1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ides of March

Discussion in 'Killers' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is The Ides of March on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

13.0%
  2. 9

8.7%
  3. 8

15.2%
  4. 7

21.7%
  5. 6

17.4%
  6. 5

17.4%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

4.3%
  9. 2

2.2%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Ides Of March' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

2. Uwe

Uwe Trooper

'the Ides Of March'

Hehe, have to agree, this song is way too short. Cool drums, a great solo, but too f***in' short, that's why it did not get 5 stars.

3. Maidenfreak

Maidenfreak Ancient Mariner

'the Ides Of March'

pretty cool solos, nice intro, but nothing too special IMO. At least it's better than the Samson version! 3,5 stars

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

'the Ides Of March'

Four and a half for what I think is a model album opener, and best one by Maiden. It sounds so classic, it could just as well be found on some standard Sabbath or Deep Purple album.
    Great little solos, where you can among other things quickly spot the difference between Adrian's and Dave's style (even I as a guitar ignorant). I don't even mind the piece is short, it's a gem. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
    The explosion of Wrathchild afterwards works well for me.

5. ______no5

______no5 The Angel Of The Odd

Re: 'the Ides Of March'

One of the greatest Maiden songs ever and it's not counting even 2 minutes !!

The Ides of March is the 15th of March.
    Others say that term "ides" shows not one, but two days : 15 and/ or 16 of March

Something I know, is that not all the months had their "ides" !!
    This term was existing for three or four months of the calendar
    one of them was March....

If somebody knows the others, please to let me know

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Every month in the Roman calendar has got Ides. In March, May, July and October, they are on the 15th, the rest of the months, on the 13th.

7. ______no5

[...]

yes it got to be this, thanks !!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, but I hope you understood that I was saying that every month has Ides, not just those four.

9. ______no5

yes of course !
    I was remembering the existance of the four "different" months (I was almost sure about October),
    but I couldn't find my source.... My doupt for the "double day" must come from the existance of the 13th day ides !!

anyway, it's one month that I was trying to find this, and what you say seems to me 100% right !!

:ok:

10. Re: 'the Ides Of March'

Ceasar asked one oracle about his life, and he told him to be carefoul the Ides of March
    That day it was already programmed for something important to be happened in the Senate, but Caesar didn't want to show fear so he didn't cancel the event

He met again the oracle in the stairs of Senate building (as he was going for the event) and said to him "you see ? Ides of March has arrived"
    the oracle gave to him an ironic /riddling answer "yes, but it didn't pass"

Like Marc Aurilius, he expressed his very last words in Greek (brothers help me -You too, child?)

He fell dead -ironically enough- in the feet of his enemy's statue Sextus Pompeius (that he had executed some years before)

11. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Daily Song: The Ides of March

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Ides of March

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.
    [hr][/hr]
    A fun little instrumental that really should just be part of the introduction to Wrathchild, but isn't. 6/10.

12. Jonszat

Jonszat Trooper

Re: Daily Song: The Ides of March

6/10 but it's close to a 7. It's cool and a like it but I can't justify it being any higher than that really. Good introduction to the album.

13. Invader

Invader Ancient Mariner

I give it 7.  It's a solid instrumental, but it feels too much like an intro and too little like an independent song.  I like all 3 other instrumentals more, but I think Maiden should do instrumentals occasionally.

14. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

Wait, I thought this was a Samson song.

Ides never really did much for me. 3/10

15. Cap Maronis

Cap Maronis Trooper

Judging it as a pure Maiden song is silly, since you know it's just ridiculous to even consider it so.

For what it is, you are prepared for what's about to come, and the seamless transition directly into Wrathchild is beastly. I know that might count in Wrathchild's favor more, but both should benefit.

8/10

16. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

This is no more a stand-alone song than the Hellion by Judas Priest.
    But it is great album opener for sliding into Wrathchild.
    I'd love to see them play this live then segue into something completely out of left field, like Where Eagles Dare.
    I'll give it an eight, because that's what I'll be giving Wrathchild.

17. Jeffmetal

Jeffmetal Ancient Mariner

10! My fave intro to an album ever!!!

18. Black Thunder

Black Thunder Ancient Mariner

Great Instrumental. It's short, but that's good!

6/10.

19. Natalie

Natalie Insect of Terror Staff Member

Hardly noticeable. 4/10.

20. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

A great little piece of music that gets you pumped, and pumped, and pumped. I think this works as an intro to just about anything. 9/10.