The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

Re: TFF is hands down the best modern Maiden album

I have to agree with the OP aswell.
I appreciate the concept of the honeymoon period, however again, I agree that this is subjective.
After having the album on repeat since Monday eve (luckily i work from home so thats LOTS of plays) and going to bed with my zune plugged into my ears lol - It's, for me, the best since SSOASS.

Track wise, the only song that had to grow on me was, funnily enough one that seems to be one of the more popular ones - 'The Talisman' - strange how this song is now one of my faves!
There simply isn't a single filler here.. the compositions are so well crafted too - each one sounding different and capturing the vibe of the lyrics brilliantly.

I think the standout track for me is 'Starblind' - this is already up there with my all time faves

For me stand out moments are:

The chorus in TMWWBK - i love this!
The ascending and descending fuzzy guitar bits that accentuate the main rhythm in MOM around - 1:34 holy moly!
The bit in Isle of Avalon - around 4:20 - love this its awesome lol

:shred:

MODERATOR NOTICE: This is the thread for The Final Frontier general reviews, whether they are professional, found somewhere on the web or written by forum members. Any other thread opened with a new review will be merged in here without further notice.

Has everybody read this yet? I still think it's the best review of The Final Frontier yet. Very detailed, really gets into it. If you love Maiden, this review is meant for you, the fans, not just general music fans.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/iron-maiden-the-final-frontier-review-track-by-track-264423

It used to be on wikipedia but I don't see it anymore. I'd put it up myself but I don't know how. Anybody know how to do it?

This album is definitely a good one. A very good one. A new approach.
Let's stick to these for the moment and stop comparing. It's too early to make comparisons and what for to make at all?
It will take more than a year (when the tour is over for good) to can safely judge.
Back to 2006 I was sure that AMOLAD was the best reunion one, but when the honeymoon's over it was again, BNW.

judas_rising said:
Well, in my example, those would be the people who say Iron Maiden suck.
are you suggesting that as a maiden fan  you have to like the steelers too? :lol:

definitely not but it is really great album

edit: oops didn't read right thought you said best maiden album didn't read the modern part my bad....i like this more than AMOLAD and DOD...i still like BNW a little more tho

Re: Still the best review of The Final Frontier

One of these days I will fix the official Final Frontier thread into a review thread.

I'm repeatedly surprised at the love for BNW. Maybe it's because I wasn't yet a fan when it came out, but I don't get the love for it. It's too light for me, and has lots of repetitive choruses. I think the only highlights (IMO) would be Adrian's Wicker Man solo and the breakdown of Nomad (which is incidentally ripped from another band's song). I much prefer the heavier and meaner AMOLAD. Sure, it's repetitive too, but they switch up the music under the repeated lines enough that it doesn't bother me.

Anyway, It will take some time before I can decide if TFF edges out AMOLAD for me.

I could tell there was alot going on with these songs that I couldn't hear blasting it in my car & on my home theater. So I put the headphones on last night. WOW!!!!! I recommend everyone do this! It takes the album to a whole new level.

I wasn't a big fan of Isle of Avalon & TMWWBK. After last night, Avalon is damn good. I would have to say the only song I don't like is TMWWBK. And I actually like most of it, I just can't stand the boring verse. That riff is so boring, this song could have been amazing had they decided to be a lil more creative.

I wouldn't compare it to the 80's stuff but I can honestly say, I would take this album before Somwehere in Time, any of the 90's stuff, & ahead of the rest of the post reunion material. Which to me, was hit or miss. All in all, I see alot of ppl I talk to or read elsewhere hate it. I can see how it could turn people off. People can't come to grips that the 80's Maiden is long gone except for scattered songs here & there. It's a totally differet band now.

Well I'm not going to make any calls right now, although this does feel an awful lot like how I felt when I got Brave New World many years ago. The difference? My taste is much more sophisticated than it was 9 years ago. So, if I can get this riled up over something (40 posts in 2 days...) then there has to be SOMETHING extra to it.

Don't get me wrong, lifelong maiden fan, love em, and everything, loved DoD and AMoLaD, but I was not this elated for those. However, I guess I need to remember that this is the first album in years and I just saw Maiden in June.

Nice to see there's some fellow Zune fans! I'm one of the mods over at anythingbutipod, great place btw.

This album is growing on me a lot and I'm sure will rest at the top of my favorites (which always rotates). At this point my only complaint is Bruce sounds a little uninspired in a couple parts but more than makes up for it the rest of the album. I'm very bummed to hear they're not going to release any singles for this.... I alwlays looked forward to b-sides, live tracks, alternate mixes, etc.

I have been listening to this on my Zune as well.  I do not know where this will eventiually rank, but I will say I had high expectations and they seem to have blown right past them.  This is an awesome piece of work, there is certaily something  special about it (as there is with most all Maiden albums).

There is so much cool stuff going on in these songs, it is almost hard to digest.

They needed to get George Marino to master this though.

Suicidehummer said:
I'm repeatedly surprised at the love for BNW. Maybe it's because I wasn't yet a fan when it came out, but I don't get the love for it. It's too light for me, and has lots of repetitive choruses. I think the only highlights (IMO) would be Adrian's Wicker Man solo and the breakdown of Nomad (which is incidentally ripped from another band's song). I much prefer the heavier and meaner AMOLAD. Sure, it's repetitive too, but they switch up the music under the repeated lines enough that it doesn't bother me.

Nope, you're not alone.  I've never been that big on Brave New World either and I had been a fan for a good 10 years when it came out.  It was nice to have Bruce and Adrian on a Maiden album again, and I have to imagine some of the affinity folks have for this record is because of that alone, but the entire work just doesn't cut it for me.  I like the first 3 songs and Thin Line, and the rest I can really take or leave.  It is pretty soft and has little to no grit at all.  AMOLAD has grit and the darkness I want out of a Maiden album.

(again, still haven't heard TFF yet) 

…does this need to be its own thread?

Yes.

Why are you being so piffy about the threads lately?

Besides, this thread is unique in it's proclamation.

EDIT: I'm being funny by saying you're piffy, BTW.

hallowed_bemy_name said:
All in all, I see alot of ppl I talk to or read elsewhere hate it. I can see how it could turn people off. People can't come to grips that the 80's Maiden is long gone except for scattered songs here & there. It's a totally differet band now.
If the internet existed during the release of "Somewhere in Time" and SSOASS(to a lesser degree) there would be a riot caused by the extreme hate for these albums .

Re: Highlights and/or shortcoming on Final Frontier? (Spoilers.)

The Isle of Avalon "chorus" is beautiful. That was the first part of the album I made sure to learn the lyrics to so I could sing along  :D

Re: Highlights and/or shortcoming on Final Frontier? (Spoilers.)

Im starting to think that starblind could be my favourite song. Love the lyrics and that hardcore riff.

it 's difficult to rite this words, being listening the album nonstop, my wife thought it was funny in the first day me going crazy with a album of maiden, but 50 hours later i still haven 't stop. she got upset i have read the opinions in the several threads and there, s much being said... the solos, the lyrics, comparisons, and i now that different generations of maiden fans have different taste in album choices and maidens periods, i was going to by the cd but today i added the lp, and for me this say 's a lot. i 'm still catatonic with this work, i do 'nt now if i Should laugh or cry, close my eyes or jump of joy you may call it honeymoon... my first reaction was a perfect 10, then a top 5 album.... i, ve try to find a worst song, a less good one, my favourite...... i can't
The Final Frontier has all to be the best album ever of Iron Maiden!
i like to say more tings but really it's very difficult i'm writing this over 30 minutes now ...the music is just something out of this world

Back