The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 88-93

What is your favourite song in each match?

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Nothing says “Happy Easter” like a Symphony X win!

I’m going to touch on The Divine Wings of Tragedy, as it’s the only song in this round that I even remotely care about. It may very well be my favorite song of all time - and if not, definitely top three. My dream in terms of this game would be seeing Divine Wings face The Odyssey in the World Series (or whatever you’d call it), but I know that won’t happen due to some of the rabid anti-proggites around here.

This song is perfect. From the multi-Russelled intro to the Holst Mars syncopation to the beautiful groovy verses to the scorching solos to the jazzy six-minute interlude (this is where the song probably loses some listeners) to the wistful 11/8 almost-outro to that magnificent final verse with soulful Russ, this song is simply divine.

The Conjuring is an early Megadeth classic with sick riffage, but it’s quite outmatched here.

My only problem with Divine Wings is I think it leans too heavily into the instrumental sections. One less guitar/keys dual and one more vocal section and it would be perfect (I think Odyssey achieved this balance better). The vocal sections that are there are some of my favorites that the band created. Not to take away from the instrumental sections themselves though as most of them are quite good.

My only problem with Divine Wings is I think it leans too heavily into the instrumental sections. One less guitar/keys dual and one more vocal section and it would be perfect (I think Odyssey achieved this balance better). The vocal sections that are there are some of my favorites that the band created. Not to take away from the instrumental sections themselves though as most of them are quite good.
I can agree that the song does lose me sometimes during the solo duels, but the big instrumental sections in general (part two and six-minute sixth part) are spectacular. While Divine Wings holds a special place in my heart, I do think The Odyssey has it beat in terms of pure songwriting and arrangement.

I guess global warming is somewhere far beyond Blind Guardian's comprehension. Look, Doro, I like you, but Angra's got nothing to say to you. Megadeth can't conjure up a win over Symphony X. It was tight, but Monster Magnet's powertrip was successful. Ozzy Osbourne knows that after forever, you can't bark at the moon. And, finally, Black Sabbath has figured out that if you let the storm descend upon you, you're just killing yourself (to live? how does that work).

Part II, Round 2, Matches 22-27

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 22
A Real Dead One Division​
Fates Warning - The Ivory Gate of Dreams
vs.
W.A.S.P. - The Idol​
Popoff 500
@Black Bart
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 23
The Book of Souls Division​
Black Sabbath - Falling Off the Edge of the World
vs.
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again​
Popoff 500
@Kalata
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 24
Be Quick or Be Dead Division​
At the Gates - Blinded By Fear
vs.
Avantasia - The Seven Angels​
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 25
Andy Taylor Division​
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
vs.
Symphony X - Through the Looking Glass​
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 26
Nicko McBrain Division​
AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie
vs.
Machine Head - Davidian​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 27
Paschendale Division​
Metallica - All Nightmare Long
vs.
HammerFall - Templars of Steel​
@KidInTheDark666, @Stardust
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Fates Warning - The Ivory Gate of Dreams vs W.A.S.P. - The Idol. For one second I thought Ivory Gates was my selection. Great choice @Black Bart, one of Warning's finest. I'm a huge fan of The Idol too, song and album but Ivory Gates is just another league.
@LooseCannon checked again, Ivory Gates is my nomination too.
Black Sabbath - Falling Off the Edge of the World vs The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again. Great choice @Kalata. Won't Get Fooled Again is not metal, thus not much to think.
At the Gates - Blinded By Fear vs Avantasia - The Seven Angels. I don't like the type of metal Avantasia represents, thus At The Gates as the lesser evil.
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance vs Symphony X - Through the Looking Glass This is a huge tune @Shmoolikipod, thanks for the discovery.
AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie vs Machine Head - Davidian. Rosie is better song but not metal, thus Machine Head wins.
Metallica - All Nightmare Long vs HammerFall - Templars of Steel. Uneven fight, Metallica's tune is better by miles.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never fully listened to No Exit and had no idea it featured a 20+ minute epic. The song is a bit of a mess, but I like a lot of the parts and Ray Alder is a massive improvement from John Arch (when he’s not trying to do a Tate impression). The Idol immediately loses points due to the voice acting. Overall, it’s a fine song, but incredibly repetitive. I was bored about halfway through, which I cannot say about Fates Warning.

