The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 76-81

What is your favourite song in each match?

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Black Sabbath's symptom is winning over Legend. Blind Guardian killed the king using their imagination! Spooky. Queen went stone cold crazy when confronted with Metallica's creeping death. Children of the grave break the tyrants' circle as Black Sabbath wins their matchup. Death pulls the plug on Gamma Ray. And Motörhead overkills Quasarborn.

Part II, Round 1, Matches 7-12

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 7
Running Free Division​
Judas Priest - Electric Eye
vs.
Thorns - World Playground Deceit​
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 8
Ed Hunter Division​
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
vs.
Metallica - Whiplash​
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, VH1 40, Best Music Art 100
@____no5
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 9
Paul Todd Division​
KISS - Detroit Rock City
vs.
Anthrax - Indians​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100, VH1 40
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 10
Powerslave Division​
Black Sabbath - Neon Knights
vs.
Iced Earth - The Coming Curse​
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@Spambot
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 11
Out of the Silent Planet Division​
Dio - Holy Diver
vs.
Linkin Park - Faint​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Radio EHS 100, Rate Your Music 100
@Spambot, @LooseCannon, @Poto
Nominators
Youtube 50​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 12
The Edge of Darkness Division​
Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down
vs.
Judas Priest - Rapid Fire​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Epic battles already what’s that with the points and +0?

One of the easiest rounds ever. Priest (twice) and Dio are obvious picks, and Anthrax gets my vote by default.

The second and fourth matches are at least fair. I may generally prefer Metallica to Pantera, but I find most of Kill 'em All to be overly straightforward and dull, with Whiplash being no exception (there are a few exceptions, mind you). No way it beats one of Pantera's best tracks from their best album.

The fourth match is another good one. I may love Dio Sabbath, but Neon Knights is straightforward and lacks the depth of other tracks such as Children of the Sea and Heaven and Hell. It's still a solid rocker, but The Coming Curse is unquestionably top-tier Iced Earth. There, a vote against Dio. See? It is possible.

Electric Eye without a doubt in the first round!

Love Metallica but with Cowboys From Hell, Pantera is a force to reckon with.

Talking about KISS, I find Detroit Rock City, a bit overrated and they have many songs better than that but when it comes to Anthrax, that "war dance" riff in Indians is the first thing that comes to mind whenever the band is mentioned. Its just an iconic song!

Sabbath Vs. Iced Earth was a tough one. I went for Neon Knights. Dio's vocals are really good but I think Tony Iommi's playing got even more better as the albums progressed. Wish Iced Earth had more lead work in their songs but still awesome!

Linkin Park and Dio is a crazy matchup. RIP Chester and RJD. I'm going obviously here for Holy Diver. LP was actually one of my first favourite bands but Faint is not that strong to go against such mammoth of a song.

Now Judas Priest is definitely my favourite but I think Rapid Fire just drags along. Its just decent! Had there been Grinder or Steeler, it would have been different. While I'm just a casual listener of SxTx but ROCKY GEORGE (a very underappreciated guitarist, imo) has some nice leads in You Can't Bring Me Down and its a really fun song overall.

Easy round for me.

Electric Eye. One of the best metal openers and riffs! You just can't compare.
Whiplash's energy is so captivating. NWOBHM rule.
Indians is one of Anthrax's best, but Detroit Rock City is one of the best rock openers and Kiss is one of my favorite bands. Riff, verses and chorus are so catchy, while the guitar harmony in the middle is alone worth it to beat whole songs.
Neon Knights, no contest. Classic metal, forever! One of my favorite Black Sabbath songs. Top 10. The golden voice!
Holy Diver is one of the greatest songs of all time. It's mesmerizing. Classic solo. Again, no contest. But I really like this Linkin Park song.
Rapid Fire. No contest really. That's what I call an opener. Great riff and solos battle!

My vote goes to :

Judas Priest - Electric Eye
Metallica - Whiplash
Kiss - Detroit Rock City
Black Sabbath - Neon Knights
Dio - Holy Diver
Judas Priest - Rapid Fire

With the exception of Thorns and obviously Linkin Park - extremely strong round! Gonna take me awhile to think of who to vote for.

Judas Priest - Electric Eye vs. Thorns - World Playground Deceit
I didn't give much of a listen to Thorns, the guitar sound was too buzzy and the drums too busy, I'd have listened to the whole track if this was an earlier round, but it was obvious quite quickly it wasn't beating Electric Eye. Although I think @Shmoolikipod would have good grounds for a stewards inquiry given that most people voting are thinking of The Hellion too. Electric Eye

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell vs. Metallica - Whiplash

Whiplash is good fun but Cowboys has more merit. Cowboys From Hell

KISS - Detroit Rock City vs. Anthrax - Indians

This is the toughest of the round, Indians is Anthrax's best as is Detroit Rock City Kiss's. I think Detroit is more iconic. Detroit Rock City

