The Concert Thread

Opera and Gojira? You lucky gits.

Edit: Opeth! Bloody predictive text.

Last edited:
The Red Rocks show was awesome. You could tell that all three bands were pretty amazed by the venue. They all commented on the amount of people, I'm guessing this was probably the biggest show each of them have played at least in America (not counting festivals and such).

Devin Townsend rocked. It was a slightly different setlist from what I saw in Vegas late last year so that was a nice surprise.
It was also interesting hearing him solo on Failure. On the album and subsequent tour it was pretty obvious that he was a little rusty with soloing since he hadn't really recorded a solo in a long time, but last night he nailed it. He's come a long way in a relatively short period.

Gojira were cool. I was surprised that I recognized most of the songs they played. Unsurprisingly, they're a great live band. Lots of energy and the way they play in sync on those tight rhythms is pretty impressive. No major hiccups as far as that goes (although there was a technical error that forced them to start one song over).
It was very heavy on the new album but it was a good selection IMO. I don't hate the new album although it's certainly different. But I thought the new songs fit in reasonably well with everything else. Glad they didn't go with Shooting Star as the opener because that song is a bit of a bore on the album. My only complaint is I would've liked to have seen Ocean Planet instead of Backbone. Or maybe just more From Mars to Sirius and less of the other albums. We did get Flying Whales though which was a major highlight. Also WTF why the drum solo? Especially during a coheadlining show when you have a limited set time. Could've played another song.

And finally, OPETH. Still one of the best live bands out there. Mikael's growling continues to get worse, but it's made up for by the band's energy and the fact that they aren't doing a lot of the growling songs these days anyway. Also his clean singing is still incredible. He was really on last night.

Also, they were filming last night! A DVD was hinted at, so fingers crossed.

I'm glad I didn't look at the setlist beforehand because they played ERA. That was a total surprise. The setlist up to that point was somewhat predictable, so I wasn't really expecting anything different. Obviously it's a great live song and it's still mind boggling that they didn't play it in the first place instead of Will O the Wisp. I actually think it would've made a good opener. Sorceress kinda sucked as an opener tbh. It doesn't really have any energy and they took it under tempo which didn't help. Wilde Flowers was really good though. That song came off the way I was hoping Sorceress would: more energy than on the album and a better guitar sound.

As for the rest of the set, like I said no big surprises, but still a solid setlist. Ghost of Perdition and Deliverance are always welcomed. In My Time Of Need was actually not the Damnation song I was expecting (I figured it'd be Windowpane or Hope Leaves) so that was cool. Really awesome keyboard solo too! Demon of the Fall was awesome. Glad they kept that in the set because I've only seen the acoustic version. It seems they're going the way of Maiden with their setlists though. You get one or two surprises but for the most part it's the usual suspects. It's cool that they do unexpected stuff for one-offs, but I'd like to see them get more adventurous for just their normal sets. It seems each album has the same one or two songs they usually go with.

As for the venue, Red Rocks is magical. It's a great view and the venue is set up much better than most amphitheaters. The seats aren't really seats, they're benches that you can stand on and they slope up in a way that you're not stuck looking behind whoever's in front of you. The sound is also really good for an outdoor venue. I was next to the soundboard, which always helps, but other concerts were also good sounding. There are two negatives though: First of all, it gets really cold in that area, even during the summer. It got really windy during Opeth (which also affects the sound). Secondly, it's still a large venue. I've seen both Devin and Opeth in smaller venues and it's hard to match the energy you get there. So it was awesome as a one time thing, but I'm fine seeing them at small indoor venues again in the future.

Saw two bands for the first time last night in Houston with my concert buddy (who was at the Maiden meet up last year in Chicago): Hammerfall and Delain.

Hammerfall - been waiting years to see them return to the US and they did not disappoint. Very tight performance. The singer said this was Hammerfall's most successful US tour and they won't wait seven years to return. The lady working the merch table said they sold out of L & XL men's shirts the tour has gone so well. The crowd was very receptive and the band was happy with the response. But the real eye opener of the night was...

Delain! I bought these tickets the second they went on sale seven months ago and then starting learning Delain's material. I had heard of them but not their music. At first it had to grow on me, but then I really enjoyed it. But we were not prepared for how AMAZING they are live! My buddy agrees we have got to see them again. Charlotte kept nailing the long high notes all through the set and the entire band rocked! One nice thing is I could tell how close they are through their interactions on stage. A true touring "family". This band deserves to be a lot bigger in the US.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/hammerfall/2017/scout-bar-houston-tx-43e7f7c3.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/delain/2017/scout-bar-houston-tx-2be7844a.html

Saw two bands for the first time last night in Houston with my concert buddy (who was at the Maiden meet up last year in Chicago): Hammerfall and Delain.

