The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 76-81

What is your favourite song in each match?

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Voting for Tool, because they have an actual vocalist and don't fellate "SAYYYTAAAAN" like fourteen-year olds.

I can't take Rammstein as anything else but a joke band nowadays, honestly, but Feuer Frei is a really cool song and I'm almost inclined to throw it the pity vote... but then again, Bell, overplayed and overrated as it slightly is, is a deserved classic anyway and I'm going to be honest.

Voting for Kampfar over run-of-the-mill Priest, also members over lists.

Going with Megadeth, especially because my slight anti-Dio bias that has flared up again as a result of this cup.

Peace Sells is a cool, catchy track, perfect for the radio. However, My Last Words is much more about scratching the metal itch as such - especially the solo section and the ending is just pure old-school Megadeth and I still love it after all these years (I actually used to have this song as a ringtone, many years ago)

Ensiferum, lol.

Metallica "bang bang"s Rammstein with the mammoth For Whom The Bell Tolls. Bad boys Judas Priest breaking the law by Living After Midnight and makes Kampfar to "camp far" from the round. Dave says "Hello me, meet the real me" as the round has both of his songs and My Last Words say a tout le monde to Peace Sells. Dio says don't talk to strangers but forgets about the other lover Diana and gets Wake Up Dead. Treacherous Gods make KoRn feel like "something's taken away from me". Mercyful Fate's Evil was born at the cemetery but gets smoked by The Pot under the sign of moon.

Am I doing it right @LooseCannon ?

For Whom The Bell Tolls has one of the best driving riffs. No guitar solo, unfortunately.
Living After Midnight is still a classic riff, beat and singalong song. Great short solo.
Megadeth's song has cool guitar work, but Don't Talk To Strangers is one of the very classic metal songs. That's why I nominated it. No contest here. Intro(beautiful), riff, vocals, solo(that solo!), drumming. The simple chorus works.
All of the Megadeth songs this round have cool guitar work. That's all I can say.

"Evil" has solid riffs with some nice harmonized bits. The vocal lines on the verse are good, but the ones on the pre-chorus and chorus aren't. The bridges are OK. Solos range from pretty good to great, and the extended instrumental toward the end gets two thumbs up. A mixed bag, but pretty good overall. While "The Pot" goes into the "music I appreciate more than I enjoy" bucket, it does have some very nice rhythmic interplay that offsets the less compelling vocal lines, and I think it's a bit stronger overall. Winner: Tool - "The Pot"

"For Whom The Bell Tolls" is a stone cold classic from the jump, with the tolling bells and that iconic descending bass line. The song is epic as hell, the vocal lines and guitar leads are great, and there really isn't much negative to say here. Musically, "Feuer Frei!" is a pretty appealing blend of metal riffage and techno sounds. The vocalist has a sinister sound, but he doesn't really sing or scream -- he's just speaking really intensely, which is kind of odd. The lyrics are pretty repetitive, but I like the subdued bridge. Still, this is a very easy call for LooseKiDDo's nominee. Winner: Metallica - "For Whom The Bell Tolls"

"Living After Midnight" is very simple but very catchy. Great vocal lines, strong but simple solo. Metal comfort food, really. "Rekviem" feels like an aural onslaught, with annoying vocals and lots of crappy cut-time drumming, though it does have very occasional bursts of vocal melody and harmony, and there are some nice head-bobbing driving rhythms in places. I also like the melodic synths that start to get folded in during the second half. But sorry, @Night Prowler, I would much rather listen to the list nominee here. Winner: Judas Priest - "Living After Midnight"

"Don't Talk To Strangers" is unfortunately not a cover of the Rick Springfield song. :ninja: Nice acoustic intro with a soft vocal from Dio. The darker, heavier verse works well, though I'm less thrilled with the pre-chorus and the awkwardly sparse bit that follows. Very good solo, if a bit try-hard. I don't know, in the end this feels like half of a great song that needed more time in the oven. "Wake Up Dead" has amazing guitar work throughout, and the vocals fit the material well. Some parts are repeated a little too often, but otherwise the song is killer. Sorry, srfkalapoto, but the list nominee takes this one pretty easily. Winner: Megadeth - "Wake Up Dead"