Black Sabbath - Neon Knights vs. Iced Earth - The Coming Curse

I said this about The Coming Curse first time, "Piano intro seems completely unnecessary when a totally different track kicks in, so hopefully there's some sort of call back to it in the rest of the song. Head is nodding when it kicks in, there's a To Tame a Land chord progression in the solo, and Sign of the Cross after the scream, followed by some more of To Tame a Land. Whereas the first tie packed a lot into 4 mins, this track packed 4 mins into 10 mins." which saved me from having to listen to it again, I'm not being ignorant it's just there's no hope of Iced Earth ever coming up with anything fit to be considered next to Neon Knights. Iommi's best solo. Neon Knights

Dio - Holy Diver vs. Linkin Park - Faint

Easiest tie. Holy Diver

Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down vs. Judas Priest - Rapid Fire

I like Rapid Fire, great opener to a great album, as is You Can't Bring Me Down which is the far better track. You Can't Bring Me Down

The fourth match is another good one. I may love Dio Sabbath, but Neon Knights is straightforward and lacks the depth of other tracks such as Children of the Sea and Heaven and Hell. It's still a solid rocker, but The Coming Curse is unquestionably top-tier Iced Earth. There, a vote against Dio. See? It is possible.
So, you're a Dio fan and I warned people not to vote for every Dio song. But I nominate Dio and you vote against it? That's it, this is personal.

Listen, I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for something I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you vote for my Dio nominations from now on that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will boombox Limp Bizkit in front of your house.

See? Man who's knows his priorities.
Be like Magnus.

"Electric Eye" has great energy, a strong verse and pre-choruses, and an OK chorus. The solo and the way it builds back up into the main riff is also great. Strong bridge. Really good overall, would've been great if the chorus was better. "World Playground Deceit" has some bizarrely interesting guitar chaos and less-annoying-than-usual black metal vocals, though the repetitive drumming is really grating. The song is also at least twice as long as its musical ideas would merit. Sorry, @Shmoolikipod, but this is no contest at all. Winner: Judas Priest - "Electric Eye"

"Cowboys From Hell" has good riffs, and while Phil Anselmo sounds better than usual here, he still sounds pretty terrible. Half-melodic and squeaky, alternating with lame spoken word. Blecch. The song's also really repetitive. Very good solo, though. "Whiplash" has simplistic but enjoyable riffs. Hetfield sounds really raw here, but still better than Anselmo, and the vocal melodies are stronger. This one also has a very good solo, though probably not as good as its competitor's. Not thrilled with either track, and the Pantera song suprisingly has higher highs, but sorry @____no5, I think the Metallica song is still more consistently enjoyable. Winner: Metallica - "Whiplash"

"Detroit Rock City" is one of the very few Kiss songs that I legitimately enjoy, overlong intro aside. It's epic and catchy throughout, with great vocal lines and nice guitar and bass fills. Nice harmonized interlude toward the end, too. "Indians" begins with some promise, but quickly starts to suffer from the usual set of Anthrax problems (uneven vocals, bad vocal melodies, dumb lyrics, uneven solos), and it has a pretty terrible chorus. No contest here. Winner: Kiss - "Detroit Rock City"

"Neon Knights" has a peppy groove, and Dio sounds good as expected, but the song's pretty repetitive and the verse and chorus vocal lines aren't the best. The pre-chorus melody is better, though. Good solos. Pretty good overall, but nothing particularly special. "The Coming Curse" has a solid but overlong piano intro that cuts sloppily into the meat of the song. The thrashy riffage is good, as are the solo and first interlude, but I am not a fan of Barlow, even though he sounds a little better than usual here. The bridge sounds like a poor man's "Seventh Son", and while the songwriting isn't quite as patchworky as a typical Iseditionist Earth epic, it's not as coherent as it ought to be. The male and female church vocals don't blend into the music at all (unlike countless examples of other metal bands doing it well), and the extended outro just winds up feeling bizarre. Bear Spray Boy has higher highs and lower lows than his competitor here, but I'd much rather listen to @Spambot's nominee if given the choice. Winner: Black Sabbath - "Neon Knights"

"Holy Diver" has an unnecessarily long synth intro, but it eventually breaks into a simple but iconic riff. Dio sounds great and the vocal melodies do too. Strong solo. Very good overall. "Faint" has an appealing verse rhythm and melodic loop, and the chorus is solid. Even the shouty bridge is fine. While I wouldn't personally consider this to be one of Linkin Park's best songs, it's enjoyable enough -- but congratulations, SpootoBannon, that's still not enough to topple the tiger in this match. Winner: Dio - "Holy Diver"

"You Can't Bring Me Down" has a haunting opening with a tasteful solo, then goes full thrash with punky vocals. The riffs and solos are strong and the vocals work surprisingly well, though they get repetitive. The mellow bridge is unexpected, as is the dope soloing on top of it. This is actually a pretty great song, and sort of surprising based on my limited familiarity with ST's material beyond their earliest stuff. "Rapid Fire" is peppy, but the main riff isn't very inspiring and the verse vocal lines aren't the best. The pre-chorus is better. The interludes aren't very interesting and just tread water. The guitar fills aren't very interesting either. Wait, did this song even have a chorus? Yeah, that was the definition of underwhelming. I'm sure Priest will run away with this one due to familiarity bias, but this one's no contest, really. Winner: Suicidal Tendencies - "You Can't Bring Me Down"