I love The Who, and Don’t Get Fooled Again is an absolute classic (rock), but there is not a single second of it that I prefer over Falling Off the Edge of the World. Black Sabbath constructed one of their most powerful, epic songs here and it’s only five minutes long! Dio is in prime form and the composition is pure class. Easy, easy vote for Dio Sabbath.

Blinded By Fear doesn’t interest me at all and I greatly dislike the vocals. As with all Avantasia, The Seven Angels is horribly overwrought, pompous and silly - but it still takes this match pretty handily.

Screaming For Vengeance is absolute aces. I love the chorus, the riffs, the solos, it’s all great fun. I think Rob’s full-on high voice gets a bit much during the verses, but otherwise, love it. For a quick second, despite my love for Symphony X, I thought Judas Priest had this match in the bag…and then the opening bass groove of Through The Looking Glass started and everything changed. It’s just such a beautiful, emotional and catchy song that somehow never overstays its welcome or feels bloated despite its length. I love the whole thing and consider it one of the band’s best songs. Is it FIST-PUMPING RAWRK METUHL!!!!11? No, but it’s so much grander. Symphony X must dream on!

AC/DC vs. Machine Head is a match that just doesn’t matter to me. On the one hand, Whole Lotta Rosie is fine classic rock that sounds exactly as you’d expect. On the other hand, Davidian is kinda numbskull and dumb bro nu-metal sounding. I guess I’ll vote for Rosie because I had more fun listening to it.

All Nightmare Long is a modern Metallica classic that is hampered by its bad production and some weak vocal takes for Hetfield. If this thing were in the hands of a proper producer, it would be perfection. I love the chorus, I love the dynamics, and there’s a ton of killer riffs on display. Templars of Steel is fine for cheese, but it melts quickly under the heat of Papa Het’s picking hand.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never fully listened to No Exit and had no idea it featured a 20+ minute epic. The song is a bit of a mess, but I like a lot of the parts and Ray Alder is a massive improvement from John Arch (when he’s not trying to do a Tate impression). The Idol immediately loses points due to the voice acting. Overall, it’s a fine song, but incredibly repetitive. I was bored about halfway through, which I cannot say about Fates Warning.

Alder is a fine singer though I like better John Arch, he puts more personality in his singing.
Also your view for The Idol is interesting, I don't find any flaws in the voice acting.

Fates Warning's Ivory Gate Of Dreams is very solid, very long(!) and with great parts (kudos for that, Helloween level), but WASP's The Idol is more for me. It's more memorable and the chorus and solos are classics! Every part of the song is just perfect. One of the best ballads in metal.
The Who's song is iconic, but Falling Off The Edge Of The World is one of the best metal songs for me. That's why I nominated it. That intro, that riff, those verses, that old school chorus - timeless. The whole sounds very epic, which is awesome.
Avantasia's The Seven Angels, by default. And it's the better song. It's very long, but the parts are good, interesting and with a lot of dynamics. The chorus is really cool.
Symphony X's song is nice, but I like Screaming For Vengeance much more. Classic Priest and metal. Vocals, melody, riffs and solos - all are raw power, we need it always!
Whole Lotta Rosie, no contest. One of the best rock songs of all time. That riff and solo!!! One of the greatest!
All Nightmare Long is certainly one of Metallica's very best songs with its fast and chaotic atmosphere, wild and super cool solos and memorable chorus. A true highlight of the album and has one of the band's best riffs (imo), but my nominee, Templars Of Steel is a pure example of catchiness (Metallica's song too, glad to see it nominated here, it's one of their gems), which is important for me and I love every part of it. I'd be happy with either song to win.

