The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 88-93

What is your favourite song in each match?

• Foo Fighters - The Pretender

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ----------------------------

• Accept - Princess of the Dawn

• Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I'm absolutely shocked at the lack of support for a top-tier Symphony X song due to a quite mediocre Priest track that isn't even on Painkiller. Halford is obnoxious in this song, and the music doesn't hold a candle to Romeo and the boys. Through the Looking Glass is a masterpiece. So much emotion in Russell's voice!
SFV is one of Priest's most popular albums. The classic and straightforward metal of Priest vs more complex stuff. I agree about Rob's vocals for the chorus (the other vocalist is good, but Rob is Rob), but the music is pure class. From both, it's just different. And for me, Priest's song is more exciting (but not because it is much shorter and faster).

Last edited:
I really found myself enjoying The Ivory Gate of Dreams. It's a little bloated and silly, but so is The Idol, which is also very good.

Black Sabbath, lol, what are we doing here?

Avantasia is one of those bands that, on the surface, I should like, but when I listen to them I rarely do. So definitely a vote for the song I think gets the job done.

Sympathy vote for Symphony X.

Same for Machine Head.

All Nightmare Long is a long ass nightmare. At least HammerFall knows what they are - terrible - and makes no pretentions otherwise.

“Looking Glass” is the least good classic Symphony X epic (give or take “Awakenings”). “Screaming for Vengeance” is an absolute heavy metal gauntlet tune, pumping and pummeling with some of Rob’s best vocals. Also both Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith kick ass and are better albums than Painkiller.
I will give you credit for saying “least good,” but I’d argue that the least good classic epic is A Lesson Before Dying (not that it’s a bad tune, but it lacks Russ).

@MrKnickerbocker and I were lucky enough to see Symphony X play Through the Looking Glass on their second leg of the Paradise Lost tour in 2008, and it was sublime. The band sadly lacks a lot of that magic with their newer stuff.

I’ll give Screaming for Vengeance another listen, but it really didn’t capture me the way that some of Priest’s other stuff does (see Painkiller). The music was fine, but against Symphony X? No way bruh. Vocally there’s also no comparison. One is a twisting mysterious journey while the other is a straightforward rock song. There’s zero comparison in my book.

I will give you credit for saying “least good,” but I’d argue that the least good classic epic is A Lesson Before Dying (not that it’s a bad tune, but it lacks Russ).
By “classic” I was thinking of Divine Wings through Odyssey, but yeah “Lesson” is definitely the weakest otherwise. I like “Looking Glass”, but it doesn’t really grip me the way their best stuff does. I think that of most of Twilight in Olympus though.

If you want to find W.A.S.P., you gotta go through the ivory gate of dreams. The Who got fooled into falling off the edge of the world by Black Sabbath. The Seven Angels are blinded by fear as we have a tie! Judas Priest went screaming through the looking glass on their way to vengeance. Looks like AC/DC gave Machine Head a whole lotta Rosie, whatever that means. And HammerFall's templars are having long ass nightmares thanks to Metallica.

Part II, Round 2, Matches 28-33

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 28
Lord of the Flies Division​
Slayer - Hell Awaits
vs.
Gamma Ray - Valley of the Kings​
Popoff 500
@DJ James, @srfc
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 29
Melvyn Grant Division​
Thin Lizzy - Emerald
vs.
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction​
Popoff 500
@srfc
Nominators
Rolling Stone 100​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 30
Tony Moore Division​
Bathory - One Rode to Asa Bay
vs.
Disturbed - Down With the Sickness​
@Magnus, @Confeos
Nominators
Youtube 50
@KiDDo
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 31
The Evil That Men Do Division​
Def Leppard - Photograph
vs.
Children of Bodom - Needled 24/7​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 32
Dream of Mirrors Division​
Testament - Over the Wall
vs.
Stone Temple Pilots - Plush​
DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 33
Dennis Wilcock Division​
Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock
vs.
Black Sabbath - Computer God​
Popoff 500, VH1 40
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Last edited:
By “classic” I was thinking of Divine Wings through Odyssey, but yeah “Lesson” is definitely the weakest otherwise. I like “Looking Glass”, but it doesn’t really grip me the way their best stuff does. I think that of most of Twilight in Olympus though.
Well, Twilight was rushed. The band had planned on including a massive title track (like on Divine Wings), but ran out of time. The music they had written was split up and used all over V; rumor has it that much of it became Rediscovery.

