The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 13-18

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
The Liz (do people call them that?)
Symphony X (no-brainer)
Evanescence (lesser of two evils)
The ‘Thrax (people definitely don’t call them that)
Soundgarden
Mastodon (easy vote)

It’s impossible for me to vote against Symphony X, unless the opponent is also Symphony X. I adore Dio, but he’s got nothing on the greatest metal band of all time.

The Czar might be my favorite Mastodon song of all time, from my favorite album of theirs. Sadly none of their other albums, while decent in their own right, can touch Crack the Skye. Perfect blend of prog and dirty dissonant blues and southern charm.

Best song of the entire round: Fallen (duh)
Runners up: Heaven & Hell, The Czar

UFO - Love to Love vs. Thin Lizzy - Roisin Dubh (Black Rose) A Rock Legend
Love to Love is a great track, brilliant build up intro, soulful vocals, and Schenker master class, but it's not as good as Roisin Dubh Roisin Dubh (Black Rose) A Rock Legend

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell vs. Symphony X - Fallen

I gave Symphony X about half a listen this time, feelings were a bit similar to my original thoughts "Symphony X, is pretty decent, like a more interesting version of DT and with a real good singer, but I like a bit of rawness and groove in my metal." but I'd heard enough to know it wasn't in the league of Heaven and Hell, to be honest I was doing it a courtesy even pushing play, Heaven and Hell is probably a contender to win this thing, it's certainly the best Dio era Sabbath track. Heaven and Hell

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger vs. Evanescence - My Immortal

I re-read my original post on Evanescence "Evanescence, this is like Heart for the MySpace generation, not bad for what it is, but not something I'd be in danger of playing of my own freewill." Darkthrone was so quiet, plus the grooveless drumming wasn't to my tastes, but there was some decent chord progressions there Transilvanian Hunger

Anthrax - Caught in a Mosh vs. AC/DC - Sin City

Caught in a Mosh is great, but the lyrics have always bugged me, what the fuck has a mosh got to do with the rest of the lyrics? Sin City the far better track Sin City

Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose vs. Arcturus - The Throne of Tragedy

Both of these tracks were listenable but wouldn't be anything I'd actively seek out, Cornell's voice the best thing about either track so takes the win Jesus Christ Pose

Mastodon - The Czar vs. Death - 1000 Eyes

Mastodon was pretty decent, good vibe at the start, when it kicked in it was a bit jammy but still good, shades of early Sabbath in both the jammy-ness and some of the vocals had a hint of Ozzy. This is what I thought about Death first time "Death track is pretty good, probably on the threshold of something I'd listen to, not a million miles away from Kreator for example, certainly more in my ball park than other tracks that I'm aware of like Pull the Plug. Only major gripe is on occassion the overboard double bass steals focus" I'm surprising myself with how consistent my second opinion is on all these tracks. Both these tracks fall under the "close but no cigar" category in terms of whether I'd be interested in checking out more of them, and it's a hard decision to pick one, but I'll go with Death as I've seen Mastodon live a couple of times and they were a bit shite both times. 1000 Eyes

I might be in the minority here but I go for Symphony X's Fallen instead of Heaven And Hell. The later has more focus on atmosphere than riffing (which Sabbath is famous for) even though having nice vocals and solo section. Symphony X is a complete package here.

Would have voted for Evanescence had there been an actual Metal song of theirs instead of a power ballad. So by default Transylvanian Hunger (not much into Black Metal).

I see why Mastodon is highly appreciated. They are indeed very good at their craft but 1000 Eyes is my favourite from Death's best record (imo). Plus Chuck's Orwellian lyrics are awesome.

Arcturus is an interesting band but Soundgarden is out there with a really unique song Jesus Christ Pose.

I find Thin Lizzy's Black Rose, a better song overall. I wonder if Rock Bottom by UFO is present in the tournament because its my fav by them.

Sin City may not be the strongest ever song AC/DC has in their kitty. So Caught In A Mosh. Just fun lyrics, nothing thought-pondering but a really good song overall.

Time is running out, so just a quick one:

Thin Lizzy. UFO's song is really good, but doesn't reach the same highs as Lizzy.

Black Sabbath. There might be a time later on in the game where I'll vote for a Symphony X tune over a Sabbath one, but not "Fallen" over "Heaven and Hell", man.

Darkthrone. The current result is unfortunately not surprising, but no fucking way am I gonna vote for some Amy Lee shit over Darkthrone.

Anthrax. It's weird how Joey Belladonna can sound both great and pretty awful in the same song, but "Caught in a Mosh" is a solid track, while AC/DC never really grabs my attention.

Arcturus. I don't think I'm ever gonna get Soundgarden. I felt this was more "noisy" than Darkthrone, honestly, and I was bored all the way through. Arcturus is just a lot more interesting to me.

Mastodon. I love Death, but "1000 Eyes" has got nothing on one of Mastodon's very best songs (and my own nominee). The slow buildup, when the heavy riff first comes in, is just amazing.