Fates Warning - The Ivory Gate of Dreams vs. W.A.S.P. - The Idol
I gave a fair amount of time to the Fates Warning track, some ok riffs, ok vocals. The Idol is the centrepiece of one of the best ever Metal albums. The Idol

Black Sabbath - Falling Off the Edge of the World vs. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

Tough one, both are great, going with my first instinct when I saw the match up Won't Get Fooled Again

At the Gates - Blinded By Fear vs. Avantasia - The Seven Angels

Blinded by Fear was solid enough, obviously a very influential sound since I have albums from the likes of Kreator and Blaze that clearly rip that sound off, and I'm sure there must be millions more too that aren't on my radar. I didn't get through more than the first bit of Avantasia before knowing my choice was made, but I've re-read my earlier review of it and I thought it was alright then. Blinded By Fear

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance vs. Symphony X - Through the Looking Glass

I couldn't face 13 mins of Symphony X in a tie where they are against a top tier track from one of my favourite bands. I read my last review and it was "Symphony X seems fairly competent but I have no interest in this type of metal." Screaming For Vengeance

AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie vs Machine Head - Davidian

Burn My Eyes came out just before I started losing interest in new developments in Metal. It was huge at the time, I saw them support Slayer, but to be honest haven't listened to it in years and can't remember anything other than Davidian and the other one with Jesus Wept in it. They didn't stand the test of time and bandwagon hopped almost instantly when nu-metal appeared. I like Davidian and that drummer is great but FFS, it's obviously not anywhere near Whole Lotta Rosie, Angus! clap clap clap Angus! clap clap clap Whole Lotta Rosie

Metallica - All Nightmare Long vs. HammerFall - Templars of Steel

I'm going to throw a charity vote for Hammerfall, Metallica have tons of shit that will feature far in this, All Nightmare Long is ok-ish as their new records go but I think that album is the weakest of them by a good bit. Power Metal is not my thing but I've a mate who's into Hammerfall so I'm familiar enough with them, and although they are as someone described in the GMAC "painfully uncool", if that was the yardstick in Metal there would be very few bands you could vote for! Templars of Steel

"The Ivory Gate Of Dreams" has a very pretty acoustic intro, then moves into more sinister riffage, along with nearly 22 more minutes of different proggy convolutions. It's interesting to hear Ray Alder this young and sometimes trying to ape Michael Kiske and/or Geoff Tate -- I have to say that I prefer his more worn-in voice from later in his career. There are lots of great guitar parts here, and lots of swings from gentle to driving sections, but I'm not sure the track really holds together as a coherent song with a clear through line. "The Idol" has some unfortunate dinner theater in the opening, but what follows is a thoughtful ballad with some nice vocal melodies and great solos. It feels like the song never quite fully takes flight or hits its full potential, but what's here is still very good. Hmm, the Fates Warning song has more interesting music, but the W.A.S.P. song is more memorable and holds together better. Sorry, @Black Bart, but I have to go with the list nominee here. Winner: W.A.S.P. - "The Idol"

"Falling Off The Edge Of The World" has an awkward-feeling opening that moves through a big, doomy groove before settling into an overly busy verse riff. The vocal melodies don't really grab me here, but the guitar solo is pretty dope. I don't know, it's...fine. "Won't Get Fooled Again" got overplayed during the CSI: Miami years, but there's so much to like here, from the atmospheric synth intro through the memorable vocal lines, nice bass and drum fills, and sweet extended instrumentals, with that iconic scream that brings things back at the end. Good memories of trying (and failing) to play some of the drum parts on the higher difficulties on Rock Band, too. Sorry, @Kalata, but this is an easy call for @The Sentient's nominee. Winner: The Who - "Won't Get Fooled Again"

"Blinded By Fear" has a bunch of industrial noise, then blasts into a load of cut-time drumming and Gollum vocals with otherwise pretty decent guitar bits. The interlude with the clean guitar accents is especially nice, though it sounds a little out of tune. Can't really get on board with this overall, though. "The Seven Angels" starts with nice atmosphere and builds to some good hooks, even if it's all a little more Broadway than I'd prefer. Still not a fan of the quirks of Sammet's voice, and the guest singers are a mixed bag, but the song has a unique voice and is generally more up my alley, even if it runs a bit too long. A pretty easy call for @Poto's nominee here. Winner: Avantasia - "The Seven Angels"