“It’s only just begun” is one of the greatest moments in heavy metal and also probably one of Bathory’s best moments. One Rode to Asa Bay just missed my list, but a couple of years ago I wore out Hammerheart, awesome stuff even though I now prefer the first two Bathory albums to everything else they’ve done.

EDIT: I use “they’ve” loosely.

Gamma Ray's Valley Of The Kings, no contest for me. One of my favorite power metal songs. The instrumental section is Maiden-esque.
Emerald, it's more fun. As a Maiden fan, I can't be allowed not to appreciate this song. Great solos. Both songs have great riffs and melodies.
Def Leppard's Photograph, easy. I prefer and like glam metal. Their first albums are class.
The music of this Testament song is very good.
Twisted Sister's I Wanna Rock is a classic anthem, but I really like the chorus, calm part, solos and the overall atmosphere of Computer God. One of the best songs from its album.

Slayer - Hell Awaits vs. Gamma Ray - Valley of the Kings
Hell Awaits has the best build up intro in Metal, with bonus points for evil messages, plus relentless brutality when it kicks in. Gamma Ray wasn't my cup of tea Hell Awaits

Thin Lizzy - Emerald vs. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

Emerald is the best Irish music track there has ever been, classic riff instead of a chorus, faux historical lyric matter, one of the all time best harmonies plus brilliant back and forth solo section before Robbo runs amok. Countdown is great too, one of the best ever riffs. Emerald

Bathory - One Rode to Asa Bay vs. Disturbed - Down With the Sickness

Loved the vibe of Bathory but felt I would enjoy it more if I could hear the lyrics. Down With the Sickness is novelty stuff. One Rode to Asa Bay

Def Leppard - Photograph vs. Children of Bodom - Needled 24/7

Photograph is a great metal pop single. Didn't listen to Bodom again but I thought this first time "Children of Bodom is alright but a few shit parts with the keys. The solo is nice." and voted against them then too Photograph

Testament - Over the Wall vs. Stone Temple Pilots - Plush

Plush was ok enough, had to push play to hear what song it was as all those Grunge bands gave their songs names that weren't anything to do with the chorus. Over the Wall smashes it, with a Skolnick masterclass Over the Wall

Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock vs. Black Sabbath - Computer God

Computer God is a great track from a great album, and I don't want to vote against it but I Wanna Rock is just stupid, good fun I Wanna Rock

That's a re-recording of Over the Wall, not sure what the quality of this one is like as I haven't listened to it but it looks like the original album version

Missed a couple of rounds, but there's tons of good stuff in this one, so I figured it was a perfect time to get back at it.

Gamma Ray. I love "Valley of the Kings", one of my favourite tunes from the Rays. "Hell Awaits" has a great build-up and is full of good riffs, so it was a close one, but gotta go with the Germans.

Thin Lizzy. Again, very close - "Countdown to Extinction" is a great piece with a brilliant bassline and a memorable chorus, but "Emerald" is just a perfect end to a perfect album. The harmonized, Celtic melody before the solos is fantastic.

Bathory. I guess I enjoy "Down With the Sickness" for what it is (plain, dumb fun), but "One Rode to Asa Bay" defines an entire music genre for me. The scope, mood and atmosphere is just so epic - it's nothing short of a masterpiece.

Children of Bodom. Easiest vote this round; I think I'll quote myself by saying that "Needled 24/7" is Alexi Laiho at his very shreddin' best. I found nothing memorable about "Photograph", except for maybe the horrible drum sound.

Testament. Chuck Billy is awesome. "Plush" bores me.

Black Sabbath. I have a soft spot for Twisted Sister, I'll admit that, but "Computer God" is amazingly dark and heavy (the same can be said in general about Dehumanizer, brilliant album).

Hell Awaits is not particularly my thing. Valley of the Kings is one of the better songs on SOIS

Emerald is pretty great with its solos. Don't see anything particularly great in Countdown to Extinction. It's solid with a cool melodic riff, but you don't see The Edge of Darkness on any "best of all time" list.