"Peace Sells" has a classic bass line, a wonderfully caustic spoken word rant of a verse, and a couple of simple but memorable choruses. The guitar fills in the first half are pretty good, but the song occasionally feels sparse there until it kicks into high gear for the second half. Great song overall, though. "My Last Words" is one of my favorites from Peace Sells, with that killer clean intro with the distorted leads underneath, that deliciously busy main riff with equally busy bass, great vocal delivery from Mustaine, and the awesome change-up for the final third of the song, with a smoking solo and that "you, next victim!" chant. Love it. In the end I think the relentless drive of this song edges it past its competitor. Winner: Megadeth - "My Last Words"

"Freak On A Leash" is twangy and queasy with really lame vocals and weak vocal melodies. I don't know WTF is going on with that beat box / scat singing shit in the middle. Yeah, that sucked hard. "Treacherous Gods" has some crappy extreme vocals, but literally everything else about the track is superior to its competitor, so this is an easy call for @Poto's nominee. Winner: Ensiferum - "Treacherous Gods"

Metallica "bang bang"s Rammstein with the mammoth For Whom The Bell Tolls. Bad boys Judas Priest breaking the law by Living After Midnight and makes Kampfar to "camp far" from the round. Dave says "Hello me, meet the real me" as the round has both of his songs and My Last Words say a tout le monde to Peace Sells. Dio says don't talk to strangers but forgets about the other lover Diana and gets Wake Up Dead. Treacherous Gods make KoRn feel like "something's taken away from me". Mercyful Fate's Evil was born at the cemetery but gets smoked by The Pot under the sign of moon.

Yes. As a result, I have dispatched my lawyer to serve you with a cease and desist. :p

Tool, lol.

Metallica have the better song here (as overrated as it is), but they also have less flamethrowers on stage. Still, rolling with Jaymz, Cliff, Kirk, and the imp.

Priest, lol. I do appreciate the humor of a good pot-banging session, though.

The fourth match is great, and while Dio obviously has the better vocals, Megadeth have the stronger song. Wake Up Dead is a classic riff-o-rama (the one at the end is sublime), while Dio’s solo stuff focuses more on vocals and songwriting than riffs. Nothing wrong with either approach, but I’m in the mood for riffage.

Not one, not two, but three songs from the same ‘Deth album! Peace Sells has a great bass intro but from there I’ve always found the song to be pretty average. My Last Words is a song I forgot about, but all it took was one listen for me to throw it a bone. Fantastic creepy intro and relentless aggression propel it over peace.

Ensiferum, lol. Their bass player uses a 6-string and wears a kilt; what more do you need? Yes, I know the “singer” from Korn wore a kilt, too, but nu-metal stopped sounding good to me when I turned 12. Also, Ensiferum dress like Vikings on stage. I gotta check more of their stuff out. Recommendations?

“Camp far from the round” and “[Dio] gets Wake Up Dead” are A+ material.

Mercyful Fate - Evil vs. Tool - The Pot
Evil would probably be towards the end of the list if I was to pick songs from Melissa to nominate, but it's still great. The Pot was basically Dad Rock/Grunge but with quirky rhythms, singer even sounded like Maroon 5 at the start Evil

Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls vs. Rammstein - Feuer Frei

Feuer Frei is a bit like dance music with riffs, there's even a chord sequence lifted directly from that The Prodigy track with the "come play my game" bit in it. Doesn't have a hope against Bells. For Whom the Bell Tolls

Judas Priest - Living After Midnight vs. Kampfar - Rekviem

Living After Midnight is what Rock n Roll is about. Kampfar wasn't great Living After Midnight

Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers vs. Megadeth - Wake Up Dead

This is a tough one. I'm going to vote against my own nominee here, both clearly great, Wake Up Dead is better Wake Up Dead

Megadeth - Peace Sells vs. Megadeth - My Last Words

Another tough one, Not going to over think it Peace Sells. Peace Sells

Korn - Freak on a Leash vs. Ensiferum - Treacherous Gods

One of the shittest songs from the shittest band of all time. Ensiferum was decent enough to listen to the whole track. What do you call this genre? Treacherous Gods

Well, well, well... A song where King Diamond actually sounds tolerable most of the time. I definitely enjoyed "Evil" quite a bit. The music is great too, but that's not as surprising. On the other hand, Tool is so hyped up almost everywhere that I'm very underwhelmed every time I listen to them. They're not bad, just very overrated. I'm gonna reward King Diamond instead by throwing my vote for Mercyful Fate.

