The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

True, the best CGI actor in town lol, or at least Jackson's favorite since he also used him for Kong

Source:

Legendary actor SIR IAN McKELLEN is poised to revive his role as wizard GANDALF in the movie adaptations of J.R.R. TOLKIEN's novel THE HOBBIT - insisting he's the obvious candidate for the job.

McKellen, who has appeared as Gandalf in all three Lord Of The Rings films, has made no secret of his desire to land the part - even though Peter Jackson will not be directing. Speaking exclusively to WENN, the veteran actor admitted he could not think of anyone better to play the role than himself.

He said, "I certainly hope it's true - have you got anybody else who you think should be doing it?" McKellen isn't the only actor praying for a phone call to confirm his involvement in the Lord Of The Rings prequels - Elijah Wood is also desperate to revive his role as Frodo Baggins.

Forostar said:
Elijah Wood is also desperate to revive his role as Frodo Baggins.

What? Frodo isn't in The Hobbit. He wasn't even born at the time, IIRC. And trying to force him in there to get Elijah Woods in the movie would be extraordinarily dumb.

Could happen, though. Hollywood moviemakers aren't known for their brains.

Excellent news. Del Toro has indeed become the director and...

Rings stars sign up for Hobbit
The Dominion Post | Tuesday, 29 April 2008

Lord of the Rings stars Sir Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis have signed up for The Hobbit and could soon be back in Wellington, according to director Guillermo del Toro.

On the Tolkien fan website www.theonering.net, del Toro said he had "the most charming meeting" with Sir Ian, who played Gandalf the wizard in the Rings trilogy.

"All bureaucracy pending, he's on board, as is Andy Serkis (Gollum)."

Sir Ian's official website already has him booked to play Gandalf in The Hobbit in 2010.

From London where he is putting the finishing touches to Hellboy II, del Toro said he and Kiwi director Peter Jackson met when they were both working on Halo - but even though that project never got off the ground, they stayed in touch.

He had been adamant he would be interested in The Hobbit only "if Peter was involved" and the New Line lawsuit was resolved.

A call from Jackson to say it was all go was like his "Christmas gift".

Del Toro described New Zealand's film industry as "Hollywood the way God intended it".

"New Zealand has all the technical advantages when doing a big movie and you are shooting it in paradise, both in terms of artistic freedom and commitment."

Much of the preparatory work for the film would take place this summer, including the "reforestation of The Shire", replanting all the trees where they were.

Del Toro said he would prefer to use locations and avoid digital recreations of environments where possible.

It was his intention to "not lose any of the key elements" for the two Hobbit films.

Here two interviews with Del Toro.

One with MTV and this one from The One Ring.net, which I posted it here as well. In blue, the part about 'The Second Film'.

How did this whole process get started?

GDT: I met Peter (Jackson) a long time ago when we were planning on doing ‘Halo’ together, I really love how they have that setup in New Zealand, I call it ‘Hollywood the way God intended it’. New Zealand has all the technical advantages when doing a big movie and you are shooting it in paradise, both in terms of artistic freedom and commitment.

When ‘Halo’ didn’t happen, Peter and I stayed in contact on a regular basis, and last winter I started getting inklings that ‘The Hobbit’ may come this way, mainly from the studio. The first thing I said was that I would only be interested if Peter was involved and the (New Line Lawsuit) problem gets resolved. When that issue was resolved I got a call from Peter and we chatted, and it started from then, it was my Christmas gift!

Fans are all abuzz about ‘The Second Film’, can you tell some of your plans for it?

GDT: You know, I traveled to New Zealand just a little while ago, and one of the main reasons for going was to sit down and talk about the second film. ‘The Hobbit’, the book, is really one self-contained film, so for the second movie we sat down and worked it out. When we did this we got really excited because this second film is not a ‘tag on’, it’s not ‘filler’, it’s an integral part of telling the story of those 50 years of history lost in the narrative. There will be certain things that we will see from the first movie but from a different point of view, but it will feel like a volume, in the 5 volumes of the entire story. It will not feel like a bridge, I’ve been hearing it called ‘a bridge film’, it’s not, it’s an integral chapter of the story, and I think we’re all on the same page.

You will be moving down to New Zealand for 4 years, is that right?

GDT: Approximately, my whole family, but the first stages of design and R&D will be done with me going back and fourth from LA and New Zealand because there are a lot of things I need to put to bed before I finally move to New Zealand. I’m going much sooner than my relatives would like!

We will officially be doing a lot of prep on ‘The Hobbit’ this summer, there is so much to do, its amazing. Just the reforestation of The Shire, re planting all those trees and plants will take months, and we’re going to be as exact as possible.