Some pretty tough choices this time, I love Caught in a Mosh but I feel like Sin City is the AC/DC song I enjoy the most.

@Night Prowler twice you voted for the wrong band in the tie kick off, I implore you to correct those particular wrongs now and pick Mastodon. I won't be up when this round is over (have to really watch my sleep for health reasons), so I'm putting my trust in you.

UFO vs Thin Lizzy is pretty brutal. What it comes down for to me is that Love to Love, like most of UFO's catalog, really comes to life live but the songwriting itself is nothing special. Black Rose is melodically among Lizzy's finest work that also comes to life live but the seed of a great song is more present.

Tossing a pity vote to Fallen. Great track, one of my fav classic Symphony X songs, but Heaven and Hell is a juggernaut. Would not be surprised if it runs away with the whole game.

Darkthrone over Evanescence, come on people.

I have to vote for my namesake, and the ACDC song isn't very good.

I admit to feeling a tinge of guilt for breaking a tie in favor of Mastodon. There are better Death tracks in this game fortunately, while The Czar is probably a top 5 Mastodon track. Seeing it live in 2022 was one of the highlights for a band I've now seen about 4 or 5 times!

UFO vs Thin Lizzy is pretty brutal. What it comes down for to me is that Love to Love, like most of UFO's catalog, really comes to life live but the songwriting itself is nothing special. Black Rose is melodically among Lizzy's finest work that also comes to life live but the seed of a great song is more present.

Tossing a pity vote to Fallen. Great track, one of my fav classic Symphony X songs

I admit to feeling a tinge of guilt for breaking a tie in favor of Mastodon. There are better Death tracks in this game fortunately, while The Czar is probably a top 5 Mastodon track. Seeing it live in 2022 was one of the highlights for a band I've now seen about 4 or 5 times!

giphy.gif

Tossing a pity vote to Fallen. Great track, one of my fav classic Symphony X songs, but Heaven and Hell is a juggernaut. Would not be surprised if it runs away with the whole game.

Darkthrone over Evanescence, come on people.

^That's five out of six votes explained.
I understand you are thoroughly embarrassed - and rightly so - about not voting for the Arcturus song. Denial stage, I suppose.
Also, please note that Jer, Bane of Extreme Vocals voted for Arcturus and Death, and you and Sleepy Judas did not.
Tough, innit.
:ninja:

UFO over Thin Lizzy based entirely on guitar sound.
Black Sabbath of course, literally my favourite non-Maiden song.
Transilvanian Hunger is an absolute beast, a true classic that rewards the patient listener who sorts through the noise. My Immortal is bad.
I am Caught in a @Mosh.
Soundgarden, lol. Arcturus.
Death, definitely. The Czar is way better than I mentally expect from Mastodon but 1000 Eyes whips.

^That's five out of six votes explained.
I understand you are thoroughly embarrassed - and rightly so - about not voting for the Arcturus song. Denial stage, I suppose.
Also, please note that Jer, Bane of Extreme Vocals voted for Arcturus and Death, and you and Sleepy Judas did not.
Tough, innit.
:ninja:
*Mosh has exited the hall.

Thin Lizzy wants you to love to love Black Rose. Symphony X has fallen into the latter part of Black Sabbath's two options. Transilvanian hunger does indeed seem to be about Evanescence's immortal. All of sin city is caught in Anthrax's mosh. Soundgarden mounted the throne of tragedy and took a Jesus Christ pose. And Death and Mastodon have battled to a tie, and I'm not sure how to make a silly remark on that. First tie, though.

Part II, Round 1, Matches 19-24

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 19
Kevin Shirley Division​
Mercyful Fate - Evil
vs.
Tool - The Pot​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
Nominators
Best Music Art 100​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 20
Wildest Dreams Division​
Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls
vs.
Rammstein - Feuer Frei​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Best Music Art 100
@LooseCannon, @KiDDo
Nominators
Youtube 50​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 21
Empire of the Clouds Division​
Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
vs.
Kampfar - Rekviem​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, Best Music Art 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 22
A Real Dead One Division​
Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers
vs.
Megadeth - Wake Up Dead​
Popoff 500
@srfc, @Kalata, @Poto
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 23
The Book of Souls Division​
Megadeth - Peace Sells
vs.
Megadeth - My Last Words​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, VH1 40, Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 24
Be Quick or Be Dead Division​
Korn - Freak on a Leash
vs.
Ensiferum - Treacherous Gods​
Radio EHS 100, VH1 40, Youtube 50
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Thin Lizzy wants you to love to love Black Rose. Symphony X has fallen into the latter part of Black Sabbath's two options. Transilvanian hunger does indeed seem to be about Evanescence's immortal. All of sin city is caught in Anthrax's mosh. Soundgarden mounted the throne of tragedy and took a Jesus Christ pose. And Death and Mastodon have battled to a tie, and I'm not sure how to make a silly remark on that. First tie, though.

How we can see the scores in the group stage?

Back