The Edge of Darkness

How good is The Edge of Darkness on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Edge of Darkness

I purchased both Blaze fronted albums a couple of years ago. When I first heard X Factor shortly after it's release, I didn't buy it because I simply didn't like it. I admit to never giving it much of a chance at the time, but even after multiple (almost forced) listenings, not much has grown on me. There are exeptions, but very few. As I've stated, I just fail to appreciate much about Blaze's vocals... I say that almost apologetically to you guys that like him. Steve and the rest of the boys always sound good to me but Blaze just doesn't sound right in front of them. There have been a lot of Maiden tunes that have taken awhile for me to appreciate fully, including Blaze's material (God help me, I quite like TAATG), but very little off the two albums with him would make that list.

Textbook Harris songwriting imagery. The intro drips the slow, feverish sweat of the deep jungle. Then comes the decisive march in, the loss of control, the moment when the madness realizes clarity and the retreat back into the dank, dense impenetrable night. Probably the second-best track on the album and definitely climbing my personal list. Nine.

This is a damn fine song, but there are two things that drag it a little down:

- The lyrics are, for a great part, copy-paste from the movie it is based on. Too much for my liking.

- Sometimes slow, moody intro works fine, other times it doesn't. I think this one uses too much time before getting to the point. Had it been more melodic, it would've been fine.

Apart from this, great song. I particularly like that guitar harmony part before Dave takes over the solo (4:33 - 4:39) and the one that follows the solo.

8/10, once again. I think I've given more 8s to The X Factor than any of the previous albums ...

Sorry to disturb the party but I don't share this enormous enthusiasm. I do not find this a fantastic performance of Blaze. He sounds more monotone here, and very repetitive (in case people disagree, I think this could be measured objectively). The same lines keep coming. I don't think that's entirely Blaze's fault. The thing is, this song is repetitive, compared to the average level of repetition on this album.

I guess, with Maiden I prefer songs with more variety, especially when they have such length.
And if there’s less variety then I need at least one or too awesome solos or melodies, or some mindblowing riffs. None of this is the case here.

I find the drumming a bit messy during the solos. The combination of the rhythm in the fast couplets and the opening guitar melody sounds like a worse version of Hallowed Be Thy Name.

When it first came out as a b-side (before the album came out) I might have given it an 8 or 9, but over the years other songs have lasted better.
One year later a certain song called Virus came out. It also has a long, slow intro but the melodies in the rest of the song are way more enthralling.

The atmosphere in the strong beginning really draws me into this song, and the repetition is really not a problem. I have more problem with that aspect in the fast parts. The energy still pushes the grade to a very high 7, but can’t reach the average judgement of this forum.

10/10. This was the first track that I loved from this album. And I still can't really fault it much.

Funnily enough, this is the song from the album that took the longest to grow on me. Now I enjoy it as much as the others, for all the reasons that have been mentioned. A creepy, nightmarish piece of music, much like the film it is based on... 10/10.

Again, I'm late to the comments, and the relevant stuff has already been said.  I love the heaviness and power of this song.  9/10.  This is about as close as a song can go to a 10 yet not be a 10.  I still hope to hear this live by Blaze some day; he does play it live sometimes, just hasn't those times I've seen him.

9/10 from me, and my second favorite song off the album after Sign of the Cross.  It's always reminded me of Hallowed, especially the riffs.  I think this song features some of Blaze's best vocals and again, it's not overlong.  Great song, I'm so glad I was able to see it live.

Forostar said:
Sorry to disturb the party but I don't share this enormous enthusiasm. I do not find this a fantastic performance of Blaze. He sounds more monotone here, and very repetitive (in case people disagree, I think this could be measured objectively). The same lines keep coming. I don't think that's entirely Blaze's fault. The thing is, this song is repetitive, compared to the average level of repetition on this album.The atmosphere in the strong beginning really draws me into this song, and the repetition is really not a problem. I have more problem with that aspect in the fast parts. The energy still pushes the grade to a very high 7, but can’t reach the average judgement of this forum.

I agree with this, I think Blaze is partly to blame.  Bruce can sing the same line over and over, but vary the delivery enought o keep it intersting.  Blaze delivers every like in almost the same manner, when you add repetitive words, it is evern worse.  Standalone, this is a really solid song  I would give it a 7.  But again after listening to the same vocals song after song, it gets a 5 at this point in the album.

Re: 'The Edge Of Darkness'

This song is one of my least favorites. I know a lot of people like it but this one just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. 6/10

Amazing performance from Blaze, and the rest of the band too of course! Instrumentals are awesome. :edmetal: 10/10.
How long is this going to be the "daily" song?

Until I get around to bringing up the next one, which depends on my work schedule and apathy level. It's going to be right now - don't ask again, else I will probably leave it unchanged for a week.

The intro melody sounds too familiar. But when the stuff comes rolling, it rolls like a fucking Rickroll frenzy. The gallop is insane and the solos are good too. It can't be 10, because it's not quite up there. And it can't be 9 either, although lyrics are strong, they are direct quotes of the movie on several places. And it follows an usual Harris style "mini-epic" pattern. But it's 8. A very strong 8.

The main riff is just about the only good thing on this song. First 2 minutes are incredibly boring, and the song as a whole goes nowhere. 4/10.

Back