still, it's only 8/10.

Their best song since the reunion (Yes, better then Pashendale) . I just love everything about this song, and the Intro i perfect as it is, those 3 minutes are one of the best parts of the song!
Easily a 10.

9 or 10? This was the stand-out track live on their tour. But is it the best on the album? Not sure....but it's a blinding song nevertheless. Hmm, 9.

One of several songs which served as input for The Recycleman.
The intro is majestic, full of haunting acoustic guitars and sudden interludes of bombast.
I am not that fond of the last couple of minutes but up til Janick's solo (one of the best of the album!) it's a great ride.

NightProwler666 said:
My least favorite song from AMOLAD. It takes too much time to begin, and beginning itself is kinda repetitive, but the rest of the song makes up for it. Still, it's only 8/10.

Great song, one of the most atypical ones from the band, and yet captivating and engaging. The intro continues to give me one chill after another. All in all, I tend to think of it as a two-part song: The intro and first heavy segment tell you a story, while the second part (starting with the instrumental section at 5:10) is more of a reflection... in some way, both of the story and of the album in its entirety. That part sounds very strange, especially vocally, but it works. When I heard the song end the first time, I simply thought to myself: "They did it again." 10/10

9/10 from me.  Honestly the only thing I don't totally love about this song are the double vocals on the chorus and the lack of a totally awesome solo.  That last chord really ends the album on the right note too.

'The Legacy', well, a very disappointing album closer, I must say. The song obviously consists of two parts. Part one is a clean Genesis/Gabriel era rip-off and part two a Queensryche rip-off, regarding to the vocals. To me, it's one of the worst Maiden songs ever. To cut a long story short, it's just not my cup of tea, it's just not Maiden (2/10).

I can't think of a better way to end such a great album. 10/10

10/10. Personally, I think it's the finest song on an album full of outstanding material. Janick's solo is among my favourites, and his acoustic work is great too. The lyrics remain somewhat of a mystery to me, but Bruce's delivery of them overcomes that. This is not a typical Maiden tune, but I think it stands with the best of them.

A really string finish to a great album.  I've grown to like this more and more over over the years to the point of giving it a 10.

Cosmiceddie said:
'The Legacy', well, a very disappointing album closer, I must say. The song obviously consists of two parts. Part one is a clean Genesis/Gabriel era rip-off and part two a Queensryche rip-off, regarding to the vocals. To me, it's one of the worst Maiden songs ever. To cut a long story short, it's just not my cup of tea, it's just not Maiden (2/10).

Sadly, I agree - would have been better off with Lord of Light, FTGGOG or TROBB as the closer. Legacy was a bit too far. 3/10 for me.

Another stab at something different. Unlike the last song, this one works very well. I like how it takes its time to get going. I like what it does when it gets going. I like the picture painted by the lyrics. I like the more traditional Maiden feel of the instrumental. And it like the way it closes — on its own and finishing the album. Eight

Back