"Screaming For Vengeance" is a relentless shot of guitar-driven energy. The verse vocal isn't the most compelling, but the pre-chorus and chorus are great, as are the screams on the lyric "screaming"! The solos are also strong, and the harmonized section is awesome. Great stuff. "Through The Looking Glass" is gratuitously proggy and certainly wins on the musical complexity front. It also has a number of really nice musical passages and solos, though half the time it feels a bit performative and soulless. I could see either of these tracks legitimately winning, but sorry @Shmoolikipod, I think the list nominee is more viscerally enjoyable to me. Winner: Judas Priest - "Screaming For Vengeance"

"Whole Lotta Rosie" is a stone cold classic for good reason. That iconic sparse riff ("Angus! Angus!") that fills itself out later on, the strong verse and pre-chorus vocal lines, and the sweet and simple little chord progression that drives the chorus. Strong solos, great energy, great song. "Davidian" sure is downtuned and screamy. The vocals are vaguely melodic, but not really in tune. The solos are almost interesting, but don't get a chance to go anywhere. I don't know, I think I feel actively dumber after listening to this. The easiest of calls for AC/DC here. Winner: AC/DC - "Whole Lotta Rosie"

"All Nightmare Long" has a pretty cool bass-driven intro, though I'm less keen on the rhythmic diddling that follows, and the verses and pre-choruses are kind of a train wreck. The chorus is catchy, though the pun in the title is pretty stupid. The solos are uneven, but have their moments, and the interlude with the harmonized riffage is nice. The bridge is meh, but the long pause and breath before cutting back into the chorus is cool. It's funny, this is probably the second worst song on Death Magnetic, IMO, so it's weird to see it double-nominated. (And wow, that mastering is so fucking bad -- have they released an official version of this with unfucked mastering yet, or are the Guitar Hero: Metallica remixes the only way to get close?) "Templars Of Steel" has a suitably epic opening, and the vocal melodies are OK, but there's something about the singer that feels...off somehow, and doesn't really sit right with me. Maybe there's a subtle accent that's coming out in a weird way or something. Whatever's going on, the band isn't really selling the song to me -- this just feels like passable Manowar worship, I suppose. Not bad, but not particularly unique or special. Oof, not really a fan of either track here. As dirty as it makes me feel for supporting completely derivative cheese, I have to say sorry, SkidInTheDurst333, but @Kalata's nominee was a little bit less offensive to my eardrums. Winner: Hammerfall - "Templars Of Steel"

Super easy votes for Fates Warning, Dio Sabbath, Avantasia, and Metallica here. Regarding Falling off the Edge of the World, it's one of my favorite Dio songs. While I love Won't Get Fooled Again simply due to how hilarious it is on CSI Miami, it pales in comparison to Dio.

I don't care about the fifth match, but I went with AC/DC because despite being generic, it lacks the annoying tuf guyness of Machine Head's effort.

I'm absolutely shocked at the lack of support for a top-tier Symphony X song due to a quite mediocre Priest track that isn't even on Painkiller. Halford is obnoxious in this song, and the music doesn't hold a candle to Romeo and the boys. Through the Looking Glass is a masterpiece. So much emotion in Russell's voice!

Not super into Fates Warning (just like some songs here and there) but I loved "The Ivory Gate Of Dreams"! Totally utilizes it's length with nice changes, riffs and ofcourse vocals.

AC/DC is among my favourites but I can't believe "Davidian" getting so less number of votes! The chorus riff is one of my favourites and the breakdown is also awesome.
LET FREEDOM RING WITH A SHOTGUN BLAST! :edmetal:

I'm absolutely shocked at the lack of support for a top-tier Symphony X song due to a quite mediocre Priest track that isn't even on Painkiller.
“Looking Glass” is the least good classic Symphony X epic (give or take “Awakenings”). “Screaming for Vengeance” is an absolute heavy metal gauntlet tune, pumping and pummeling with some of Rob’s best vocals. Also both Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith kick ass and are better albums than Painkiller.

Back