Rammstein is fun and enjoyable as usual, but "Feuer Frei" has absolutely no chance against "For Whom the Bell Tolls". Not much else to say but Metallica.

"Rekviem" is a monster of a song. Epic, menacing, heavy and melodic. Really, really good stuff, but sorry, Kampfar, I just enjoy "Living After Midnight" more. I can't help it - it's such a simple, groovy rocker, and it's so catchy and fun. Judas Priest.

"Don't Talk to Strangers" vs. "Wake Up Dead" is definitely the toughest one in this round. Both great tunes, with very little to separate them in terms of quality. Before listening, I was expecting myself to go with Dio, but since "Wake Up Dead" has been stuck in my head the entire evening, I just cannot not vote for Megadeth.

We're getting so much great music now. "My Last Words" is another fun, energetic banger, but "Peace Sells" is iconic for a reason, and the choice is obvious.

Korn is fucking shit. Ensiferum.

"Evil" is awesome but it isn't Tool. Surprised @Kalata skipped right over Mercyful Fate, I'd have thought the guitar was up his alley.

Pity vote for Rammstein but "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is a masterpiece.
For Whom The Bell Tolls has one of the best driving riffs. No guitar solo, unfortunately.
Where would you put it? Amidst all the riffs and the basswork the solo would feel shoehorned in; it's five minutes of amazing metal music.

Kampfar. "Living After Midnight" is probably the worst of Priest's most popular songs. Too simple and stopped being fun when I actually discovered other metal songs.

"Don't Talk to Strangers" has a cool refrain but I've always felt like there's something missing, like Dio had a full epic on his hands but had no idea where to take it. "Wake Up Dead" is a fantastic riff-piece so Megadeth take this handily.

"Peace Sells" is a classic, "My Last Words" is a fine closer, but frankly almost none of Peace Sells... has aged well for me.

I'm pretty sure I've heard all of "Treacherous Gods" in a Sabaton song??? Anyway "Freak on a Leash" is AWESOME, one of the few songs were Korn actually were worth the hype and one of the best nu metal songs ever. I love the wavy, anxious, uncomfortably guitar in the verses; when the heavy distortion kicks in it WHIPS. The chorus is so fun, the percussion feels almost tribal, and Jonathan Davis's gibberish vocalization is iconic. Awesome from beginning to end and shouldn't be losing to this wannabe melodeath band.

Surprised @Kalata skipped right over Mercyful Fate, I'd have thought the guitar was up his alley.
Sorry, maybe only the solos.
Where would you put it? Amidst all the riffs and the basswork the solo would feel shoehorned in; it's five minutes of amazing metal music.
There is always where! In this case, at 3:15 after the harmonized guitar.
"Don't Talk to Strangers" has a cool refrain but I've always felt like there's something missing, like Dio had a full epic on his hands but had no idea where to take it.
Epic? The song is perfect as it is.

Match 19 - Tool
The Pot was basically Dad Rock/Grunge but with quirky rhythms, singer even sounded like Maroon 5 at the start
Tool is so hyped up almost everywhere that I'm very underwhelmed every time I listen to them.
Who are you to wave your finger?
You must've been outta your head...

Match 20 - Metallica
I don't really care about For Whom the Bell Tolls. I loved playing that bass intro, it might be the reason why I grew tired of it. The quality of the song still stands test of time, tho.

Match 21 - Kampfar
Those first three minutes of Kampfar sounded like drummer was trying to test warranty of his drum kit. Luckily, I didn't skip it because the rest of the song had some great moments. Also, I always thought Living After Midnight sounded like something from Rock n' Rolla, too happy, cheery and poppy.

Match 22 - Dio
No Dio bias, but I find Wake Up Dead underwhelming, especially as an opener and especially as an gig opener. Also, Megadeth 90s > Megadeth 80s.

Match 23 - My Last Words (mis-click)
*See Matches 20 and 22.

Match 24 - Ensiferum
I don't know WTF is going on with that beat box / scat singing shit in the middle.
That is history in the making, my dear man, that's what's going on. (not gonna lie, would love to end up in a mosh pit during that part, it would be hilariously awesome).

Evil is very cool, especially the mad instrumental ending, but The Pot is one of Tool's very best.

Metallica easily.

Living After Midnight is simplistic but still very fun. Kampfar ain't bad though.

Both of these have crazy guitar stuff. I prefer Wake Up Dead's soloing but the ending is stupid so Dio it is.