Films like ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ used a few studio sets to simulate outdoors, will you be doing the same for ‘The Hobbit’ or will you be making use of New Zealand’s wilderness like Peter did?

GDT: I think green screen photography is exactly like CGI, it is a tool, I don’t think it should be overused. Things like ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ and ‘The Devil’s Backbone’ are incredibly dependent on location, we shot on location for more than half the time. Those locations can be enhanced by technology however, both digital and physical. What I would like to avoid is the recreation of the natural environments in CG, I don’t like doing that. The movie is essentially a journey movie, I think you need to use locations as much as possible.

You’ll be using WETA Digital for the effects?

GDT: Yes, the essential elements for keeping continuity are on track, in the last few weeks I’ve been chatting with a ton of people via email, phone, and in person from the previous films. People like Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, Richard Taylor next week I’m meeting Alan Lee. I’m doing this to ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films, yes it’s a world that is slightly more golden at the beginning, a very innocent environment.

What I’m trying to do is keep the elements in place but allow you to feel a progression from ‘The Hobbit’ until ‘The Return of the King’. I believe ‘The Hobbit’ is a very crucial volume in The Lord of the Rings, it is a narrative that starts out very much in an innocent and golden way. It is permeated from England going through World War One, so there is a loss of innocence and a darker tone as the book and the film progresses. We’ll be doing that in the first film, taking you from a time of more purity to a darker reality throughout the film, but I think that is in the spirit of the book. All these guys, Alan Lee, John Howe, these guys are integral for us to map out that progress in the two movies, and allow you to completely blend in to the universe that is already in place. But this will be a progression, it should not feel at the start of the film that this is the same time (as the beginning of ‘Fellowship’). 50 years in Shire time, is not the same as 50 years in human time, if you think about how our world has changed in only 7 or 8 years, you can think of it as decades of turmoil, those 50 years in Middle-earth.

Do you have any roles cast?

GDT: Well, I had the most charming meeting with Sir Ian, and all bureaucracy pending, he’s on board, as is Andy Serkis. We will continue giving you progress reports as the occur. It is our intention that we will not lose any of the key elements.

What will differ from your films versus Peter’s?

The only thing I will be pushing for more in these films that the other three are full animatronics and animatronic creatures enhanced with CGI, as opposed to CGI creatures themselves. We really want to take the state-of-the-art animatronics and take a leap ten years into the future with the technology we will develop for the creatures in the movie. We have every intention to do for animatronics and special effects what the other films did for virtual reality.

Another thing people will notice, at the beginning of the film will be the palette, that will be slightly different, the world will be the same but it will be a more ‘golden’ world, a more wide-eyed world. But by no means will we depart from the canon, we will take the three previous films as canon. When I become part of a world that I love, such as this, I really come with a lot of enthusiasm and hard work, and we know we are recreating and creating a world that is part of the mythos of millions of people and we will approach it as passionately and respectfully as it needs to be taken.

Some of you might have heard all the bad news, that this film wouldn't happen, but very recently it was announced that the project will continue, with filming in February 2011.  :yey:

copied from BBC news, 17 October:

The Hobbit to begin filming in February next year Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy won 11 Oscars in 2003

Filming on The Hobbit is set to begin in February after it was finally given the go-ahead by film studio bosses.

Warner Bros also announced that Peter Jackson, who directed the Oscar-winning Lord of the Rings trilogy, would direct the two-part prequel.

The films, based on JRR Tolkien's book, had been delayed for months due to MGM Studios' - which owns half the project - ongoing financial woes.

No release dates for the movies have been given.

According to industry paper Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros and MGM reached a deal allowing MGM to cover its half of the production, estimated to cost a total of $500m (£313m).

Jackson, who co-wrote the screenplays and is also producing the films, originally hired Mexican-born Guillermo Del Toro to direct, but he pulled out in June citing almost two years of delays.

Last month, the project was threatened further after Jackson warned production could cease or be moved from its location in New Zealand over a pay wrangle with acting unions.

The two movies will be shot back to back using digital 3D cameras.

In a statement, Jackson said: "Exploring Tolkien's Middle-earth goes way beyond a normal film-making experience.

"It's an all-immersive journey into a very special place of imagination, beauty and drama. We're looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo."

The Lord of the Rings trilogy grossed nearly $3bn (£1.88bn) at box offices worldwide and in 2003 the final chapter, Return of the King, dominated the Oscars, winning in all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including best film.

And part of the cast is announced!

The full text of the New Line Cinema press release is as follows:

PETER JACKSON ANNOUNCES THE CAST OF THE HOBBIT FILMS

Martin Freeman Confirmed to Star as Title Character “Bilbo Baggins” Richard Armitage to Play “Thorin Oakenshield,” Leader of the Dwarves

(LOS ANGELES October 21, 2010) – Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan
Turner, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton have joined the ensemble cast of the The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.; Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro- Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., and Peter Jackson.

