The Concert Thread

My current concert schedule looks like this:

13th March - Devin Townsend Project
21st April - Chris De Burgh
21st May - Iron Maiden

I really want to go and see Saxon in Wolverhampton next month, but I'll no doubt be working. Adult responsibilites suck...

Forgot to mention I saw him over the weekend. Exceeded my expectations. The backing tracks were much more understated than they are on the DVDs and Devin is a world class entertainer. Played to a half empty venue and still gave it 100%. He even mentioned being sick but his voice still sounded great. The set list was good too. Didn't play everything of course, but it was a good variety of material. Definitely going to be seeing him every time he's in town now.

Forgot to mention I saw him over the weekend. Exceeded my expectations. The backing tracks were much more understated than they are on the DVDs and Devin is a world class entertainer. Played to a half empty venue and still gave it 100%. He even mentioned being sick but his voice still sounded great. The set list was good too. Didn't play everything of course, but it was a good variety of material. Definitely going to be seeing him every time he's in town now.

That's great, I've been itching to go and see him for a few years now, and it always seems like never gives a half arsed performance even when he's not feeling too well. I'm hoping I can get more into Transcendence before I see him though. :)

My concert schedule has been updated since I last posted. I was picked in a ballot to buy tickets for Frank Turner's 2,000th show, in Nottingham in December. I'm very much looking forward to that. And a friend of mine has offered me a free ticket to go and see Goo Goo Dolls with him tomorrow night in Birmingham. I'm not a massive fan of them, but it's live music and it's free so I'm not going it turn it down.:bigsmile:

So updated concert list -
13th October - Goo Goo Dolls
15th December - Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls
21st April - Chris De Burgh
21st May - Iron Maiden

:)

Last edited:
So I saw Bad Company last night with my dad. Richie Sambora and his spouse opened the show, and Dead Or Alive and Living On A Prayer were definitely highlights, but I liked his Imagine opening. Then, we got to Bad Company, and holy hell, Paul Rodgers has still got it. I can definitely see now why Queen considered him as a replacement for Freddie Mercury, a powerful voice, great interactions with the crowd and a beaming charisma. The drumming and guitar was superb also. A lot of fun and I got caught up into chanting and singing many times during the night.

Their European stage looks so cool, saw a picture of it on FB last night.

Oh really? I missed that. I thought their first show was tonight. The stage set they had at Download was great.

Good gig. First I've been to since Maiden in Oslo. It looks like quite a few people only went for Testament, as the audience thinned somewhat before Amon Amarth came on.

AA's stage show was more ambitious than when I saw them on their Deceiver of the Gods tour. Not as much fun audience engagement, but I think a lot was put into the music and creating atmosphere, especially for their newer music. The stage show featured appearances by armoured viking warriors, including a stage fight, but they didn't have the pyros or giant serpent at Manchester that they posted on their FB page recently. I thought the setlist was quite a brave choice - only a handful of classics, several songs from the new album, and 2-3 from Deceiver of the Gods. I was pleased with their selection from Jomsviking. One Thousand Burning Arrows was most unexpected but really came into its own performed live.

I just got back from Steel Panther.. very weird show. They attracted the worst crowd possible.. The floor was just filled with the types of people you wouldn't want to see at a concert.. I though their show was good, the people make me not want to go back..

My next concert will be Chevelle in January..

Succumbed and bought tickets for Black Sabbath's show in Manchester in January, bit miffed that I couldn't get tickets to see them in Birmingham like last time. But I'm just grateful that I'm seeing them for the third and final time! Also, my friend offered me a ticket to go and see Gojira/Volbeat/Alter Bridge in Birmingham, in a few weeks. So that should be good!

So my updated concert schedule -

27/11/16 - Gojira/Volbeat/Alter Bridge
15/12/16 - Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls
22/1/17 - Black Sabbath
13/3/17 - Devin Townsend Project
21/4/17 - Chris De Burgh
21/5/17 - Iron Maiden

Exciting times ahead! :D

Amon Amarth were frakking incredible the other night. Unlike the Manchester show, most people were there to see Amon Amarth instead of Testament. I mainly went to see Testament who were ok but it wasn't the best performance I've seen from them, although there was a healthy dose of new songs in the setlist. The sound and atmosphere for Amon Amarth were excellent - I'm glad I went despite only recognizing about half of their songs. :)

Amon Amarth were frakking incredible the other night. Unlike the Manchester show, most people were there to see Amon Amarth instead of Testament. I mainly went to see Testament who were ok but it wasn't the best performance I've seen from them, although there was a healthy dose of new songs in the setlist. The sound and atmosphere for Amon Amarth were excellent - I'm glad I went despite only recognizing about half of their songs. :)
Glad to hear this. :) Testament put in a solid performance at Manchester, but not being much of a fan myself I lost interest.

Not metal, but saw a great vocal performance from Ingrid Michaelson Friday night. She said from the stage she was getting over a cold. Could have fooled me. Hit the notes and held them! In between the songs when she was talking to the crowd is when I found out what a sarcastic, foul mouth wise ass she is! Then again, what other kind of attitude should I expect from a New Yorker...:dancinggeek:

I'm currently at a Taksim Trio gig. It's a Turkish jazz trio that consists of three virtuosos on qanun, bağlama and clarinet. It's so fucking amazing that I had to post about it during the break. Best gig I've ever been to, and I've been to gigs of my two favorite bands (Maiden and Opeth) before.

Make sure you check them out if they're ever in your country.

Back