The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

Re: TFF is hands down the best modern Maiden album

Well, I used to think the same way. It literally took over 5 years for SSOASS to click with me. Once it did click, I've been loving it. But it's still not in my top 5, but...redeemed.

Re: Still the best review of The Final Frontier

badisabella said:
Has everybody read this yet? I still think it's the best review of The Final Frontier yet. Very detailed, really gets into it. If you love Maiden, this review is meant for you, the fans, not just general music fans.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/iron-maiden-the-final-frontier-review-track-by-track-264423

It used to be on wikipedia but I don't see it anymore. I'd put it up myself but I don't know how. Anybody know how to do it?
nice review except for the fact that The Talisman is not long enough for the reviewer to be talking about what is going on at 9:03 of the song, and the description of the guitar solos is nowhere close to what is actually in the song, so I don't know what song the reviewer was listening to...

Don't get me wrong, I get why so many love SSOASS. It deserves it.
In a world of super-models, who can quibble with a guy who likes blondes over brunettes?
Back to the point of this thread though, it's too early to tell about TFF's ultimate standing.
But considering the massive expectations of this board and the evidence that most seem to feel those expectation have been met, it speaks very well for its chances.

Re: Still the best review of The Final Frontier

I'm loving all of the positive critical reviews! At least THEY know what they're talking about (for once, haha.)

And that Music Radar review is amazing. I've read it about a hundred times.

judas_rising said:
Can someone please tell me who "H" is and why he bares such a title?
  Uh oh  here we go again everyone...who wants to tackle this one?

judas_rising said:
Can someone please tell me who "H" is and why he bares such a title?

H = Adrian Smith. When you say "Adrian" with an East End accent, it sounds like "Hadrian". H.

Also.

Adrian Smith flies at the speed of light without the restrictions of relativity.
Adrian Smith can invert black holes to use as spotlights on his gigs.
Adrian Smith eats an anti-matter/matter stream for breakfast.
Adrian Smith drives motorcycles with his mind.
Adrian Smith can be every performer in a circus simultaneously.
Adrian Smith launches a thousand ships with a single riff.
Adrian Smith only rolls 20s.
Adrian Smith has never lost in a game of chance.
Adrian Smith can shoot the dog in Duck Hunt.

adrian fn rules said:
  Uh oh  here we go again everyone...who wants to tackle this one?
Ok, here you go.

In cockneyed accent English, the name Adrian is pronounced "AITCHRIAN"...therefore because the first 5 letters of that phonetic pronunciation sound like the letter H, Adrian smith is nicknamed "H" for short.

There are a couple of other explanations for this that I have heard, but that one is the common consensus.  If you want more qualitative answers about anything Maiden,  go to www.theironmaidencommentary.com

bornless1 said:
For those surprised about the love for BNW-Donner you nailed it. People [for the overwhelming majority] wanted Bruce and H back.  When that album [BNW} came out..holy crap.  It was almost like finding a lost dog after a few years, and having given up on finding him.  Then BOOM!  you can have him back and smiles all around!!

Those songs aren't the greatest in the Maiden library, not close.  But that time was a magic time for Maiden fans, especially for those like me who cringed at the sight and sound of fat goofy Blaze Bailey.  Anyway, personal feeling aside, This album IS the best since SSOASS.  And may climb in the top 3 all time before it's over for me.
Agreed . The BNW time period was a magical one, pre-release and post-release. I have never been so hyped up about an album and the album didn't disappoint. It was the first time that i would listen to the "true" IM sound since 1988 .It wasn't just Blaze , i hated the non-Smith albums with Dickinson much more  than the Blaze-era albums.

BNW is a great album and i love even songs that some people consider filler but i think that AMOLAD is even better (and TFF obviously).

bornless1 said:
Those songs aren't the greatest in the Maiden library, not close.  But that time was a magic time for Maiden fans.

I half agree with your statement on Brave New World. Yes. I agree a lot of the love for this album has to do with when it was released, and the fact that Adrian and Bruce are back.  I became a maiden fan after they returned, but BNW was my first album, so it's a similar love.

I love songs like: Brave New World, Blood Brothers, and Dream of Mirrors, perhaps more then they may deserve. It being my first album though, they get nostalgic points, which elevate them.  So in that sense I agree with you.

However, in my opinion. The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, and the Thin Line, are among the best Maiden songs. Regardless of nostalgia or excitement people had, when the band reunited.

No Forum users TFF reviews?

Hi, I haven't heard the new album yet, but I'm getting the impressiona  few of you have. How come no one has posted any personal reviews of it? Is it against the forum rules?

Re: No Forum users TFF reviews?

I'd imagine it has something to do with the album being so diverse and complex that it is practically impossible (for me at least) to form a solid opinion on each of the songs after only a couple of days, each listen for me opens up a new dimension and changes my thoughts on the songs, at this rate it will take weeks if not longer to be able to decide what I really think of the album but have no doubt, it is truly brilliant.

It will take me at least another week to post and in depth review. I need to hear the real thing first.

Even though lots of us have heard the leak, we don't really know how good the album will actually sound.  So far, i'd say it's the best CD i've ever heard, but we'll see how I feel in the coming weeks.

I'm thinking this is the best of them since BD and AS came back.  I didn't think anything would top AMOLAD...or if they were even capable of topping an album that good 30 years into their careers.  I'm not so certain they haven't done that.

This is a much more diverse album.  The horizons -- with each subsequent listen -- are as boundless right now as those alluded to in Coming Home.

For a band celebrating thirty years, this is an exceptionally and almost frightfully ambitious record. This band should be sailing into their own horizon on a sea of their accomplishments and instead they're tearing up mountain sides and laying down track like their very existence depends on it.

How exciting is that?

I've only been a Maiden fan for 6 years, and in some strange way I've worked my way through the albums, though AMOLAD came smack between that period.

I began listening to Maiden just shortly before I turned 16, so it's a fairly recent affair in their history as such. All in all every single album's been my favourite album ever apart from the 4 albums in the 90s.

The one album that's endured every season for me has to be Powerslave, though AMOLAD and SIT always provided massive competition. Now with TFF, I think I've found the one album that beats em all, though I'm still not convinced by TMWWBK, but if that that song can do it for me, then yes.

AMOLAD had The Legacy which to this day I still can't like as much as the rest of the album, and when comparing Powerslave to TFF, Powerslave's shortness is it's downfall almost when comparing to the majesty of TFF.

It might be a honeymoon period, but the album just feels great and progressive and not repetitive.

Back