One Rode to Asa Bay has great atmosphere and vocals, I just enjoy Down With the Sickness more.

I've been playing Needled 24/7 every now and then since GMAC, super fun song, not sure Photograph will reach that status.

I guess Over the Wall, not big on either song here.

Easy vote for Computer God cuz I Wanna Rock sucks.

Hell truly awaits anyone who sits through this fucking song. A one minute sound effects intro, a two minute instrumental intro, and then three minutes of shitty Slayer (or I guess, shittier Slayer, as most Slayer is shitty)...no thanks. Valley of The Kings is literally dripping cheese all over my shoes and I don’t think I like that very much, but it’s certainly superior to Slayer shitting on my shoes.

Emerald is another in a long line of kickass Thin Lizzy songs with killer guitar playing, solid melodies, and more swagger than a boatload of drunken sailers. It’s great from start to finish. Countdown To Extinction, however, is one of the most unique metal songs I’ve ever heard. There is a certain feeling in the song’s atmosphere that I can confidently say I’ve never heard in another song. From the powerful opening to Ellefson’s incessant thumping bass to Dave’s patented snarl…it all exists within a perfectly haunting tonality that couldn’t be more fitting for the theme. The chorus melody is infectious and the guitar underneath is insanely catchy, and that almost neo-classical tail at the end of the chorus is sublime. The solos and guitarmonies are perfect, too. Absolute easy win for Megadeth, despite a strong Lizzy offering.

One Rode to ASA Bay vs. Down With The Sickness is a wild match up of opposites, except that both pretty much hammer you with the same idea for the duration. Bathory exude atmosphere and anger here, while Disturbed bank on good production and wacky vocals. I don’t love either of them and both are fine within their respective subgenres. One of these songs, however, features a cringeworthy dramatic reenactment of a child yelling at their abusive mommy and one of them is Bathory.

Needled 24/7 has music that I far prefer, but Photograph is a better product. Children of Bodom have some of the most annoying harsh vocals in the business. Also minus points for childish cursing.

Over The Wall is a thrash classic. It’s like listening to Slayer if Slayer were technically proficient musicians and knew how to use melody in their riffs. Yeah, it’s pretty one-note thrash, so but is most classic thrash. Plush is a decent little alternative rock song, but nah, no way. Testament all the way.

Same goes for the final match, featuring a cute little boom-bap rock song about rocking vs. an absolute behemoth of evil riffing about machines taking over humanity. Computer God is such a dark song, arguably darker than anything Sabbath did prior. Dio is absolutely chewing on the microphone, Iommi’s staccato riffing is great as always and Geezer fills in exactly where he should. I love the way the verse continues to let the floor drop out underneath the riffing, Geezer and Iommi trading those little trailing fills at the ends of some lines, the beautiful and melancholic vocal bridge, the half verse before the guitar solo, and the uptempo final third - just really cool compositional choices all around. Black Sabbath with another easy win.

"Hell Awaits" noodles and diddles with backward speech on a slow fade-in, then settles into a solid groove with some nice riff variations. The tempo kicks up for the verse, but the vocals are really messy rhythmically, and only sort of melodic-adjacent. The pre-chorus is a bit better, but the "chorus" is lame. Terrible solos, as expected. Pretty good rhythm guitar and drums, but the rest pretty much sucks -- so, typical Slayer. "Valley Of The Kings" is very good, verging on great. The vocal melodies are nice, Dirk is obviously having a good time after switching back to playing bass, and there are lots of nice little songwriting detours with great build-up and release. A couple of parts even have a vague disco feel to them, and even more bizarrely it seems to work. The synths aren't the best, but I've certainly heard worse. Kai's voice is a little rough in parts, and that falsetto can be a little painful; but there's so much to like about this song that it's hard to nitpick it too much. Sorry, DJ Srfeces, but this is a very easy call for @Black Bart's nominee. Winner: Gamma Ray - "Valley Of The Kings"

"Emerald" has a solid-enough verse, and the harmonized interlude and solos in the second half are very nice, but the rest of the track is pretty underwhelming to me. It's fine, I guess. "Countdown To Extinction" is an overrated song from an overrated album, but it's more polished and memorable than its competitor. Sorry @srfc, but I have to go with the list nominee here. Winner: Megadeth - "Countdown To Extinction"