Peace Sells has just the attitude and catchiness to be a classic. There's great shredding in My Last Words but it's still worse.

Hey, it's this piece of shit. I actually enjoyed it a bit this time until the monkey noises. The riff under the prechorus sounds very similar to a DT song from 6DOIT or SC, I think Misunderstood. Treacherous Gods is great.

I gotta check more of their stuff out. Recommendations?
Here's my post from a while back, from GMAC:
Night Prowler said:
Ensiferum's debut is magical. They were never the most original band. Riffs were 100% 80's Metallica, mixing with folk stuff was done before, vocals were done in melodeath years before. But this album and Iron have something that no other band before or after managed to capture. Obviously not the Ensiferum after these two albums. As I said, riffs on these two first albums were 100% Metallica. They even got the guy who produced Ride The Lightning, Master and Justice to produce Iron, and they covered multiple Metallica songs live. But anyway, this album really did it all.

Perfect little intro. Then an onslaught of three fast and short catchy songs in Hero In A Dream, Token Of Time and Guardians Of Fate. Then two weirder epic tracks (which are IMO weakest on the album) followed by another onslaught of 5 super epic songs. Abandoned, the only one without growls with an epic af melodic ending. Windrider with a kickass lead melody. Treacherous Gods... just about the most epic song in this genre ever. I mean if you don't find that last chorus epic af you should rethink your music taste completely. Fucking perfect buildup to that one. Eternal Wait... might actually be my favorite song of theirs. Incredible ballad. Gonna have to put it into TJST. And then at the end Battle Song. It's like Run To The Hills dialed up to 666 in a heroic melodeath style. There's no song more appropriate to be called Battle Song than this one. Part that starts at 02:30 is out of this world epic.

I will acknowledge that Jari isn't a perfect vocalist. His harsh vocals are great, but not too irreplaceable, and his cleans have an accent but he has sincerity unmatched by his phony weak and sad replacements. For those who don't know the history of this band, Jari left after Iron (along with everyone else other than Markus, the other guitarist). Petri from Norther took over harsh vocals and Markus and the new bass player took up the cleans. Petri does a fine job, but those two are really really bad at singing. Imagine Bruce being replaced by Steve and Janick dual singing everything. They have next to no range and both have a much worse accent than Jari.

Evil continues the trend of awesome Mercyful Fate music and terrible King Diamond vocals. I recognize some of it from the Metallica medley, which is infinitely superior because it lacks Mickey Mouse. The Pot is not only a more complete package, it’s also my favorite Tool song.

Feuer frei! is fine, but For Whom The Bell Tolls is awesome and iconic.

I’m not a fan of Living After Midnight. It’s so damn boring. Yeah, it’s catchy, but that’s all it is. It’s like an AC/DC song. There’s no meat on its bones. However, I only enjoy about 50% of what Kampfar are doing and I actively dislike about 25% of it. There’s nothing I actively dislike about this simplistic Priest song, I guess.

Don’t Talk to Strangers is a classic that succeeds especially well due to Dio’s exceptional vocal performance. The intro is a thing of pure beauty, as is the heavier reprise of it during the bridge. The way Dio can capture softness and pure fire within the span of a single lyric is simply astounding. If there’s one weaker link here, I would actually say it’s the guitars (mostly Viv’s messy solo). Wake Up Dead definitely does not have a problem in the guitar department. What an exceptional riff fest. Dave’s vocals are the exact opposite of Dio’s, re: good, but the riffs are just perfection from start to finish. Ellefson deserves special mention for that slight bass pop at the end of the riff in the mid-section. Poland and Mustaine compliment each other throughout as players and the song just keeps getting better (whereas I think Dio’s kinda peaks out of the gate). As much as I hate doing it, I must vote against Dio again here. Wake Up Dead is that good.

The Megadeth battle is a bit more straightforward: a mid-tempo classic versus a thrashy lost treasure. Peace Sells is one of the most iconic songs in the history of heavy metal (once again special mention is owed to Ellefson). I also love My Last Words, which has ANOTHER stellar Ellefson performance, but I can’t in good conscience say that it’s an objectively better song than Peace Sells. I think it’s more fun, but Peace Sells edges it out (special mention again to Ellefson who is pretty good at edging himself).

LOL not Korn. Also this Ensiferum song is dope as hell and, as @Detective Beauregard mentioned, inspires me to want to hear more from them.

Back