Judas Priest - Electric Eye vs Thorns - World Playground Deceit. -->Great to see Judas Priest young. This goes to them.
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell vs Metallica - Whiplash. -->There are no words to express how I admire Anselmo as a frontman. Now we take it as a given but the guy opened new ways big time. Of course Pantera was a tour de force not just Anselmo. Best group of 90s by miles.
KISS - Detroit Rock City vs Anthrax - Indians --> Anthrax of course. Great energy in that video.
Black Sabbath - Neon Knights vs Iced Earth - The Coming Curse --> Sorry Dio, but it's not even close. The Coming Curse is one of the top Iced Earth songs. Matt Barlow at his best.
Dio - Holy Diver vs Linkin Park - Faint. --> No contest. I was hoping to see the official Holy Diver video, nevermind :)
Suicidal Tendencies - You Can't Bring Me Down vs Judas Priest - Rapid Fire -->Difficult choice, I'll go with Tendencies. More complex song and there are many Priest down the line.

"Electric Eye" is great, easily Priest's best opener - the combo of "The Hellion/Electric Eye" is almost as iconic as "Churchill's Speech/Aces High" in my book. Thorns don't stand a chance here. Judas Priest.

I love Metallica, and I'm not big on Pantera, but I find Kill 'Em All very mediocre, and "Cowboys from Hell" is one of the few Pantera songs I genuinely like, so they get my vote.

"Detroit Rock City" is just a good, energetic, fun song. "Indians" is cool, but I'm feeling Kiss more right now.

Everything about "The Coming Curse" is amazing - you get an ominous, foreboding piano intro, a killer riff, a fantastic Barlow performance, and some epic storytelling. Sorry, "Neon Knights", but even though you're enjoyable and very good too, this is a no-brainer. Iced Earth.

"Faint" definitely belongs among Linkin Park's best songs, but up against "Holy Diver" and its legendary riff, there's just no contest. Dio.

I thought "You Can't Bring Me Down" showed some real promise as it got itself going, but the repetition and the vocals in general kinda brought it down in the end. The riffing and overall energy is good, but the same definitely goes for "Rapid Fire", and this one doesn't have any annoying parts. It's another vote for Judas Priest.

There’s a few knock-out’s here that really require no justification:
  • Electric Eye
  • Indians
  • Holy Diver

And then there’s a few that require some actual active listening:

Rapid Fire is a bit stock and not the most inspiring Priest song, but overall it’s more enjoyable than Suicidal Tendencies (who I just don’t understand). The instrumental on You Can’t Bring Me Down is great, but the vocals are terrible. Halford sounds absolutely ferocious on Rapid Fire, honestly he's bringing more heaviness than the guitars. Priest victory.

Cowboys From Hell is not only one of Pantera’s better tracks, but it’s off the only album of theirs that I ever really liked. Whiplash, though fun, I guess, is not from one of my favorite Metallica albums, nor is it even one of the best songs on that album. The song peaked with Newsted on vocals and this one just sounds tame. Pantera victory.

Neon Knights burns like hot fire from the get go and it reintroduces Black Sabbath to the world, now featuring a real singer! It is not, however, one of my favorite tracks from Heaven and Hell (which is to say it’s one of the lower 10/10’s on the album). Still, it’s a jolly good romp and Dio sounds absolutely magnificent. His voice is so clear, even when he’s using distortion. Just awesome. Neon Knights is an upbeat asskicker of an opener. The Coming Curse is its opposite in literally every way. It serves as the epic album closer to a great record and a trilogy of tunes. I love the piano intro and outro. The verses and chorus are absolutely furious. Barlow sounds incredible throughout, especially his massive wail before that amazing bridge riff (that sounds like demonic zombies trudging through the rivers of hell). I love the little lead under that riff, too. The dynamics are phenomenal as the track builds back up through some weird chanting layers before Barlow unleashes the full fury of his upper register. I have many, many great memories of absolutely rocking the fuck out to this song at gigs back when Jon Schaffer was legally allowed to travel more than 2 miles from his home.

This is incredibly difficult, but yes, I simply have to vote for The Coming Curse. It’s a Top Five song in the Iced Earth discography. Neon Knights is great, and we all know I worship Dio, but it’s probably somewhere in the lower top 20 (at most) of Dio’s material over the years. Also, playing devil’s advocate, Iced Earth are probably going to lose here, so I only feel a little bit like I’m cheating on Ronnie.

There’s a few knock-out’s here that really require no justification:
  • Indians
1706275766393-gif.33585

I seriously don't understand what people see in 80s Anthrax at all.

I seriously don't understand what people see in 80s Anthrax KISS at all.
Indians is not a very good song, I will state that. Joey Belladonna sounds good on the chorus, shit on everything else. It lacks any kind of sophistication in songwriting. It's worse than a lot of other Anthrax songs. I actually find Among The Living to be a horribly overrated album and Joey's worst performance with the band.

But it's not KISS.

Back