The Hip-Hop Thread

Lately I couldn't get enough of this one.

I mean, you should realise that they got 5 quite big rappers (at the time) at their zenith to do a "second tier" song (it certainly didn't get as much buzz as that R. Kelly ballad or the title song) for a movie about Looney Tunes and basketball. That's no mean feat, indeed.

The way they do it is immaculate. Just look at Method Man and his lead-in - "Insane like a runaway train I'm in your lane // Like it's only 3 seconds to score to win the game". They all really do their best, there's no second wasted.

It's also very cool how they seem to "hide" Busta throughout the whole song only to unleash him in the end. Kinda reminds me of the use of Sticky Fingaz on the old Onyx records. He's really a wonder to behold - at times he looks he's gonna eat the camera or something :D

I can even forgive that "28 light years old" blunder from LL, seeing as he makes up for it with arguably the best verse in his whole career (same goes for Coolio - man, his flow here is spectacular, I could listen to it for hours).

The only possible fault I see is that B Real's verse is somewhat short. But he makes up for it by being that prominent in the bridge.

Need to hear/watch, really. 6/5 material, easily. Not bad for a "villain song" in a kids half-cartoon movie. (still below Be Prepared, but that's a given :D )

I've been into this for the longest time. I found it when I looked for Dead Can Dance samples in other stuff and I kinda like what they did with it. It seems like something that was chosen very purposefully. But I also like the song as a whole, it just has a particular energy. I'm not used to that sort of 'scatterbrained' lyric type, it's strange but I think it sounds great.

Years ago I had this friend who played some rap or hip-hop artist for me. It had a real orchestra, I think a brass orchestra but not 100% sure. I also think the artist died. Anyone know who I'm talking about? I can't ask that friend because he's an idiot.

Back