Since The Hobbit films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing. Set for release in December, 2012 and December, 2013, we can confirm that Martin Freeman (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Hot Fuzz) will play Bilbo Baggins, the hero of the story. Richard Armitage (UK TV’ s MI-5 and soon to appear in Captain America: The First Avenger) is set to play Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves which sets off to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from a thieving dragon.

“Despite the various rumours and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us,” says Peter Jackson. “ There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave – exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit.” He adds “Richard is one of the most exciting and dynamic actors working on screen today and we know he is going to make an amazing Thorin Oakensheild. We cannot wait to start this adventure with him and feel very lucky that one of the most beloved characters in Middle-earth is in such good hands.”

Rounding out the Company of Dwarves are Aidan Turner (TV’ s Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (TVs EastEnders) who play Kili and Fili, respectively. Jackson comments “Rob is an extremely talented young actor with a huge career in front of him, I’m thrilled that he has agreed to take on the role of Fili. Besides his talent as an actor, Rob is also a champion sword fighter; I’m looking forward to seeing the damage he can do to a horde of marauding Goblins!” He continues, “Adian is a wonderfully gifted young actor who hails from Ireland. I’m sure he will bring enormous heart and humor to the role of Kili.”

The remaining dwarves will be played by Graham McTavish (Secretariat and TV’ s 24) as Dwalin; John Callen (TV’ s Power Rangers Jungle Fury) as Oin; Stephen Hunter (TV’ s All Saints) as Bombur; Mark Hadlow (King Kong) as Dori; and Peter Hambleton (TV’ s The Strip) as Gloin.

Jackson notes, “Graham is a terrific actor, with a great depth of experience, which I know he will bring to the role of “Dwalin. I have worked with Mark Hadlow on many projects; he is a fantastic actor. I am thrilled to be working with both of them on these movies. He adds, “I am also proud to announce the casting of New Zealand actors as Peter Hambleton, John Callen and Stephen Hunter. Fran and I know that they will bring great depth and talent to our Company of Dwarves.”

The two The Hobbit films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with Phillipa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer.

The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed LOTR trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, “ Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy’ s production was also unprecedented at the time.

Meet the cast at theonering.net

Good news. I heard a rumour a while back that Martin Freeman would be playing Bilbo and thought he'd be perfect. The others are all unknown to me.

There's been so many delays for this project that I'd be lying if I said my enthusiasm for it hasn't suffered. That said, I'm sure it'll perk up again when the inevitable trailer is released next summer. The fact that it took the studio so long to confirm PJ as the director may seem bizarre to some but after "The Lovely Bones" debacle it's entirely understandable. Awful movie. I do think he is the man for the job though. Certainly way more qualified than that del Toro hack!!! Fuck me, if ever there was a poster boy for style over substance and shit pacing he is the guy. Thank fuck he's off the project! Bring it PJ!!!

duuuuude... del Toro did an excellent job with Pan's Labyrinth... but The Hobbit is indeed in better hands with PJ. :ok:

I can't believe how much weight the guy has lost btw :eek:

peter-jackson.jpg

The Devil's Backbone is the only movie he's made that I've fully enjoyed. Pan's Labyrinth got caught between two stools both stories suffered as a result. That said, everyone in the world loves the fucking movie...

I liked Pan's Labyrinth, but Hellboy 2 was really not so good.

However, the casting is excellent - I would say Bill Nighy as Smaug in particular is brilliant.

LooseCannon said:
I liked Pan's Labyrinth, but Hellboy 2 was really not so good.

However, the casting is excellent - I would say Bill Nighy as Smaug in particular is brilliant.

Hellboy 2 was abysmal. I think del Toro should stick to low budget art flicks myself.

That is a strong cast for The Hobbit. PJ has a great eye for talent.

Any chance someone who has never been into Tolkien will enjoy this film?

Perun said:
Any chance someone who has never been into Tolkien will enjoy this film?

Yes.  The Hobbit is a children's classic, and more accessible than The Lord of the Rings.  The latter is more epic, obviously, but the former is still a good, exciting story. That said, if fantasy creatures like elves, ogres and dragons aren't your cup of tea, that's what this will be about.  Did you see Peter Jackson's Rings trilogy?  I imagine it will be similar in look and feel.   

There should be less overemphasized drama, less slow-overdramatic-saying-goodbyes, less crying, and less women who don't belong there, thus less unnecessary romance.

In other words. If you could stand the LOTR film, big chance you can stand this one as well.

Back