“One Rode To Asa Bay” is raw and amateurish, and it’s a bit too repetitive and meandering, though it does have passionate vocals with a memorable melody. "Down With The Sickness" has an effectively creepy rhythmic opening. The "ooh, wah-ah-ah-ah" antics are ridiculous, but the vocal melodies are pretty strong. The bridge starts off pretty well, but gets really stupid when the vocals come in. Yeah, that one lost me by the end. Sorry, @KiDDo, but I have to go with Magneos's nominee this time. Winner: Bathory - "One Rode To Asa Bay"

When it comes to poppy hard rock, "Photograph" is dope on a rope. Great vocal lines that build nicely through the pre-chorus into a killer chorus, tasteful melodic solos, and more gratuitous cowbell than you can shake a stick at. "Needled 24/7" has good energy and enjoyable guitars. The synths run the gamut from cool, to cheesy, to retro orchestra hits that belong back in the 80s. The vocals are terrible, of course. The solos are pretty cool, with some nice rhythmic change-ups. When you think about it, this is really just an extra cheesy power metal track with black metal vocals on top, and it's reasonably good for what it is -- but sorry, @KiDDo, that's not enough to beat this monster of a list nominee. Winner: Def Leppard - "Photograph"

"Over The Wall" has a cool harmonized intro and great riffage in general. Chuck Billy is barely melodic and not always on the note, but he's still better than average for a thrash vocalist. I really like the melodic harmonized stuff going on under the first solo, and the next solo section is also pretty great. Really good stuff overall. "Plush" was overplayed to hell in its day, and I don't think it's a great song, but it's a very good one. Solid groove, nice hooks. I could probably go either way here, but sorry @Diesel 11, I think the list nominee's music is a lot more interesting. Winner: Testament - "Over The Wall"

"I Wanna Rock" is the other one of Twisted Sister's two good songs. It's simple and dumb, but the vocal lines are consistently strong and the verse vocals are rhythmically interesting. Pretty good solo, too. "Computer God" has cool riffs, and the verse melody is solid, but the pre-chorus and chorus are a bit of a mess, and the lyrics are pretty bad. I like the subdued bridge a lot, though, and the first solo is very good, even if it feels a bit disconnected from the rest of the song. Sorry, @KidInTheDark666, but I prefer the list nominee here. Winner: Twisted Sister - "I Wanna Rock"

Last edited:
Looks like hell awaits for Slayer after they fail to navigate Gamma Ray's valley of the kings. Megadeth has led a countdown to Thin Lizzy's extinction. Bathory rode to Asa Bay (whatever that is) while failing to come down with the sickness. Well, Children of Bodom aren't being captured by Def Leppard's photograph. Testament isn't plush. Ye computer gods have selected Black Sabbath over Twisted Sister!

Part II, Round 2, Matches 34-39

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 34
Paul Di'Anno Division​
Opeth - The Leper Affinity
vs.
Judas Priest - Metal Gods​
@Shmoolikipod, @JudasMyGuide
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 35
Michael Kenney Division​
Motörhead - (We Are) The Roadcrew
vs.
Blood Star - Going Home​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 36
Dave Lights Division​
Judas Priest - Heading Out To the Highway
vs.
Uriah Heep - Easy Livin'​
Popoff 500, Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Popoff 500
@Diesel 11
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 37
Death on the Road Division​
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
vs.
AC/DC - Shoot to Thrill​
Popoff 500, Rate Your Music 100
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 38
Dance of Death Division​
Rammstein - Du Hast
vs.
Rainbow - Tarot Woman​
Rolling Stone 100, Youtube 50
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 39
Sign of the Cross Division​
Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
vs.
The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Radio EHS 100​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Easy wins for Metal Gods (that groove), Tarot Woman (epic verses/vocals and melodies) and Blood Star's Going Home (old school metal done satisfying enough).

I really like Priest's Heading Out To The Highway, but Heep's Easy Living is just so captivating.
Ride The Lightning is classic Metallica, full of awesome riffs, solo(!), melody, intro, playing, and while Shoot To Thrill is more fun and catchy, I'll go with the textbook thrash metal.

Back