The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

Re: Highlights and/or shortcoming on Final Frontier? (Spoilers.)

The only song after listening to the album that I'm not convinced is on part with the rest of the album is The Man Who Would Be King.After listening to the album around 4 or 5 times in it's entirety I'd say pretty much every song on it is essential Iron Maiden save TMWWBK. Even the Talisman which I didn't quite like at the start grew on me in the end, so yep.

This album feels like the logical successor to Somewhere In Time and Brave New World in their own right. It has the progressive and futuristic edge of Somewhere In Time and the positive atmosphere that Brave New World has.Is it the best of the lot from the 21st Century stuff? Yup. A Matter of Life & Death whilst being a classic in my opinion is ridiculously dark and morbid and for that reason only would The Final Frontier pip it.In terms of the stuff from the 80s, even though it's only just sunk in yet, I reckon this album wins purely because it has the shorter hit like songs evident from that era and fits the right balance of new and old.

This album feels mature, like Maiden have finally after 15 albums hit the one that can please pretty much everyone bar the purists who despise anything from the 21st Century. Though there are certain bits in some of the songs that feel like they've had auto-plague on for, but I'll excuse it. It's IRON MAIDEN!

Re: Still the best review of The Final Frontier

I have no idea where to post this given the zillion threads about TFF (and no desire to start a new one), so here goes. 

Here is Billboard magazine's review of the new album:

Iron Maiden knows how to make up for lost time. Four years after "A Matter of Life or Death" -- the longest wait for a new album in the British metal heroes' 35-year history -- the sextet delivers its longest outing yet (more than 76 minutes), a loosely thematic 10-song opus that features some of Maiden's most ambitious and intricate work.  Recorded at Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas, where the group also made some early favorites, its latest set, "The Final Frontier," boasts just one track that runs less than five minutes and five that weigh in at more than eight.  Those include the suite-like bookends "Satellite 15 . . . The Final Frontier" and the epic album closer "When the Wild Wind Blows," based on an apocalyptic graphic novel by Raymond Briggs.  The delicately crafted "Coming Home" is Maiden's most effective power ballad ever, while "The Man Who Would Be King" delivers a slice of medieval mayhem.  And the jam section during the cut "Isle of Avalon" suggests a metal take on the Grateful Dead.  With all that, "The Final Frontier" boldly goes where few metal bands have gone before.

Re: Still the best review of The Final Frontier

badisabella said:
Has everybody read this yet? I still think it's the best review of The Final Frontier yet. Very detailed, really gets into it. If you love Maiden, this review is meant for you, the fans, not just general music fans.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/iron-maiden-the-final-frontier-review-track-by-track-264423

It used to be on wikipedia but I don't see it anymore. I'd put it up myself but I don't know how. Anybody know how to do it?

Amazing they got all that from one listen.

Re: TFF is hands down the best modern Maiden album

For those surprised about the love for BNW-Donner you nailed it. People [for the overwhelming majority] wanted Bruce and H back.  When that album [BNW} came out..holy crap.  It was almost like finding a lost dog after a few years, and having given up on finding him.  Then BOOM!  you can have him back and smiles all around!!

Those songs aren't the greatest in the Maiden library, not close.  But that time was a magic time for Maiden fans, especially for those like me who cringed at the sight and sound of fat goofy Blaze Bailey.  Anyway, personal feeling aside, This album IS the best since SSOASS.  And may climb in the top 3 all time before it's over for me.

Those songs aren't the greatest in the Maiden library, not close.  [/quote]

I can't agree due to my current love affair with The Thin Line Between Love and Hate. I would've agreed a few weeks ago. XD

bornless1 said:
But that time was a magic time for Maiden fans, especially for those like me who cringed at the sight and sound of fat goofy Blaze Bailey.  Anyway, personal feeling aside,

It's okay to not like him but "fat goofy Blaze" is really rude. :/

bornless1 said:
This album IS the best since SSOASS.  And may climb in the top 3 all time before it's over for me.

I'm pretty certain that once my honeymoon ends with this album I'm gonna end up agreeing with you (or at least it'll tie AMOLAD). :D

Okay sorry about the Blaze remark moon.  You are right, some like the dude. I just longed for Bruce and H, and can remember the joy when Blaze 'hit the bricks'.  My bad. And, love the thin line. Love playing all those songs, BNW, Blood Bros. etc.  Always makes me happy  and great memories of getting 'MY'  Maiden back.    I'll be nice to Blaze from now on!!

bornless1 said:
For those surprised about the love for BNW-Donner you nailed it. People [for the overwhelming majority] wanted Bruce and H back.  When that album [BNW} came out..holy crap.  It was almost like finding a lost dog after a few years, and having given up on finding him.  Then BOOM!  you can have him back and smiles all around!!