Hammerfall - been waiting years to see them return to the US and they did not disappoint. Very tight performance. The singer said this was Hammerfall's most successful US tour and they won't wait seven years to return. The lady working the merch table said they sold out of L & XL men's shirts the tour has gone so well. The crowd was very receptive and the band was happy with the response. But the real eye opener of the night was...

Delain! I bought these tickets the second they went on sale seven months ago and then starting learning Delain's material. I had heard of them but not their music. At first it had to grow on me, but then I really enjoyed it. But we were not prepared for how AMAZING they are live! My buddy agrees we have got to see them again. Charlotte kept nailing the long high notes all through the set and the entire band rocked! One nice thing is I could tell how close they are through their interactions on stage. A true touring "family". This band deserves to be a lot bigger in the US.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/hammerfall/2017/scout-bar-houston-tx-43e7f7c3.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/delain/2017/scout-bar-houston-tx-2be7844a.html
I saw Delain back in 2015 when they came with Iced Earth and Sabaton. Pretty good show, Iced Earth was definitely the worst of the trio.

Huh. I saw Delain when they opened for Sabaton and Nightwish and they were easily the worst of the night. She sounded like a nasally Britney Spears clone trying to do metal and the band had so many backing tracks playing it was infuriating...

Yeah, I dunno. Delain vs Sabaton and Nightwish is definitely going to be lower down, but I thought they were really good live.

IRON MAIDEN ~ The Hydro, Glasgow ~ Tuesday 16th May

Last night at The Hydro was fucking awesome! Met Niall (& co.) & Wiz mid-afternoon & had a few pints & food. Ticketless shit (why did I have to bring all that crap?!) at the doors must have been smooth as I remember absolutely nothing about that. Lost everyone instantly after we went through the second doors, but managed to find Wiz about 4-5 from the front, dead-centre, in the break between Shinedown & Maiden coming on. Love it when a plan comes together. It was a total fucking crush (don't know what the crowd was like further back), but I managed to get on the barrier pretty early and hung on in there for the whole show. I could periodically see Wiz's poor crushed face a few rows back when I could turn to look. I think I used every muscle in my body just trying to hold my own down there & breath; quite achy this morning. But bang in the middle & right at the front (never been that close to the stage at a big concert); great view of the whole band. Also, those pyro flames are actually pretty hot when you're at the front. Staff were pretty cool too, handing out water to the crowd, & checking people were okay as crowd-surfer after crowd-surfer got hauled over the guys right on the barrier. The Hydro looks immense from the front of the stage (when I turned round to look). Band seemed to be on fire; Bruce was particularly chirpy & all of them are looking pretty lean & healthy too. Think there was sound issues reported early on, but can't say I heard this or noticed. Superb.

Last edited:
I kinda got stuck at the doors going to the floor of the arena; I'd put everything back in my pockets & couldn't find that little stub thing to show the guy to get in. That's why I lost you guys straight away after we bought drinks. Anyway, I stood to the side & then saw the toilets & thought "I'll go in there out of the way and have a good look through my pockets". So I went in & there were a lot of cubicles for the guy's toilets. But a dude came out of one, so I didn't think anything; it was quiet otherwise, nobody about. I put my pint down at the sink & started getting out various bits of paper, trying to find that wee "ticket" stub thing. Then I noticed a few women at the sinks. Then it dawned on me that I was in the wrong toilets! Security guy came in as I was leaving trying to tell another dude (then me) that we were in the wrong toilets. There's no door, the toilet area is huge, just two corridors, one going left and one going right...

:facepalm:

Fresh off the back of Maiden in Glasgow & Aberdeen, tomorrow I go to see Guns n Roses at Slane Castle, Ireland. Gonna be fuckin deadly.
It pretty much guaranteed that they will play all the tunes I love but am hope for a curve ball of Don't Damn Me. Better would also be a treat.:rocker::shred::edmetal:

3 hour set from Guns n Roses. Torrential rain before the show just added to the atmosphere. Sound was good, band where great, Axl was in top form and highly energetic and sounding great. More costume changes than Cheryl Tweedy, too. A totally bangin show, rounded off with a dangerous amount of fireworks.
80,000 people, sold out. Those fuckers need to make an album and tour again.

Well, now, the first gin was consumed at approximately 10.45am but the bars in the town and the venue were too busy for hardcore drinkin. Still, I made use of the '4 Drink Maximum' at the bar a few times before GnR came on.

Back