THAT is a very good analogy.  My sentiments exactly. When I heard that not only Bruce was coming back, but ADRIAN too, I was in such a state of euphoria for about 2 months that my wife thought I had started smoking weed again.  Seriously

Adrian Fn Rules, LOL!!  That line about your wife thinking you started back on the creature!!  HAHA.  Am I right though bro?  BRUCE AND ADRIAN BACK WITH MAIDEN!!  I was on cloud nine, and have never come back to earth since!!  BTW I'm on cloud 9,000 today with FF!!

bornless1 said:
  Okay sorry about the Blaze remark moon.  You are right, some like the dude. I just longed for Bruce and H, and can remember the joy when Blaze 'hit the bricks'.  My bad. And, love the thin line. Love playing all those songs, BNW, Blood Bros. etc.  Always makes me happy  and great memories of getting 'MY'  Maiden back.    I'll be nice to Blaze from now on!!

Well, considering in my opinion Bruce > the universe, it's hard to argue with this post. :bigsmile:

Right now I am not prepared to say that this is better than AMOLAD, but it is at least on the same level, just in a different way.  I have been waiting for so long for Maiden to "let themselves go", to stray far from their "formula" and for Steve to hand the reins over to Adrian, who is the best songwriter in the band by far, if not in the world of Metal period,  and I am glad that this has finally happened. The progressive melodies, time and rhythm changes, layering, guitar fills, and most of all probably the best damn progressive solo work by Adrian ever makes this a landmark album. Yea its not as hard and driving as AMOLAD, but thats okay, if you want "hard and heavy" then listen to AMOLAD! I love that this one is more upbeat and experimental.  The only gripe I have is that some of the intros are still too long, with the intro to the Talisman completely uneccessary,  and some of the riffs (  ones that aren't new and progressive ) sound TOO familiar and recycled.  And I want to like WTWWB, but the overly long "storytelling verses" that plod through the first quarter of the song almost ruin it.  Only the midway point of the song with the rhythm change and excellent lead break save this song.  I said in another thread that Steve was way too indulgent with this one.  Only Adrian was able to save it.  Hell, this is ADRIAN's album !!!

Now heading into the 3rd day of listening, I can definitely agree with the OP. However, I'm seeing a lot of opposite opinions elsewhere. Whilst reviews have been highly praising the album, the non-maiden hardcore don't seem to agree. A lot of them are calling it too long, slow, boring, soft, even ripping off other bands (regarding the prog atmosphere). Honestly, I can see why they would dislike it. Most of them have a good idea what to expect from Maiden, and this obviously isn't it. But that doesn't mean they have to dislike the album. If they knew where it was coming from and what it was aiming for, they'd probably change their opinions if only slightly, but at least for the positive.

The only reason I'm bothering with this is because I don't want this album to be one that's hammered by the casual listeners, and only appreciated by the fans. The album will get a bad rep and suddenly everyone will think Maiden are no more and that they should retire. That's what some of the opinions have been so far, and I'd really hate this album to be remembered in that sort of way. It's simply too good for that.

Anyway, enough of this negative shit. At the end of the day, the only person who needs to like it is you, the listener. And seeing as 9/10 people here seem to love it, I'd say it's a good sign.

Just btw, I absolutely love Brave New World, it's one of my favorites. I think the songs are exceptional all the way through. And I've never been that fond of Seventh Son. (in regards to the conversation that was going on above, lol.)

Moonchild33 said:
Seventh Son's my favourite album. :O

The Evil That Men Do is one of my favorite Maiden songs!  :ok:

It's just the rest of it I'm not that into. I don't dislike it, but it's probably my least favorite Bruce album, unless TFF takes that title, which I'm really hoping it doesn't.  :p

Seventh son is top of the line.  So tight and well balanced.  The songs are all journeys and take you all over the map emotionally. It is right there with Piece for me.  No disrespect for BNW, but I think seventh son is quite superior to it.  

Ashes, if you like BNW better, then it IS better for you.  It's all a matter of taste. And since you are on here tonight, you obviously have great taste in music!!!

Yeah, just because it's my favourite, it doesn't mean it's the best .;)

ToAshesHisGrave said:
Well, I wish I could hear what everyone else hears, I guess.

How long have you been into Maiden?

I've been a Maiden fan for nearly 30 years and I agree with Ashes.
I like Seventh Son a helluva lot — just not as much as the four that came before it, or two (nah, three after Monday) of the post-reunion releases.
It just seems like the grasp didn't quite match the reach.

Back